INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Started with Photos  (Read 1674 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Getting Started with Photos
« on: April 19, 2020, 05:47:50 pm »

JRiver is Excellent for Photo Management
JRiver is known for its high quality audio and video, but it is equally powerful as a photo manager.

Though it's not generally viewed as a photo manager, there is no better solution than JRiver.  You can manage large collections easily, find photos fast, and display them in some novel ways.

So how about making a start on organizing those 50,000 photos you've got "somewhere"?  Maybe still on a phone.

Here are some tips to get you started.  These are just the highlights.  Please check our wiki and forum for more details.

Getting Your Photos Into JRiver
Your files are not moved during this process, so they'll continue to be available from the OS or however you're used to viewing.

1.  You can use JRiver to "acquire" your photos from your phone.  Be careful to tell it whether you want the photos left on the phone or not.  Camera is located in the Action Window (lower left corner) and settings are there too.

2.  You can set up auto-import under the Tools Menu to watch a folder on your computer and import pictures and other files it finds.

3.  You can use Camera (Action Window) to paste from the clipboard.  This is handy for finding album art on the Internet, using a Google search.

Moving Files Around
You don't need to move them, but if you want to, here's how.

4.  You can use the very powerful JRiver tool called "Rename, Move, or Copy".  It's under the Tools menu.  Select a few files and try it.  It can intelligently re-arrange your files on your disk.

5.  You can drag photos onto your phone or use Handheld Sync.  You can set up playlists to sync (Handheld settings).

Tagging and Management
Tags identify characteristics of the photo.  Trip, Place, Subject, Friends, Family, etc.  Anything that sorts the files into different categories. 

6.  Inside MC, you can select images and tag them.  "Trip to Idaho", for example.  There are people tags and others.  Location is automatically used if your phone is set to add the GPS location to your photos.

7.  You can delete photos you don't want (hard or soft delete).  (Best practice is to delete them from the phone as soon as you take them, but who does that?)

8.  You can add photos to a playlist so you can change the order and play them as a set.

9.  Right click on any photo to make it your Desktop background.

10.  Edit any photo by right clicking and choosing Edit.  Crop, Resize, Rotate, Adjust, etc.  MC automatically keeps the original and saves each change you make, so it's easy to revert.  Save as lets you convert formats.

11.  Select a photo or more and choose print in the Action Window.  There are lots of options.

Playing
12.  On playback, pause the slideshow with spacebar, zoom with mouse scroll wheel or number keys (position the cursor where you want it centered, and press 3 or 4 or ...).

13.  Right click on any image to choose Preview Image.  A filmstrip is shown on the right and a full size image on the left.

14.  Enjoy your music while you organize and edit.  Just start something playing first.

denaroc

Re: Getting Started with Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:28:21 am »

Hi I have MC23.  I would like to push photos from my Windows Computer to a Samsung TV.  I am unable to get the slideshow to work.  It just pushes the first photo and stays there.  I have gone into options and images and reduced the slideshow time to 0.01 - but that does not help.  I have to change each photo manually at the computer.  Please help
Thanks

Charles

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:12:51 am »

I would love it if JRemote supported pictures properly. — It is almost there. In JRemote you can select an image album, and Play Now; and then in Now Playing the image appears full screen as the album art for that track. The only thing that is missing, is that in this full screen album art display, it should be possible to use swipe gestures to move to the next/previous track resp. image.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:38:07 pm »

Hi I have MC23.  I would like to push photos from my Windows Computer to a Samsung TV.  I am unable to get the slideshow to work.  It just pushes the first photo and stays there.  I have gone into options and images and reduced the slideshow time to 0.01 - but that does not help.  I have to change each photo manually at the computer.  Please help
Thanks

Charles

Just started playing with photos (after working with audio and video files for years in MC).  I'm having the same problem.  Playlist does fine on the computer but when pushed to the Samsung only the first photo shows.  Any thoughts on what might be happening?  Does it do the same on all TV's?

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 03:44:30 am »

I have been using MC since MC22 I think mainly for Audio library and live TV.

I have only just recently started to organise all my photos and pone video files scattered around my hard drive.

I have imprted a blaock of files and I am trying to sort/move them using F6 Rename, Move Copy. In the directories dialog while setting up a preset, I can only year as a field - not numeric month? I am trying to move the files into folders thathave year-month. Not for use in MC just for use outside I want the files in a logical order. Am I missing something when creating a Preset to use? - is there a field for numeric month? The existing month field is a word description so they are not displayed in order when looking at folders in Explorer?

Thanks Dave
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 05:25:22 am »

I have been using MC since MC22 I think mainly for Audio library and live TV.

I have only just recently started to organise all my photos and pone video files scattered around my hard drive.

I have imprted a blaock of files and I am trying to sort/move them using F6 Rename, Move Copy. In the directories dialog while setting up a preset, I can only year as a field - not numeric month? I am trying to move the files into folders thathave year-month. Not for use in MC just for use outside I want the files in a logical order. Am I missing something when creating a Preset to use? - is there a field for numeric month? The existing month field is a word description so they are not displayed in order when looking at folders in Explorer?

Thanks Dave

I did a similar thing a couple of months ago. Try this expression and see if it does what you need...

FormatDate([Date,0],yyyy-MM-dd)

Might have to tweak it a bit to get it exactly as you like it. Probably best to test it on a few files before using it on the whole lot.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 08:14:16 am »

If you're using tags to rename files (or move them), read about the Date tags on the wiki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up