INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes 4 for Windows  (Read 2231 times)

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
iTunes 4 for Windows
« on: April 29, 2003, 06:38:47 am »

Anyone have any thoughts about the announcement that Apple will probably release iTunes 4 for WinPCs toward the end of this year, and how that might affect (positively or negatively) the future plans for Media Center?

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
Re: iTunes 4 for Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 08:32:37 am »

Yes, I did hear that rumor, which is OK by me.  Besides MJ/MC, there's really no product that can boast the features of iTunes on PC.

That said, tho, MC has many more features.  I'll keep using MC.  Of course, we could try talking Apple into integrating iTunes Music Store into MC instead of making their own... that would be pretty darn cool.

Dan "da Man"

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 09:55:49 am »

I am excited about the proposed port of iTunes for Windows.  This means that Windows-formatted iPods will ship with software which can take full advantage of all (previously-disabled) features.

This, in turn, assures me that these previously-disabled features will now be available for third-party developers, like J River, to build upon.  This means that in the future, MC9 can incorporate:

Play count/last-played date info from iPod to MC
On the fly rating data from iPod to MC
The iPod's "Sound Check" feature

And so on.  Hooray for Apple for finally seeing the light and shipping halfway decent software with their Windows iPods.

Course, that doesn't mean that I'll switch to iTunes.  I'm just glad that it's coming.  Sure, I'm glad for all of the "wrong" reasons (at least from Apple's point of view), but I'm still glad.  :D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Synesthesiatic

• Recent member
  • If anybody needs me, I'll be in my room
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 08:32:35 pm »

Why would Apple go to all the trouble to port iTunes to Windows when they could buy out a small company with a similar, feature-rich, existing product.

Does that sound like anybody we know?  :P

Buy them J River shares while you can! Hehe

Adam

px2so

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 09:28:47 pm »

Why would Apple go to all the trouble to port iTunes to Windows when they could buy out a small company with a similar, feature-rich, existing product.

Does that sound like anybody we know?  :P

Buy them J River shares while you can! Hehe

Adam

There are very small percentage of people using Mac OS compared to Windows. In order for their Music service to flurish, they need to expand to windows side. To make this happen, iTune "HAS" to be ported. iPod it self is selling so great because they extended their supply to Windows user as well.

Face it, windows user dominates the computing world. I'm not going to get into if that's a good thing or not, but it's a fact.

iTune 4 it self was made just to supply Apple's Music Service. However, from the result of the porting, it should be able to support iPod out of the box. Sound Check, Play count, and other iTune only feature will be enabed for widows user at last.

But that dosn't mean MC9 is going to lose market. iTune port is so much better for users like me who has an iPod. Now, since Apple will support Play count, Sound Check, etc... MC9 can finally support this feature to (with our great developers community :)). So it's a win win situation for JRiver. I personally think, MC9 can do heck of a lot then iTune can offer. I might think of using iTune to buy songs ($0.99 each). But other then that, MC9 works for me great.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 09:29:29 pm »

Plus, then, Apple could take all of J River's great technology and either adopt it or get rid of it!

All those good ideas that MC has can now be put into iTunes for Mac too!

Plus, if they keep their local offices of the JRiver division of Apple, I could work for Apple without moving out of state!

Dan "da Man"

px2so

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 09:40:20 pm »

Plus, then, Apple could take all of J River's great technology and either adopt it or get rid of it!

All those good ideas that MC has can now be put into iTunes for Mac too!

Plus, if they keep their local offices of the JRiver division of Apple, I could work for Apple without moving out of state!

Dan "da Man"

Hardly likely that it will happen.

Either that, JRiver is about to make some serious money off of patented techology being licensed to Apple. Hardy likely it will ever happen.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 09:27:26 am »

If anyone has a good management level contact inside Apple, please let me know.  jimh @ jriver.com

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 10:03:41 am »

JimH, I know someone who works at Apple HQ.  They aren't management level, but they are fairly significant and could probably get you in touch with someone there.  If you're interested in their contact info, respond and I'll email it to you.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 10:46:16 am »

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

fan_man

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 10:04:26 am »

Jim,

based on passed experience and if you have an interesting corporate proposal, I would get in touch with Steve Jobs directly.  8)
Your stuff is hot technology and has market share.

Good Luck
Fanman

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 12:04:59 pm »

Do you have his home phone number?   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up