INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Building optimum MC system  (Read 3543 times)

brasfild

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
OT: Building optimum MC system
« on: April 21, 2003, 12:31:05 pm »

I am thinking about building a computer around MC & integrating it with my current component
based system. Everyone's configuration seems to be slightly different & I would really appreciate
recommendations...

I would like the computer component to function as an audio & video media server, television
recorder, and DVD player. It will probably double as a general household computer, but the media
component aspects will be its primary function.

What is the best means of connecting this device to my receiver? Is there a simple passthrough that I
can use to bypass any audio chips in the computer & send the digital signals straight to the receiver?
Do I want to do this?

I am thinking of building the computer myself & looking at the Shuttle Mini cases/mainboards, are
there other cases I should consider (limiting factor being that it must be roughly component sized &
quiet enough running not to interfere with listening enjoyment)?

Any help would be appreciated! I'll even consider full off the shelf systems if anyone has had good experiences...

-Ted

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: OT: Building optimum MC system
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 01:06:14 pm »

If you want to do TV recording, you will need the equivalent of 2Ghz Pentium 4 or better.

Bigger drives are always better.  5400 RPM drives would be OK, but some 7200RPM drives have "fluid bearings" and are quieter.

Try a google search for companies who specialize in quiet parts.  Power supplies can be noisy.

Try a search here and on google to learn about ASIO output.  The sound card needs to support it.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 01:58:17 pm »

I would not go for one of the mini computers, they lack upgradeability and power. OK for specialized mp3 and DVD playback, but if you want to do TV recordings and stuff, you should buy a regular sized one. If it looks as stylish as the one in my link below, it will fit right in if you've got a modern home.

Zalman Flower Cooler, IBM harddisks in quiet mode, acoustically isolated from the case, PSU with twin fans (perferably exchanged with even more quiet Papst fans), internal dampening mats (I use external, but my computer is in a separate server room and it does not matter what it looks like, you cean see it on my website) and a 120 mm blowhole with a quiet Papst fan at the top to make sure the PSU fans won't have to work so hard that they become noisy. Then you'll only hear it whisper. You can also buy a ready made quiet case, like Noise Control or the very good looking and well cooled Lian Li cabinet you'll find a test of here: http://www.onepc.net/index.php?view=docs&doc_id=157

As for video recording I would say that with CPU and harddisk prices the way they are now, I'd go for at least an AMD XP 2600+ or equivalent, and minimum 120 gig HD. You'll kick yourself for not shelling out when you hit the performance roof in half a year or so.

For sound out to receiver I suggest buying a mainboard with built in SPDIF, you will get that on most boards these days. They won't have all the fancy sound adjustment modes in the Windows mixer, but that's what you've got MC DSP settings for. If you want multi-zone you can add a few cards, if you use the kX Project drivers you can have all free PCI slots filled with Live or Audigy cards, or you can go for different types (like I did) so they won't conflict. I have been up to six soundcards in the HTPC/media server, but I have now split the zones into two computers, so they're down to three and four sound cards each...  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 09:02:39 pm »

I'm wondering what kind of impact that recording TV @ 640x480 (30 fps) has on a system. On a 2 GHz P4 or Athlon 2000+, does the process make it unusable for anything else (while maintaining quality)? I'm just trying to get an idea what I would need for a processor & video card combo that would make this process no more difficult for the system than ripping/encoding music is on my 700 MHz PIII (where the system stays responsive and I can run other apps concurrently). Given that video recording/encoding is a bandwidth and cpu intensive operation, is the current "state of the art" of hardware good enough given my example with music? For those that know, what kind of results do you get and what kind of system impact do you see?

10-27

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 09:44:28 pm »

fwiw, if you believe Tom's Hardware, P4's usually perform better at encoding than the Athlons do... something to be aware of if optimal performance if your concern.

that said, i built an HTPC almost exclusively as a music server, with a 2100+ on an nForce2 board.  The MCP-T soundbridge provides the SoundStorm subsystem that out-plays my old Audigy hands down.  All I wanted was a nice-looking stereo component with digital optical output and that was quiet.

My needs were simple, as my audio components (AMP & DVD player) are quite nice. The entire system including a wireless PCI card was under $600.

Tack on about couple hundred for an All-In-Wonder and if you are recording video, you might want a pair of 120GB drives - the WD Special Editions are very fast and quiet.

regarding the other question, I can't see how recording an NTSC signal would affect the rest of the system in anyway specific to that.

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 10:08:46 pm »

> I can't see how recording an NTSC signal ...

Because it is not simply recording the signal. Think about it...a DVD can hold 4.7 GB of data. The movie one may contain is a compressed MPEG/2. That movie uncompressed could be a factor of 10 (or more) larger. MC is recording then compressing the stream (or it's doing real time compression) into a mpeg/2 or WMV or whatever. That takes horsepower and if by doing so nearly or totally maxes out the CPU, then you have a doggy & unresponsive system.

10-27

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 12:41:53 am »

xen-uno,

I have two Athlon 2100+ pc's and found out that video recording makes your pc unresponsive to anything else, so I moved the whole of video recording to the second pc's which is hardly used and import the finished recording into MC9 on the first PC.

So basically PC1 is my media playback and office pc, PC2 my video recording, fallback and test pc. Of course I have MC9 installed on both of them.

I tried to rip a few DVD movies and converted them to DivX, which are then played back by MC9. As MC9 is not supporting this function I use software called DaViDeo2 Pro from a german software company, which does the whole process pretty straightforward, although it still takes a couple of hours! There is a bunch of freeware tools around for DVD ripping and encoding, but it is a real hassle and time consuming to use them.

I also connected my video recorder to my first pc and use MC9 recording features to record old video tapes.
You can use the default encoder/decoders provided by MC9, but you can also create a recording profile to use DivX.

I also use two sound cards and different zones on pc1. One sound card is connected through a SPDIV with my stereo receiver, the other one has speakers directly connected through Audio Out.

My graphic card supports multiple monitors, right now I have my TV set and one TFT connected, so that I can watch videos and slide shows on TV sitting on the couch.

I use a simple remote control connected via IRman to control MC on TV.

The whole is a work in progress as I am trying out new technologies all the time.

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 05:41:35 am »

Thanks Jaguu...

I'm willing to bet that it dogs down a 3 GHz P4 quite a bit as well. I wonder how well a dual processor system would handle this (which is what I'm leaning toward).

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 09:47:13 am »

>> I'm willing to bet that it dogs down a 3 GHz
>> P4 quite a bit as well.
nope it is a Screamer

I am in love with this thing

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3048 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 115 MB

===================================

DVD Burner & CD=R\W 48x

9700 Pro Graphics Card, Nice
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 09:59:30 am »

Really?

Even while recording at 640x480x30fps you can still use the system normally?

How do you like the 9700? I about bought one the other day, but it looks like it doesn't have a tuner (or does it?). I'm a little confused on the difference between the 9700 and the higher end AIW's. I'll do some research but if you can add anything, please do.

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 10:10:43 am »

How do you like the 9700? I about bought one the other day, but it looks like it doesn't have a tuner (or does it?).

No but I had an ATI TV Card So I Installed That and all is well

The Video Card Has Really Nice Graphics Even More So When Playing The Top Rated Games URT2003 for One.

==================================

About The Video Recording I Really Seen No Problems, But Tests Reveal That This Computer Is 1200% faster Than My 1.8 Ghz Computer. I Guess Some Of It Is Due To The New Muilti Threading
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MachineHead

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 02:34:22 pm »

Intel is about to unleash a P4 3.2 ghz, with an 800 mhz FSB. I think it also has the HT that really helps with multi-tasking. The thing should be fast anyway.

Go Anandtech.com and see his review on some of the encoding tests. Makes for an interesting read.

brasfild

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 12:37:08 pm »

What are the disadvantages of going with a case that requires micro-ATX mainboards?  Just fewer slots, right? And, of course, a more limited selection of mainboards.

I really like the look of the coolermaster 600 series, component shaped and sized -- has anyone had experience with these?

Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions on this board!

-Ted

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 01:05:02 pm »

Shouldn't be any other than what you've already mentioned. The lack of expandability though is major if your going to have it for awhile. You should see all that I've got hanging off (and in) mine. Go with full size.

10-27

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 02:17:19 pm »

What are the disadvantages of going with a case that requires micro-ATX mainboards?  Just fewer slots, right? And, of course, a more limited selection of mainboards.

I really like the look of the coolermaster 600 series, component shaped and sized -- has anyone had experience with these?

Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions on this board!

-Ted

the cooler master cases are nice, i have one and love it, here are some things to note:

1. pay attention to the material, only some are 100% aluminum, some are steel with an AL front.

2. CD/DVD drives will hang over the ATX power and all drive headers making the fit tight.

3. there is a center "strut" on the top so super big and tall HSFs will/may bump into it.

4. 4 PCI slots

5. Fits full-size ATX power supply.

6. Front 1394 connector is an "external" plug not a header connector.

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 09:49:50 am »

I have taken a related, but slightly different, approach to this.  I don't watch much TV, so video recording capabilities are not important to me.  Instead, I wanted to build a quiet and stable media PC to connect to my home network and to a nice stereo preamp.  After debating whether to get an Audiotron, Shuttle PC, or one of the new hybrid media components, I decided to use an outdated laptop, which I am in the process of setting up now.

It is a PIII 700mhz with a mere 128 mb RAM, but laptop RAM is pretty cheap these days and I bought a 256MB card for $70.  Up to now I have been using the standard audio out, which admittedly is crap, but I just ordered an Echo Indigo PCMCIA card and expect the sound to vastly improve.  I am still looking for an inexpensive way to control it remotely from my couch.

I've discovered a couple of things about using a laptop that seem to make this a decent choice.  It is quiet and unobtrusive, and it has an s-video out, which allows me to run "two monitors" (the laptop LCD and my TV).  The harddrive is small, but it has a built in ethernet connection and I won't be using it to store MP3 or APE files.  The processor is weak, but sufficient to run MC9.  Once I get the whole thing up and running, I will report back with what worked and what didn't work.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 09:53:34 pm »

OK... Far too much information to provide in a single post... You could spend a month on AVS and still not be fully clear on how to proceed...

Firstly TIVO style EPG integrated recording (with multiple tuners so watch and simultainioulsy record) is still not a very well done thing with a PC... My suggestion get a dScaler compatible TV card (with one of the newer CX chipsets not 8x8 old style) and a real Tivo... Saves a tonne of headache... Tivo Hacking can allow backup of shows I believe but Tivo's dont work in my territory (no EPG so I am hazy)...

You can approach this 2 ways... Either have a slimline small DVD / Audio playing machine with little upgrade room but very nice slick footprint like the silent small form factor PC's from hush that have 2 PCI slots left... This would take a highish end soundcard (Revo or RME etc) and you can choose between a TV input card (from the TivO) or a PCI radeon for better image quality (if you have a good display device)...

http://www.hushtechnologies.net/

I would think about this route for an audio only limited function machine but for an all in one HTPC stype box... Never... Too much cool stuff to plug in there... Too much that needs full power... More HD's to install... More Power... Urg Urg Urg :D

I would look at a full size boutique case like

http://www.crtcinema.com/cases.html

I like the Vision II of current offerings as it pays special attention to noise dampening and airflow so I am told, and you can use cheaper white components and hide them instead of black or silver drives etc... Plus its sweet looking...

Of course theres similar from Dign / Antec / Kanam / Cooler Master / Etc... Then you have all the power you need (remember HD DVD's are NOW being released in WMP9 format but need 2.2 - 2.4 for 720p and about 3 Ghz for 1080p as a minimum spec !!) Add a 'silent' PSU like the fortron models and either zalman goodies or even an IceBergII from exoticPC.com for a $99 watercooling solution thats really quiet... Get the box running hard fast and quiet and then work on your SW config.

DONT fall for the idea that you only need SPDIF output anymore... WMP9 has changed that totally (Know any recievers with a WMA decoder... No !!) so you will need multichannel analogue outs if you want to play 5.1 sound from the new WMP HD DVD's...

For remote control get a IRMan or UIRT or UIRT-USB and install Girder... Put the coffee on and swear for a few days :) !!! Girder takes some work but it is the defacto command and control application for IR (and some would say any) control of PC's... Netremote with a 802.11 PDA is mighty cool too but I have not used it much...    

Also look into MainLobby from Cinema to hide the whole windows interface and make a sweet GUI that no one will recognise as a PC...

If you had money to burn you could look at the Carillon Audio PC's which seem heavily optimized for audio playback and studio work... Nice in a rack but not as attractive as above...

Too much info to put accross in a simple post... Weeks worth of reading and deciding what your goals are if you are keen..
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2003, 12:34:36 am »

Phreddy, I think coffee and swearing goes more to your personal habits than setup of Girder with IRMan!  ;D

With the GML-files our friend Brad creates and the ease of setup in that the IRMan plugin is a part of the regular installation of Girder I'd say that one hour or max two would be the time needed by anybody who's no less than averagly computer litterate. In other words anybody who'll consider setting up a computer him/herself and not buying a ready made Dell/HP or what that cr...p is called.  8)

But of course NetRemote is the real cool deal, and believe me, I have used it a lot!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2003, 04:17:14 am »

Mastiff, While pre made GML's may be enough for some.. real men roll thier own  :o  :P

BTW I will give 2 hours of donated time or money to any LCD solution that is plug and play... The LCDriver and DVDSpy angle twisted my melons...

That said the whole thing once you discover pre made GML /CCF combo's is really simple..
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up