INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 159: Streaming Problems  (Read 1431 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Build 159: Streaming Problems
« on: April 23, 2003, 03:18:34 pm »

1. When attempting to play certain streaming web media, e.g. WOLF FM (128k), I will also get the "Warning" dialog saying "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."—even though only one unsuccessful attempt was made and the error message is inapplicable to Web Media.

2. Attempting to play other streaming web media, e.g. BBC Radio 1 errors out producing an "Error" dialog that says "DirectShow: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class" three times followed by a "Warning" dialog saying "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."—even though only one unsuccessful attempt was made and the error message is inapplicable to Web Media.

3. Attempting to play other streaming web media, e.g. EUROPA PLUS the first time errors out producing a "JRR Reader" dialog that says "Failed to connect to a server. Reason: Unknown." Followed by a "Warning" dialog that says "Please select files to play."

4. Attempting to play other streaming web media, e.g. NDR 2 pops up the full screen interface when playing. Reconnecting from the main screen by hitting play does not cause this problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Build 159: Streaming Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:28:21 pm »

Please try to sort out errors that are program related from errors that occur because the station is unavailable.

And a reminder that we aren't going to chase anything small now.  Save your ammo for critical problems.

We've bought the beer.  Monday is our day.

Marko

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 03:38:16 pm »

Jim, the directshow related errors are surely MC related?

I can tell you that iexplorer media sidebar can connect and play the stream without a problem while MC continues to throw a directshow not registered message. MC throws this message before reaching the firewall, telling me it's hitting problems before it makes any attempt to actually connect to the source.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 04:06:19 pm »

Please try to sort out errors that are program related from errors that occur because the station is unavailable.

And a reminder that we aren't going to chase anything small now.  Save your ammo for critical problems.

We've bought the beer.  Monday is our day.

As I indicated in the thread for the prior build (but neglected to repeat here), I understand that streaming media is flaky, so I am not saying that the failure to connect is inidcative of an MC error. But surely these error messages don't accurately describe what is going on if that's the case and make MC look buggier than it really is. Why not just replace these messages with a simple "Failed to connect: stream not available" or something like that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 04:24:30 pm »

We could do that, but we didn't.  Please try to appreciate that we are about to let MC go, and we can't be too careful or she'll never be out there, blinking on the stage, with all the lights.... and the applause.

Marko

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 04:36:05 pm »

Well, I'm off to bed now, and I'm sulking a little bit...

My radio station has been working just fine, then right at the last hurdle it got broke!!

I even went off to win update and moved from DX8.1 to 9.0a and it still ain't working.
What is this Directshow and its "Non registered interface" all about anyways?

I'll drop by in the morning with congrats and perhaps a bottle of scotch re. Mondays launch, just gotta lick my wounds a while first ;)

Is it reasonable to assume you guys will take a look at this problem in the not too distant future?

Here's the link one last time...
http://62.25.96.7:80/rrs/
seriously, does your MC play it OK?

(mind you, release on Monday, so we still got Thurs & Fri to go, and @ the current build rate, that could be at least 4 builds!!! perhaps I shouldn't be too despondant)
::)
:D :D :D :D :D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 04:39:57 pm »

We'll take a look tomorrow.  Thanks for the link.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 05:41:02 pm »

Actually I have noticed that the following streaming audio links play just fine in Windows Media Player, but do not play in Media Center. All involve Windows Media:

http://www.brandoclassicotr.com/otr.asx

http://www.mediabay.com/stations/asx/otr.asx

http://www.otrnow.com/tunein/otrnowlive.wax

Pages: [1]   Go Up