INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grouping Of Track Names Not Sorting Alphabetically  (Read 3457 times)

mike_power

• Recent member
Grouping Of Track Names Not Sorting Alphabetically
« on: February 02, 2020, 08:21:04 pm »

When configuring a  customised view in the configure DLNA area there is an option to group the results which would be a very useful way to filter my large track listing. I have created a view with 1 category only which is name and selected a sort of name and a grouping option of 3 ie. A-C, D-F, G-I etc..  When viewing this at the DLNA client in Gizmo or JRemote the groups are recognised.   However it does not sort tracks within the group by name.  Instead it sorts the track names within the group based on album name which means the song names get jumbled up again and this does not help me.  i do not have album name  selected anywhere in the sort criteria so I am baffled as to where it is coming from.  I hope someone within the forum has an answer or the developer who works in this area can fix it in the next build of MC26??

Many thanks,
Michael Power.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Grouping Of Track Names Not Sorting Alphabetically
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:38:41 pm »

There are a couple of different ways.

1. Add a second Category of [Name] which is sorted as Ascending after the [Name] Category that is Grouped, and no other settings.

2. Use the single [Name] Category View that you have created, but edited the "Set rules for file display" by adding a modification (Modify Rules) to add a "Sort by" rule with Name (a-z) selected.

Make sure that you close both MC and JRemote2/Gizmo and restart them after any View change, or you probably won't see the change in Gizmo/JRemote2. Restarting JRemote2/Gizmo isn't enough. I tested in both JRemote2 and Gizmo.

Build both Views and see which one you like best, as they behave a little differently. I prefer the 2nd option, as I like the display better and a selected track starts playing immediately, rather than requiring one more tap.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mike_power

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:03:43 pm »

Thank you so much Roderick for your detailed response and my apologies for my delayed reply.  I am not sure how to identify when I get replies to my forum posts as there doesn't appear to be any alerts.  I have applied the changes you suggested and tried both your options with mixed results. 
First I should make you aware I could use any 1 of 3 DLNA Clients:-
1/ Yamaha Musiccast App
2/Gizmo
3/JRemote 2
Your suggestion has worked in the Yamaha Music App and also works in MC on the PC.
In both Gizmo and JRemote 2 however it continues to sort first by album name and then into song names for that group.  These song names are not sorted and are jumbled.  So, as an example,  in the A-C group  my listing starts with songs in the album "21 number ones" and then all songs for the album that start with A-C but these song names do not appear in alphabetical order.  I can send you an image if you want but will need an email address unless there is some way to do this via this forum??  A couple of additional questions would be:-
1/ I like the format in JRemote 2  where each listing has the track name, then the album and then the artist.  This is important as I have many tracks which have multiple versions  and multiple artists which I need to ID before selecting the track.  Is there a way to achieve this also into Gizmo and my musiccast app??
2/ The grouping feature helps to simplify searches by reducing the options but it would be much better if within each group you could do a keyword search to go straight to what you are looking for.  Does JRiver offer this functionality??  If keyword search within groups is not possible is it possible to improve the existing search function in gizmo and jriver which I have found only work in some positions in the tree, don't sort results alphabetically and, below track names often don't give the artist and album also.   I am not sure if you are a MC developer but if you are I hope you can take a very serious look at this as, given I have 35,000 tracks I see a good search tool as an absolute necessity.   Many thanks, Michael Power.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 02:55:34 pm »

I am not sure how to identify when I get replies to my forum posts as there doesn't appear to be any alerts.

If you turn on Notifications for a thread the forum will send you emails when something is posted to that thread. Just click the "Notify" button at the top or bottom of the thread, on the right and confirm that is what you want to do.

There are setting in your User Profile that control Notifications for threads even when you don't click the Notify button. See the yellow highlights in the attached image. You can also select threads on that page with the tick box, and then click the "Unnotify" button at the bottom of the page to stop getting Notifications for any thread.

Personally I don't like getting emails for most threads. I prefer to just come to the forum and click on the "Show new replies to your posts" link at the top left of the forum page. See the green highlight in the attached image.

You can also just go into any forum and you will see a "New" icon to the right of the thread name for any thread that has new posts in it. But that isn't so useful when looking for new posts on your specific thread, so use the methods above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 03:56:29 pm »

Your suggestion has worked in the Yamaha Music App and also works in MC on the PC.

There are multiple places in MC where Views are defined. If what you did fixed the View for the Yamaha Music App then you must have made the changes in the DLNA Views, which are found under "Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > {select specific DLNA server} > ...Customise views..." section of the MC options. See the first attached image.

If the changes also fixed the View for MC, then you must be connecting to your MC Server as a DLNA Client, rather than running the MC Client/Server configuration. If you were running the MC Client/Server configuration, which occurs when you connect to the MC Server by loading a Library under Playing Now, then all the Views from the MC Server Standard View and Theatre View would be shown on the Client, and not the DLNA Views. Standard View Views are defined in Standard View directly. Theatre View Views are defined in "Options > Theatre View > Items To Show".

In both Gizmo and JRemote 2 however it continues to sort first by album name and then into song names for that group.

Views for JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel are defined in "Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customise views for JRemote, Gizmo & Panel". See the second attached image, which also shows the "Sort by" rule in the "Set rules for file display" dialogue.

The third attached image shows the Grouping rule for the JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel View, just for completeness.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 03:57:00 pm »

I can send you an image if you want but will need an email address unless there is some way to do this via this forum??

I don't need an image at this stage, but here are a couple of posts where I have described how to attached image to a post on the Forum, using a couple of different methods (Windows "Snip & Sketch" and normal Windows Printscreen with Paint).
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123138.msg853025.html#msg853025
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114430.msg792154.html#msg792154

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 04:34:44 pm »

A couple of additional questions would be:-
1/ I like the format in JRemote 2  where each listing has the track name, then the album and then the artist.  This is important as I have many tracks which have multiple versions  and multiple artists which I need to ID before selecting the track.  Is there a way to achieve this also into Gizmo and my musiccast app??

Gizmo is an old application and is unlikely to see any further development. Use JRemote2, as it is in development now, and will continue to get better.

How your Musiccast App displays information is entirely up to Yamaha. MC provides information about the tracks via DLNA, but what the App does with that information is out of JRiver's control.

2/ The grouping feature helps to simplify searches by reducing the options but it would be much better if within each group you could do a keyword search to go straight to what you are looking for.  Does JRiver offer this functionality??  If keyword search within groups is not possible is it possible to improve the existing search function in gizmo and jriver which I have found only work in some positions in the tree, don't sort results alphabetically and, below track names often don't give the artist and album also.

If you go into a Group in JRemote2, for example "G-I", then search using the magnifying glass at the top of the screen, JRemote2 will search within that group. But the search only uses track names at this time. That will improve in the future, so I'm told.

Gizmo only has the search function on the Home page. It is a global search based on all media on the MC Server Gizmo is connected to. Searches using expressions are supposed to work, and I have used them successfully in the past I believe, but a quick expression based search I did just now didn't give me the result I wanted. i.e. I used the expression "[Genre]=rock", but that didn't work. Just searching for "rock" gave me several options to select from, so that works.

That is the limit of the search options at the moment, as I understand them.

The third party App, "MO 4Media" has different search capabilities, which some find much better.

I am not sure if you are a MC developer but if you are I hope you can take a very serious look at this as, given I have 35,000 tracks I see a good search tool as an absolute necessity.

I'm just a user like you. I'm looking forward to better search capabilities in JRemote2 myself. It will come.

mike_power

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »

Hi Roderick,

Thank you for your extraordinarily detailed reply. You are a lifesaver. I had already instituted the format you advised for the gizmo/jriver configuration and it wasn't working. But, when I added a second name category  as you advised it does work in jremote2 and provides a thumbnail., a song name, an album and an artist all sorted the way it should be.  I can't understand why the 2nd category apparently fixed the problem but I am happy it is working and will keep a detailed file note so I don't forget the setting. JRemote2 will now be my goto app.  I don't understand your comments about  running the MC Client/Server configuration library and unless you believe it is crucial I change to this I will stay with my DLNA selection as it appears to be doing what I need. I would really like a better global search in JRemote 2 which returns keyword options filtered into song name, artist, album. Musiccast does this brilliantly.  Can you suggest how i can contact the developer about this??
I appreciate all of your other tips which i have explored and taken note of.
Once again my many thanks, Michael Power.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »

You're welcome Michael.

I don't understand your comments about  running the MC Client/Server configuration library and unless you believe it is crucial I change to this I will stay with my DLNA selection as it appears to be doing what I need.

If you are happy with how it is working now, then leave it as is.

Can you suggest how i can contact the developer about this??

The developers and the CEO/Owner of JRiver read these forum posts. So you already have contacted them. The forum is the primary communication method for them.

Also, I know improving the search capabilities in JRemote2 is on the To Do list, so it will come at some time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up