INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming vs direct play  (Read 843 times)

lpinion

• Recent member
Streaming vs direct play
« on: October 18, 2019, 03:52:25 am »

I have two PCs. One is a Win 7 desktop and the other is an Intel NUC with Audiolinux OS. They both run JRMC25. When I run either one connected to a USB DAC the NUC setup understandably sounds better than the Win 7 PC one. It is optimised for that. When I 'bridge' them as shown in the diagram and stream the NUC library using the Win 7 PC the sound quality still improves over the NUC setup alone (direct play).
I am hoping someone who understands how the streaming works can shed some light on why the sound quality is better in this setup. Any opinions are welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming vs direct play
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 03:56:11 am »

The sound quality will depend on the DAC.  If you're using the same DAC in your testing, then either you're hearing something that isn't there, or the volume isn't the same.

lpinion

• Recent member
Re: Streaming vs direct play
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:05:21 am »

@JimH ;D
I am using the same DAC-not sure how the volume would change. My hearing aside, are you suggesting that the software/setup has no effect on the perceived sound from the DAC? That would be odd?
When I load the NUC library on the Win 7 PC and stream to NUC in the above setup, which unit is 'playing' the audio file?
Pages: [1]   Go Up