INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Media 9 Required?  (Read 1797 times)

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Windows Media 9 Required?
« on: May 07, 2003, 08:48:07 am »

OK - maybe I'm just an idiot, but every time I try to play a wma file in MC9, I'm asked if I want to install Windows Media Player 9.  I've config'd MC to handle ALL Audio types and nothing seems to have taken ownership of these.  I also have installed all 3 wma encoders.  If I choose not to download and install WMP9, MC crashes.  Not a nice scenario.  So what am I missing?  Any ideas welcome.  Thanks!  :o

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Media 9 Required?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 08:58:31 am »

Update MC?

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 09:01:15 am »

Oh - yes.  Updated to 9.0.170 right now.   Problem had been a problem for quite a while - at least the past 3 updates.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 09:15:58 am »

Certain file types require Windows Media 9 (not the player -- just the codecs)

If you're still having problems, could you paste your system info here? (from Help->System Info...)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 09:59:48 am »

How do I load the codecs without loading the player?  Is that even possible without wreaking havoc on the system?  Here's the sys info:
Media Center Registered 9.0.170 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
Intel Unknown 864 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Thanks again!

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 10:06:11 am »

skaterbyte,

Try installing package from the following URL:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/windowsmedia9.mjp

The package contains Window Media 9 codec.

Nikolay

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 10:13:54 am »

Thanks JimH and Matt.  I quess I am an idiot.  Just for giggles I decided to "OK" the download for WMP9.  MC9 still crashed, but it also downloaded and installed WMP9 functionality.  There is nothing new in the plug-in encoders or input, but the wma files now work.  Could it be the encoder mapping was lost during the recent updates?  Just a thought.  Thank for your help and time, I do appreciate it.  If you wish to continue troubleshooting the crash, please let me know.  But at this point, I get so many crashes (from all sources), I've just grown used to it.  Time for a format ;-)

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 10:14:52 am »

Thanks Nicolay.  I think I did just that.  Up and running (for now).

Marko

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 12:23:38 pm »

I'm really inclined to believe that there's something amiss with the plugin d'load features.
I've reported before that, when running through MC's options dialogue, and reaching the encoding settings, choosing mp3 or mpc throws a prompt that the required plugins are not installed and ask if the user wishes to d'load them now. Choosing 'Yes' sends MC off to find the plugin, which it does, it then d'loads and installs the plugin, and finally throws a dialogue that the task completed successfully. Clicking the OK button on this dialogue always causes MC to crash, losing any settings made in 'Options' prior to arriving at the 'encoding' options.
Going directly to the website and d'loading the plugins from there does not cause MC to crash. "so what's the problem" is basically the response I got. The problem is that it's extremely irritating, and as without doubt, retrieving the plugins from MC internally, as and when it informs you that you need to is by far the easier option, and most new users will surely go this way, which means that a lot of new users will experience their 1st MC crash very early in their trials which surely cannot be a good thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up