INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media application wont start at all with no error popup  (Read 598 times)

Radu273

• Recent member

Since a week i am experiencing something strange i beginned to see this at first in jriver 26.0.35. i try to open it, a small circle(loading) appeared next to my cursor for 2 seconds and then dissapeared and that is just it. no error, no windows opened, not even a process in task manager, nothing. i installed the latest version 26.0.47 but its the same.  i dont have plugins or did any changes in program that can mess it recently. Usually i just open it and play an mp3 or a video. And i didnt have any problems with it for years if i can say. i tried to do a full uninstall with powerfull uninstallers to clear the registry and redundant data but still after reinstall does not work. i am using 64bits system and i know recently i installed windows 10 update 18363.752 but it feels strange to be from that, the crash. i also made an upate on visual c++ redistributable program, but all my other application work perfectly.

i'm not sure how to tackle the problem and this is my only database multimedia program for music and videos.
If i can troubleshoot it at least in some way to find the culprit!

Please Help!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Media application wont start at all with no error popup
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:59:08 am »

You aren't giving us much to go on, but...

1. Reboot your PC twice to allow any partly completed Windows Updates to complete. Try MC again. If no go;
2. Reinstall MC26.0.47 over the top of the existing install. Try MC again. If no go;
3. Use the Win+R shortcut to open Windows Run dialogue, enter mc26.exe and press enter. If that works, check the desktop shortcut you are using to make sure it is correct. Fix it is necessary. Try MC again. If no go;
4. Do a normal uninstall including Registry entries and Library files (I assume and hope you have a recent Library Backup to Restore later - check that before uninstalling).
   a. Reinstall MC26.0.47 and do not Restore the Library. Does MC run now? It should because it is just a basic installation.
   b. If MC did run okay, Restore your Library Backup without Settings. Still okay?
   c. If still okay, Restore Library Backup with Settings. Still okay? If no go;
5. Uninstall MC26 again, including Registry entries and Library files.
   a. Install MC26.0.20. Does that work? If it works;
   b. Install MC26.0.47. Does that work? If it works;
   C. If MC did run okay, Restore your Library Backup without Settings. Still okay?
   d. If still okay, Restore Library Backup with Settings. Still okay? If no go;
6. Try to run MC and then look in the Windows Event Viewer. Anything obvious? Any attempt to start MC?

Report back if you get this far without it working. What worked, what didn't?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Radu273

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:41:47 am »

I tried all the steps above but still no luck.
I have a library backup stored so my data is secure.
i installed 26.0.20, but its the same.
i did the basic uninstaller and checked al boxes to delete everything, after reinstall is the same.
I have only 2 antivirus: Windows defender and malwarebytes with both real time protection turned off.
I get the feeling that the application is ok but the windows or its dependencies might have a problem.

i looked in event viewer but did not find anything. but there are a lot of details there. what exactly i need to search?

My hardware is a laptop lenovo g580, model 20150

Radu273

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:41 am »

i just found this in event viewer:
The JRiver Media Center 26 Service service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.
and then i tried to start jriver service only to receive another error. after some time i reminded  myself that i used some days ago program deactivator from iobit advanced system care to deactivate jriver when not running to free up resources. normally when i try to launch that program again he should be able to turn all his functionality back on but this was not the case.

now i turned it back on from the program deactivator and jriver started working again.
thank you nevertheless for your help.

Good day to you! :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 07:17:24 am »

Thanks for posting the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up