INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control and media keys  (Read 2591 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Volume control and media keys
« on: November 20, 2019, 04:16:14 pm »

So, I'm a longtime user and on-again-off-again beta tester (Hi Jim, Matt and any others still around that I used to chat with!). While I've consistently used MC for organization media/management, using it for actual playback has waxed and waned over the years depending on what I'm doing. I've been using MC more and more again lately for playback and while MC has always had some quirks all its own, this is one that I seem to be battling with constantly. If there's some combination of settings that will address this, I've been unable to suss out what it might be.

Quite simply, I want MC to behave like a native Windows application when it comes to how media keys and volume control work. I'd like for the playback media keys to control MC whether it's the active window or not, and I want the volume control key, whether it's on my keyboard, headset, or speakers to change the system volume, show the Windows volume UI, etc.

Currently, there are two media key modes (other than Disabled and Automatic).

1. App Commands: Leaves the volume control to Windows as I want, but doesn't control MC unless it's the focused window. For this reason I prefer to use the Hotkeys option. However...
2. Hotkeys: Controls MC no matter if it's the active window or not, but then the volume control keys are intercepted by MC as well. And then the behavior is all over the map depending on which volume mode I'm using.

If I have it set to application volume, then only MC's volume is changed rather than the full system volume. If I use System Volume, then I can change the full system volume, but there's no UI popup and I lose the ability to lower MC's volume in the mix. And most frustrating is that volume control on my Logitech G935 headset does nothing at all in either of these two modes. MC's UI shows the volume change, but the volume doesn't actually change. The only way my headset can actually control audio in MC is to use the Internal Volume setting, which I don't like because it doesn't play nice with Windows volume mixer. In every other Windows application, volume control works consistently whether I'm using the volume slider in Windows, on my keyboard, headset, or desktop speakers. Unfortunately this isn't the case with MC.

It seems like the current options are geared towards a use case where MC is the only thing generating audio on the system. And in that case it would be fine (although the lack of Windows Volume UI is still sorely missed), but neither of these are ideal when I'm doing something like playing a game with MC playing in the background. It's sort of forced my hand to just use Spotify if I want to do anything else that uses audio at the same time as listening to music. And I'd much prefer the higher quality audio that MC has to offer.

Help?

Can there be a third Media Key mode (or whatever would make this work)? One that behaves like Hotkeys for things like Play/Pause, Next, etc., meaning it works whether MC is in focus or not, but allows the volume keys to passthrough to Windows?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Volume control and media keys
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »

Can there be a third Media Key mode (or whatever would make this work)? One that behaves like Hotkeys for things like Play/Pause, Next, etc., meaning it works whether MC is in focus or not, but allows the volume keys to passthrough to Windows?

Interesting idea.  Let me look deeper tomorrow.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »

Hi Doof. 

Is Media Server running?

In MC's Volume settings, is it set to Exclusive Mode?

I have a dim memory of some Logitech software causing problems in the past ...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:00 pm »

Hi Doof.

Hi Jim! How're things?

Is Media Server running?

No, it's not.

In MC's Volume settings, is it set to Exclusive Mode?

I don't see an "Exclusive" mode anywhere. Not sure if you mean Internal mode? If so, I've tried them all.

I have a dim memory of some Logitech software causing problems in the past ...

Possibly, but that particular issue seems to only affect the volume knob on my headset, not the keyboard, which is also by Logitech.

Interesting idea.  Let me look deeper tomorrow.  Thanks.

Thanks, Matt! Hope things are well with you!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »

I should have said Audio settings, not Volume settings.   Sorry.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:15:57 am »

Next build we'll try this:
NEW: Added the media key mode "Hot keys (ignore volume)" to leave volume commands to the system.

Please let me know how it works once the build ships.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:57:42 am »

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 08:39:51 am »

Works perfectly! Thanks, Matt! You're the best!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 08:43:52 am »

Sound of cheering!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 08:44:29 am »

You, too, Doof!  Thanks for the nudge.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 06:09:19 pm »

Next build we'll try this:
NEW: Added the media key mode "Hot keys (ignore volume)" to leave volume commands to the system.

Please let me know how it works once the build ships.

Thanks!

Where is the "Media Key Mode" setting located?

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 02:34:43 pm »

Where is the "Media Key Mode" setting located?
I know this was posted a while ago but for anyone else who reads the thread, like me, and still wonders where the settings are they are in: Tools>Options>General>Advanced>Media Key Mode
Pages: [1]   Go Up