INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming my library to my car  (Read 1815 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
Streaming my library to my car
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:41:53 am »

I've searched the forums but haven't found an adequate explanation on how to do this.
I'm fairly computer savvy but routers are not my specialty.
I think I have to let forward something and not sure which ip address to use.
Can anyone give me some detailed steps?
I should also ask what app to use on my phone to control?  Gizmo or something newer?
I sincerely appreciate it!
Drew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming my library to my car
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »

In your Router you have to Port Forward port 52199 to port 52199 and the IP Address of your MC Server. This will likely only work if your MC Server is on all the time, and isn't allowed to sleep. Gizmo, for example, will send WOL (Wake On LAN) packets to wake your MC Server, but most consumer routers won't allow the WOL packets through, and even if it does, won't allow them to be broadcast on your LAN, for security reasons.

Search the forum for "Port Forwarding" and "Wake On LAN", WOL, "Wake On WAN", and WOW for more information.

If your MC Server is always on, Gizmo actually works pretty well. But the new JRemote2 on Android is probably a better solution, or JRemote on iOS. Also, MO 4Media could do this.

Or are you trying to use Android Auto in your car to connect to your MC Server, or the Apple version of car audio? You haven't given any information about your environment and hardware.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »

Thank you for your reply.  I am using Windows 10 and is never off - I want to use my Samsung phone in the car with Gizmo.  When you say port 52199 and the IP address of the MC server, is there a particular I need to use (is the port # put at the end of the IP with a colon?).  Is there an easy way to find the IP address of MCServer?  Sorry for such basic questions - as you can see, I'm a router novice.

Thanks, again, for your help,
Drew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 05:44:41 pm »

On your MC Server, open a Command Prompt window and run the command "ipconfig" without quotes. That will show the IPv4 address of your PC. See the first attached image with highlights for an example.

That address will also be visible in your Router web interface. You will need to work out how to get into that interface to set up Port Forwarding. Often it is just by entering the IP Address of your Router into a web browser address bar, such as 192.168.0.1 for many Netgear routers.

How you set up Port Forwarding depends on what Router you have. What is the Brand and Model of Router you are using?

For example, my ISP (Telstra) supplied Arcadyan LH1000 Smart Modem Gen2 Port Forwarding setup screen looks like the second attached image. The settings page may look completely different on your router, but it will have the same elements; a Rule Name, WAN Port on which packets are received from the internet, LAN Port to forward those packet to, and an IP Address to forward those packet to.

Once the Port Forwarding is set up in your Router, and your Samsung is connected to your mobile service provider with data, Gizmo will just find your MC Server using the JRiver Access Key, just like it would if your Samsung was connected to your network at home via Wi-Fi.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »

Sorry for the delay getting back.  I use a TP Link ac2300 router.  On my screen (if I'm on the right screen) it is asking for service type, external port, internal ip, internal port, and protocol.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:14:20 pm »

As per page 55-57 in the User Manual.

service type: HTTP. I suspect that setting just changes what data is asked for, and sets defaults for the other fields. Overwrite the defaults as below.
external port: 52199, because Gizmo uses that and you can't change it.
internal IP: The IP Address of your MC Server, as determined above.
internal port: 52199, assuming that you are using the default port in your MC Media Network setup.
protocol: TCP

You should also set up a DHCP IP Address Reservation for your MC Server, so that it always gets the same LAN IP Address. The User Manual suggests using a Static IP Address, but that is not recommended. Your router supports setting up a DHCP IP Address Reservation, so this is strongly recommended. See page 72 of the User Manual.

I suggest that you just assign the current IP Address as the one to reserve for you MC Server, as that is working now. It looks like you can Scan the network to find the MAC Address, which is required to set up a DHCP IP Address Reservation. If you can't work out which MAC Address to use, just open a Windows Command Prompt window again and run the command "ipconfig /all" without quotes. The MAC Address is called the "Physical Address" in the output from the  "ipconfig /all" command. See the attached image. Give the reservation a Description that makes sense, like "MC Server" or maybe the name of the PC that runs the MC Server.

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:44:18 am »

You got me up and running:) Working well so far. Thank you so much for the time you spent researching all of this for me:)
One last simple question - is there now a way for me to play my files from my work computer? I can't install JRiver, so I didn't know if there is another way to play the files (other than connecting my phone to my work laptop, which I can do if there isn't another option).
Again, thanks a bunch:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 07:07:49 am »

Panel should work.  Connect to your home's IP address from a browser on port 52199.

Set authentication on the server.

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 02:14:12 pm »

Sorry for the basic follow up - how do I get Panel involved here? On my server computer?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 04:46:12 pm »

Well, that can be very easy... or very hard.

The world is changing IP Address formatting from IPv4 to IPv6. MC does not work with IPv6 at all at the moment, to the best of my knowledge.

The very easiest.
As per the Wiki Jim posted, just enter the URL https://jriver.com/panel.html into a browser on your work PC. You will need to know your JRiver MC Server Access Key to connect to your home MC Server from outside your network.

So, simple:
If you know the external IP Address of your network, let's say it is 150.148.233.96, then you could also just enter this URL into a browser on your work PC.

150.148.233.96:52199

You can look in your router interface for your external IP Address, or visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/ or similar sites. For example, https://www.whatsmyip.org/ will show you your Hostname, which often has your IP Address embedded in it.

You can even look up what JRiver knows about your IP Addresses using the URL: http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id={Your Access Key here without brackets}

Both above methods work fine from my Android phone connected to the mobile network using mobile data, so from a point external to my home network. They don't work from a PC at home though, so don't try testing this from home. I suspect my ISP is blocking packets that originate from my home network and then want to be sent back to the external IP Address of my home network, or something like that. It may be my router rather than my ISP. Anyway, that sort of addressing should work from your work PC to your MC Server at home... as long as your IT people allow those sorts of connections.

A little bit harder:
Typically your external IP Address will not stay the same all the time. ISP change them as they wish. The Access Key method above gets around that issue as MC updates the IP Addresses associated with the Access Key regularly. As long as an IPv4 address is visible to the external world.

Another solution, if you didn't want to use the Access Key method, is to ask your ISP for a Static external IP Address. Some will do that for you. Some will not. Sometimes if you explain that you have a server you need to access from outside your home, they will do it. Sometimes they will want to charge you for the service.

Yet another solution is to use a Dynamic DNS service, which will provide you with a Domain Name for your home. i.e. Zonka.dyndns.org The DynDNS service used to be free, but now costs $25 a year. There are probably still free services out there, but you are in luck, as TP-Link provides a service. It may also be free. You will have to check. See page 73 of your User Manual. Let's assume that you used the TP-Link Dynamic DNS service, and got the Domain Name zonka.tp-link.org, then you would just enter this URL into a browser on your work PC.

zonka.tp-link.org:52199

Much harder
Some ISPs don't actually issue IPv4 addresses to customers any more. They put customers behind a Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (NAT) router.

The good news is that with those ISPs you can typically ask for a Static external IP Address, as above. If they won't do that you are pretty much stuck I think. I don't think Dynamic DNS services work through a Carrier Grade NAT, but I haven't researched that. Your ISP should be able to advise though.

In my case, in Australia, I don't have a Static external IP Address, but my address doesn't change that often, and there is an external IPv4 address visible to the world. Hopefully, you are in a similar situation and the simple method above will work. At a minimum, if you note your external IP Address while at home you could use that to test if the simple URL above works from your work PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up