INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garbled Sound  (Read 448 times)

setha2z

Garbled Sound
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:04:33 pm »

Hi there, whoever you are. 

I'm an enthusiastic, if incompetent lover of PC's and affordable hi-fi audio -- a wannabee geek audiophile.  To that end, I've used Media Center for many years (since MC15), mostly for digital music. 

At present, I have 3 solid home-built PC's, all running 64-bit versions of Windows.  Only one is fully compatible with Windows 10, so I've had to stick with good old Windows 7 on the other two. 

Naturally, my main computer is the Win 10 machine.  I use one Win 7 PC as a music server, and the other one is set up with it also but seldom used.  MC26 was installed on all three. 

A few months ago I noticed that if I played tunes long enough on the Win 7-based server, the sound would become garbled badly.  Stopping the playback and then starting again corrected the problem for an unpredictable period before the problem recurred.  It was not necessary to close and reopen MC26 itself to straighten it out. 

Eventually it became obvious that the garbling was a consistent problem.  Win 7 had a few minor glitches, so I thought it might be the culprit.  I spent a weekend making a new, clean install of Windows and MC26, with a minimum of extraneous programs, but the spurious garbling was still there. 

Next, I shifted to the other Win 7 machine and experienced the same problem, so hardware wasn't the issue. 

I moved my DAC to the Windows 10 PC and found that the garbling did not occur, after hours of listening.  OK, that meant that the combination of Windows 7 and MC26 was at the heart of the matter.  I uninstalled MC26 except for the settings etc., and reinstalled the last version of MC25 on the original Win 7 server.  Voila!  The garbling is gone so far, and as far as I can tell, MC25 is working perfectly. 

My conclusion is that MC26 probably has a bug vis-a-vis Windows 7.  I thought you would like to know.  If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know.  In any event, I hope this helps.  I love Media Center!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Garbled Sound
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:39:25 pm »

DAC driver?  Did you try turning the DAC off and back on?

32 bit drivers may not work with 64 bit versions of MC.

setha2z

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 02:14:20 pm »

All current MC26 versions and the last version of MC25 (25.0.115) on a Win 7x64 platform play garbled audio after an unpredictable number (from 6 up) of songs are played.  This has been true for 2 different ASUS Workstation boards with Intel processors and tons of memory, that are not compatible with Win 10. 

Earlier versions of MC and Windows with all versions of ESET AntiVirus on either of these 2 PC's work great with the exact same WAV music files.  MC26 up to v26.0.80 works fine on a newer ASUS Z170-WS running Win 10x64.  I've spent many hours loading and unloading various combinations to find working combinations on all 3 PC's.  I'm very much in the "If it works, don't fix it" mode at this point.  I think that later versions of MC have a bug with Windows 7. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:47:05 pm »

Uninstall ESET to see if it is the problem. 

On Windows 10, use only Windows Defender.  Check the thread on it  here for instructions.

There is no general problem with MC that fits your description.  Check the Weird Problems thread in my signature for other ideas.

You said that WAV works.  What else are you playing?  Try a single file type, like ordinary FLAC.

Describe your playback chain and anything unusual.

Pages: [1]   Go Up