INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with synching to new iPod  (Read 744 times)

BumJr

• nothing more to say...
Problems with synching to new iPod
« on: May 08, 2003, 02:32:55 pm »

I am having a problem synching in MC9 to my new 30 GB iPod.

I am using a Sony Vaio (built-in iLink) running Windows 98SE.

Following recommendations of this and similar forums, my computer has never seen MMJB.  I only used the Apple CD to do a restore from explorer and have never AutoRun the Apple CD.

I have MC9 version 9.0.170 (still on my 30-day temp license) with Handheld plug-in 9.0.016.  Despite the listing of newer versions on the forum, if I check for updates within MC9 it says there are no new updates.  Also, if I try to download the 9.0.017 version of the iPod plug-in, it fails with the message "Failed to install package.  Destination file in use.  c:\windows\temp\ipod\hh_portable.dll."

Despite MC9 crashing a few times, I have managed to rip three CDs for practice at 160 kbits/s into mp3 format using "Digital Secure" and the mp3 plug-in encoder based on LAME.  These files seem to play fine under MC9.

I have modified the tags to suit my needs and created 4 playlists from the files with no problem.

My iPod has been restored (several times now after each set of problems).  I connect the iPod to the computer and it recognizes it.  I get the "Do not disconnect" screen (I assume this is normal) and if I use the 6-pin connector it charges (my computer has both 6 and 4-pin connectors).  I can see the drive in Explorer.

MC9 recognizes the iPod and I follow instructions to format the iPod under MC9.  That takes a few seconds.

I then right-clicked on the iPod and chose "synchronize files".  I choose the 4 playlists that I created (I have also tried this with just one playlist).  MC9 does its thing and I get a message "File Upload Error" with a long list of the files that didn't get uploaded.

In MC9, the playlists appear under the iPod icon but there is only one line with an 8-digit track number (example 186655168), a duration of 93:02:47 and a bitrate of 1.

There is nothing on the iPod except once I saw one of the playlists named but there was nothing else there.

Any suggestions to correct my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Also, once this is solved, does anyone have a suggestion about naming conventions in the iPod database, specifically how many characters should I limit things to in naming a playlist, Artist, Album, Composer, etc, givien the font that is used in the iPod.  My iPod will be used almost 100% for classical music.  Each movement of a piece is a separate file and my playlists list the movements of a given work.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with synching to new iPod
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 03:31:53 pm »

There is an iPod support thread here that has a lot of problems and solutions.  If you don't find an answer there, please copy and paste this there.

I'll close this thread now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up