INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags and File Names Update Issue [Solved]  (Read 599 times)

liminal

Tags and File Names Update Issue [Solved]
« on: May 09, 2020, 10:17:32 am »

JRiver recently ran me through an update that I clicked w/o even thinking twice - now individual album names have been removed and replaced with "All Albums (x)" (x is the total number of albums I currently have in my library). My goal is to restore the original album names w/o having to go through each manually. Thanks 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tags and File Names Update Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:32:41 pm »

Updating wouldn't do that.

Where are you looking?  What view?  Try double clicking.

liminal

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:07:08 pm »

Left sidebar under the Audio dropdown, then Albums, drops an "All Albums (x)" folder which is the same album title/name for all albums in my library now. It corresponds to all albums in my library no matter the display type/column/under all the album art. I've tried everything from uninstalling, looking through "Managing Library Fields". It seems like the answer is in "Fill Properties From Filename" after selecting an album and right-clicking because of the filenames still containing the actual album name/title. The issue doesn't carry over when adding new music to my library.

I Feel like this should be a simple fix.. but this was something JRiver asked permission to do as to better organize my library and I agreed for it to update.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 04:18:17 pm »

If your files have the correct album, artist and track name tags you can select them, right click and select library tools>update library (from tags). That should write all of the tags to the database and sort out the problem. Although I would try it on just a couple of files to check that it does what you want it to.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:33:26 pm »

Wooh. Slow down! Don't do any of the above.

I don't know how all your Albums got named to the same thing, but it doesn't matter.

All you need to do to fix this is Restore a Library from before the problem happened. MC automatically makes Library Backups. Just go to "File > Library > Restore Library" and select the most recent backup file from before the update, if that is when it happened. They are all date and time stamped, in the backup file name.

If you can't find the backup file when you do the above, check the setting at "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:10:10 pm »

It will  then be necessary to re-import all of the new albums of course.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:41:47 pm »

It will  then be necessary to re-import all of the new albums of course.

Only the new stuff imported since the Library Backup. I would rather do that, usually, than do an "Update library (from tags)" on all files. Particularly for a problem caused by clicking something at the wrong time. If the re-imported files have the correct tags in the files already, written there by MC, then re-importing them would be the equivalent of running "Update library (from tags)", but would only be necessary for new files since the backup.

Library Backups are fairly frequent, although not daily unless you set up MC to do that, as I have.

But yes, either method will work. If a lot of manual changes have been made to data in the Library, data which isn't written to tags, then the "Update library (from tags)" method would be better. So that would include a lot of View, Settings, and Playlist changes, although a Restore wouldn't need to restore settings, just Library and Playlists.

My concern would be that if Liminal has found this problem with Album names, what else might have been changed that hasn't been noticed yet?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

liminal

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 11:04:41 pm »

Thanks for all the help. I ended up figuring out the issue by selecting all the albums then right-clicking and going to "Fill Properties From Filename" deleting and unchecking the contents in the "Filename" box. Then checking "Directories" and changing the preset from "[Artist]\[Album]" to [Artist]-[Album]. When I tried to "Update library (from tags)" nothing seemed to happen. The other change I noticed was "Downloads" was reading under the Artist column for all albums downloaded from Bandcamp, but that was fixed when doing as mentioned.

Good to know about the library restore - thanks again for all the help :)   
Pages: [1]   Go Up