INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System locks... library too big  (Read 608 times)

sottalfix

• Recent member
System locks... library too big
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:17:06 pm »

Hello
I ask for your help, gents.

> Situation:
I use JR (currently 26) with WIN 10-64 LTSC, on an 8 GB Celeron G1610, SSD 32 GB.
The PC is remotely controlled via Remote Desktop connection.

Music files are on 4 distinct HP NAS, all mapped as 4 separates windows net drives, for a total of 18,3 TB of files (mostly FLAC, APE and SACD-ISO), connected to the PC via LAN cable on a Netgear Router.
The library is stored on local SSD, it counts > 662'000 files and weights 128 MB.

> Problem:
JRiver very often locks-down and does not respond, it continues to play music, but there is no any possibility to control it... it remains in this situation even for 3-4 minutes, then returns back to control... and then locks again... It continues like this and it is unusable. This happens since my first JR installation rel. 20.xx, years ago, then with muche smaller library, and never stopped.

I tried to split the library into 4 distinct ones, smaller, one for each NAS, and in this configuration JR works better and seldom locks (but sometimes it still does).

> Question:
is there any way to increase the usability of JR with the big library (the one with all 4 NAS attached)? More than 8GB of RAM? faster processor? more band on the LAN (how??)? different remote manager?

Thank you all for any help

Carlo (Italy)

sottalfix

• Recent member
Re: System locks... library too big
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »

(I already posted a similar 3D, it was with JR 24... i re-post it, because I still did not find peace  ;D and maybe some new participant will discover a solution, thanks for patience)
C

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:35:06 pm »

Is it creating thumbnails, or analysing audio. Both of those process would slow you down a lot. And it might take hours, or even days, before it has finished with all your files. If so, the solution is “let it finish”..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:39:51 pm »

And Antivirus software can cause problems reading files.  On Windows 10, configure Windows Defender.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:10:19 pm »

You could try lowering the Thumbnail threading.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:22:26 pm »

any chance one of more of the NAS are non-responsive?  Are these NAS configured to spin down their drives?  IF yes - MC may be waiting for the mapped drives to be responsive

sottalfix

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:39 am »

Is it creating thumbnails, or analysing audio. Both of those process would slow you down a lot. And it might take hours, or even days, before it has finished with all your files. If so, the solution is “let it finish”..

Thanks, but it is not when importing.
C

sottalfix

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 02:37:22 am »

any chance one of more of the NAS are non-responsive?  Are these NAS configured to spin down their drives?  IF yes - MC may be waiting for the mapped drives to be responsive

I will try this
Thanks
C
Pages: [1]   Go Up