INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marantz PM7000N as DLNA renderer (MC on Linux Mint)  (Read 3281 times)

Hauk

• Recent member
Marantz PM7000N as DLNA renderer (MC on Linux Mint)
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:12:50 am »

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful if you could provide me with instructions on how to use my Marantz PM7000N as a DLNA renderer, where a laptop running Linux Mint 19 (3.8.9) and MC 26.0.26 (x64) works as a server/controller.

I know I'm supposed to read the manufacturer's manual first, but I couldn’t find anything useful there.

E.g. sentences like -  “For playing mentioned audio formats via a network a server software, for example Twonky Media Server or JRiver Media Server, needs to be installed on your computer or NAS for full support. There are other server software available too. Please check supported formats.” (p.117) - really doesn’t contribute to a clearer picture overall.

I’ve tried to read the MC’s wiki (DLNA, Media Server etc.) and follow the instructions, but to no avail.  The PM7000N never shows up under Playing Now (Media Network in settings is turned on). The PM7000N is definitely online, because firmware update worked, and internet radio works as well, despite the WiFi being disabled.

I should probably open some firewall ports in order to make the PM7000N visible in MC. In this post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123505.0.html
Jim mentioned, that fw must be open on 52100 to 52200, but I don’t really know how to do that in Linux.

I contacted Marantz support yesterday, no answer yet.

Configuration:

Laptop running Linux Mint 19/MC 26.0.26 (x64) → Ethernet cable  → WiFi router → Ethernet cable → D-Link DGS-105 switch → Ethernet cable → PM7000N

File extensions I want to use: flac, dsf, mp3, wav

Your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated

Vic

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Marantz PM7000N as DLNA renderer
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:37:25 am »

Read the manual for the device and see what it needs to be set to.  It will probably be something like Network.

Wait a few minutes for the device to show up.  It won't be immediate.

Hauk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:54:37 am »

Hi Jim,

thanks for the answer.

it’s set to “Music Servers”, other options seem rather irrelevant (Internet Radio, USB, Opt/Coax, Recorder, Aux, Phono, CD, Bluetooth). I’ve been waiting for an hour. Nothing shows up.

Curiously enough, when I was tinkering around with the Heos app installed on my tablet and added the tablet as a “network share”, the tablet’s name appeared under Main Library in MC as a separate library. But that was a while ago, with WiFi still enabled. With wired connection only, when I set the PM7000N to “Music Servers”, it says: No items to display. And nothing comes up in MC under Playing Now either.

In-built diagnostic tool on PM7000N says both internet connection and router access are OK.

It seems to me, that the whole manual, though it contains 141 pages, has no detailed instructions on how use the PM7000N as a DLNA renderer. Only 3-4 pages are more or less relevant in this case (see attachments), but offer vague information only.

I'm totally clueless here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:37:44 am »

Firewall?
Port 1900 needs to be open for network discovery.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:38:23 am »

Try a Google search on the device.

Hauk

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:38 pm »

Hi Jim,

Allowed port 1900 via terminal. No change.

A thorough google search was the first thing I did. PM7000N is a relatively new model, not too many users yet I assume. I found zero information concerning the DLNA setup for PM7000N or comparable device.

(I just realized I accidentally posted my inquiry under section Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver , which is completely wrong. I apologize for that. Is it possible to move it under Networks and Remotes > Media Network as originally intended?)

Thanks

Vic

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:37:54 pm »

Try downloading the DMRA from my sig, and see if it finds your renderer.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hauk

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »

Hi Andrew,

http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra contains an executable file for windows. It won't work under linux, right? Correct me, if I'm wrong here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:06:08 pm »

I missed the fact that you're running Linux.  It shouldn't matter for finding the device.

Do you have a Windows machine you could test?  You could run Andrew's program and try MC for Windows.

Hauk

• Recent member
Re: Marantz PM7000N as DLNA renderer (MC on Linux Mint)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:43 pm »

Hi Jim,

although I do have a second laptop running windows, I do not have a master license - my MC 26 license is linux only. It's rather late here, so I'll try to install a trial version for windows tomorrow and run the DMRA as suggested by Andrew.   

Thanks

Vic

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:18:20 am »

If you see this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114108.msg788995.html#msg788995

Using the Internet Radio input solved the (different) issue with a Marantz pre-pro, worth a shot. Similarly the manual doesn't address DLNA at all.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Hauk

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 05:44:36 pm »

Hi guys,

I temporally swapped the linux laptop for a second one, running windows with a MC 26 trial version and ran the DMRA as suggested.

The PM7000N popped up almost instantly under “Playing now”. DMRA test track played okay, I guess. Then I tinkered the “Audiophile 24-bit” template a little bit. I’ve tried some playback, and the .flac files were working okay. But dsf files didn’t play. What I got was just some subtle static noise in the background.

Switching back to linux laptop, same problem persists. The PM7000N never shows up under playing now.

DMRA report in the attachment. For some reasons unknown to me, the report shows DLNA is off, although this obviously wasn’t the case. I’m probably interpreting the report file incorrectly.

I’ll be off the grid for the next couple of days or so. Thank you for your help so far.

Vic

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 06:04:59 pm »

I temporally swapped the linux laptop for a second one, running windows with a MC 26 trial version and ran the DMRA as suggested.

The PM7000N popped up almost instantly under “Playing now”. DMRA test track played okay, I guess. Then I tinkered the “Audiophile 24-bit” template a little bit. I’ve tried some playback, and the .flac files were working okay. But dsf files didn’t play. What I got was just some subtle static noise in the background.
So you've shown that the device is set correctly and the Windows PC has an open path to it.

It's now even more likely that there is a firewall blocking access from the Linux machine.  Time to read up on Linux firewalls.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 10:56:57 pm »

The PM7000N popped up almost instantly under “Playing now”. DMRA test track played okay, I guess.

Switching back to linux laptop, same problem persists. The PM7000N never shows up under playing now.

DMRA report in the attachment. For some reasons unknown to me, the report shows DLNA is off, although this obviously wasn’t the case. I’m probably interpreting the report file incorrectly.

The renderer is good. The report suggests some settings you should make in MC to optimise playback; but you can work on that tweaking job later.

As JimH says, your issue is that your Linux machine is either a) blocking network access in some way, or b) perhaps not even on the same network. Concerning a) please follow Jim’s advice about firewalls and anti virus stuff. Concerning b) please make sure that the machine is getting its IP address via DHCP from the same router that the renderer and the Windows PC are doing. (It may be that the Linux machine has a static or auto IP address on a different subnet..)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:39 am »

I have two Marantz receivers (1608 and 6013) ....  Only the 6013 shows up on my Mac computer with MC 26, although both used to be there.   I had Sonos servers showing up and I hid them.  I may have accidentally hid the other Marantz but if I did - it was a mistake (not sure how to undo this).

....but I also have a MC 26 on a Raspberry Pi 4 (Linux) and it shows both Marantz receivers.

Strangely - the Raspi MC "Playing from ...." the Mac MC listing includes both Marantz's.

Here are the screen shots from both the Mac and the Raspi.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 05:58:22 am »

UPDATE:

I did indeed Hide the one Marantz receiver......It took me a while to find how to unhide it.

Now it shows.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 06:35:15 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  Maybe we should had a reset for network devices.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 07:55:13 am »

I also have two libraries named "Main" and "Concise"  and "Concise" doesn't show on my Raspi although it does show labled as my iMac desktop.   Strange...I don't think this used to be like this.   

( see above screen shots)
Pages: [1]   Go Up