INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to identify what the program thinks are output devices  (Read 756 times)

larryincmh

• Recent member
How to identify what the program thinks are output devices
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:26:09 pm »

In searching the forums this question has been asked before a time or two for the past few years but never gets answered, so, I will try again.

In the tools > options > audio > audio device section of the program there is a drop down that identifies all the various output devices that JRiver has identified in my computer.  I can look at this list and identify every single one of them and what device they are except the one that says "network streamer".  In my case I do not have any kind of a dedicated streamer and as I previously said all the other devices in my chain are already in the list.

How can I identify what JRiver thinks is a network streamer and if I change it to this setting what will it be trying to turn on or send to?  There is nothing to configure when I attempt to change it to this setting for me to get any hints.

See the screen shot of the various choices on my computer.  Anyone have hints for identifying what the "network streamer" is supposed to be (YES I know what a network streamer is so don't ask me if that is what I want - I am trying to find out what the program thinks is the actual physical hardware device identified as a network streamer).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to identify what the program thinks are output devices
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:19 pm »

MC shows what Windows has available.  Check the Control Panel > Sounds and look at the properties of the device.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 11:03:03 pm »

I suspect it is an artefact of earlier Media Center functionality, and no longer used. It isn't mentioned in the Release Notes all the way back to version 11.

Does it really matter? Sure, you can select it, and play to it, but it stops playback after 3 seconds for me, which indicates that is isn't finding the sink for the stream it is sending.

I can't see anything sensible in a log of an attempted playback to it. Playback is just cancelled.

If it really matters to you, set up Wireshark and analyse what it is doing, if it is indeed doing anything on the network, which is where you would expect a streamer to be playing to.

Any real hardware Network Streamers on you network which advertise themselves as DLNA Renderers will appear in MC as a Dynamic Zone, and will be readily identifiable.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

larryincmh

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:36:17 am »

Thanks all for the responses.  It really doesn't matter to me, but I was just curious.  I looked in the properties for "sounds" as was suggested but the only devices shown are the multiple outputs from my graphics card (which I didn't realize had six separate display port/DVI/HDMI outputs) and then the sound cards.  So, as suspected it must be left over code from somewhere.  I also tried to play to it and it stops after a few seconds.  I will stop thinking about this and worry about more important things ha ha.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:11:50 am »

I suspect it is an artefact of earlier Media Center functionality, and no longer used. It isn't mentioned in the Release Notes all the way back to version 11.
I don't recall any "network streamer" in MC.  Maybe it's from another program.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:33:09 am »

MC always shows "network streamer". I have never seen it in my Windows sound display.  It has always been a mystery as to what it is.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 05:13:36 pm »

I don't recall any "network streamer" in MC.  Maybe it's from another program.

It is included in the JRiver out_main.dll, which is the main output path for all audio in MC, and is installed in the MC Plugins directory. It only appears inside MC.

The image of the Registry section attached shows it, with the JRiver copyright. All those output devices shown point to out_main.dll.

Maybe it is an artefact. Maybe it is used internally somewhere, perhaps when a MC Server is streaming to a MC Client. I have no idea. But it is definitely part of MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 05:18:19 pm »

We talked about it earlier.  It's part of MC.  Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up