INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting an album: problems  (Read 516 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Deleting an album: problems
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:51:37 pm »

Funny thing has happened a couple of times...I deleted a single album because I found two copies of it in MC, and when I did, ALL the albums by that artist were deleted (about 16 albums) plus two from the artist immediately BEFORE it in alphabetical order. Thus, in quick succession, I lost all my Albert Collins albums plus the ones by Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas. Big mystery here (and I am perfectly willing to admit that I did something wrong; after all, software doesn't just 'do things' unless instructed). Anyone else noticed something weird going on, or is it just me? (And the trouble is, if you don't notice this has happened and you do a backup with something like GoodSync, it deletes the files there too because they show up as 'deleted'. I have four backups of my 160,000 song collection (just cuz) and the error can quickly run through all four backups [this is normal procedure of course ]).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Deleting an album: problems
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »

How are you deleting?

When you delete files in MC, you have three choices.  Read carefully.

If you removed a folder and it had sub-folders, it would remove those too.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:08 pm »

Yes,

1. 'Remove from media library'

2. 'Remove from media library and send to the recycle bin'

3. 'Remove from media library and permanently delete from disk'

I usually pick option 2, but what if I pick option 3#? Maybe, someone could explain the differences here...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 02:19:23 am »

You probably had more files selected than you realised when you did the delete. Be very careful with file selection before doing deletes. I always click the files I want again before doing a delete, so that any existing selection based on a View or Smartlist is cleared, and I only delete what I have just manually selected.

Maybe, someone could explain the differences here...

Seriously?

1. The record of the file(s) in the MC Library database is removed from the MC Library database files. The file(s) itself isn't touched.

2. The record of the file(s) in the MC Library database is removed from the MC Library database files and the files on the hard disk are moved to the Recycle Bin.

3. The record of the file(s) in the MC Library database is removed from the MC Library database files and the files on the hard disk are permanently removed from the hard disk, and are not sent to the Recycle Bin. They are unrecoverable, except perhaps via data recovery programs.

Clear now?

GoodSync might be good, however it isn't as good as good Backup Software run in Incremental mode. With good backup software you can recover accidentally deleted files for as long as you have defined you want to keep the backups. You can also pick which version of a file you want to restore, as incremental backups will keep multiple versions.

GoodSync can sort of be used in a safe way as a backup alternative, by setting up a one-way sync and turning off file deletions, as per the GoodSync manual. https://www.goodsync.com/manual#general_tab

Propagate Deletions (checked by default)
If checked, then deletion made by user on one side of the job is propagated to the other side.
If not checked, then deletions are not propagated, only changed files are propagated.
This modifier applies only to 1-way jobs

That way the destination location you sync to will always have the latest version of the files you want to keep, and also the last version of files you have deleted from the source location.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 12:59:14 pm »

GoodSync can sort of be used in a safe way as a backup alternative, by setting up a one-way sync and turning off file deletions, as per the GoodSync manual. https://www.goodsync.com/manual#general_tab

Propagate Deletions (checked by default)
If checked, then deletion made by user on one side of the job is propagated to the other side.
If not checked, then deletions are not propagated, only changed files are propagated.
This modifier applies only to 1-way jobs

That way the destination location you sync to will always have the latest version of the files you want to keep, and also the last version of files you have deleted from the source location.

Thanks for that tip/link...problem solved (in case of accidental deletions in the future)
Pages: [1]   Go Up