INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I "Send To" One Of The Streaming Stations Via DLNA  (Read 2755 times)

tlbriley

• Recent member
How Do I "Send To" One Of The Streaming Stations Via DLNA
« on: June 05, 2020, 02:17:07 pm »

I've been using JRiver MediaCenter since 2012. For most of that time period I've had it configured so that I could send FLAC files stored on my PC to my Oppo BD-103 using DLNA. The hardest part was getting the cover art to display on my Panasonic plasma (my solution was posted years ago somewhere on this forum).

For a couple of years now, I've noticed the category of "Streaming" with several stations such as "Radio Swiss Jazz". I can click on "Radio Swiss Jazz", then click "Start the radio" and it will start playing on my PC. However I can't find a way to send it to the Oppo. Right-clicking doesn't reveal a "Send To" option.

I've spent several hours on this forum trying to the find the answer to this seemingly simple question, but I give. Can someone either post the solution or post a URL with the solution?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How Do I "Send To" One Of The Streaming Stations Via DLNA
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »

Exactly which version of MC are you running? MC26.0.87?

You should just be able to select the Zone for your Oppo BD-103, select Streaming > "Radio Swiss Jazz" > Start the radio > Play Stream, and it should work.

If you don't see the popup dialogue asking if how you want to play "Radio Swiss Jazz" (i.e. Play Stream), then go to "Options > General > Advanced > Reset all confirmation messages". Once you have done that the popup dialogue should display again.

I'm using that method to play to a DLNA Renderer on my phone right now.

Not all streaming radio stations will play to a DLNA Renderer, but "Radio Swiss Jazz", "Radio Swiss Classical", "Radio Paradise" and a couple of others will.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 09:24:38 pm »

Exactly which version of MC are you running? MC26.0.87? You should just be able to select the Zone for your Oppo BD-103, select Streaming > "Radio Swiss Jazz" > Start the radio > Play Stream, and it should work. If you don't see the popup dialogue asking if how you want to play "Radio Swiss Jazz" (i.e. Play Stream), then go to "Options > General > Advanced > Reset all confirmation messages". Once you have done that the popup dialogue should display again.

I'm running MC26.0.80.
Set Opp BD-103 as the current zone, then started "Radio Swiss Jazz". It started playing on my PC. Since I didn't get a pop-up, I "Reset all confirmation messages" then restarted MC and tried again. No change.
No matter what the current zone is, any attempts to play one of the streaming stations listed results in music playing over my computer, not to any of my DLNA renderers such as the Oppo.
Thoughts?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:40:37 pm »

That is very strange. Hmmm...

Do you use ZoneSwitch? Perhaps it needs some attention, to cater for this new playback path?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 10:46:44 am »

I'm not using ZoneSwitch. It does seem rather extreme to need to do so, but I'll take a look at it this weekend. Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:23:36 pm »

You shouldn't need to use ZoneSwitch. My question was more, is it set and switching you back to the main Zone?

If ZoneSwitch is off, MC should stay on the Zone you select, unless a Remote is being used, and is changing Zone.

Is there something else in play here? MC doesn't switch Zone by itself, normally.

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:30:06 pm »

I just repeated the process from scratch just to make sure:
 - I clicked Player > Zone > Oppo BDP-103. "Oppo BDP-103" is displayed just below "JRiver Media Center 26" in the Player Bar.
 - I clicked "Radio Swiss Jazz", bringing up that station's web page in the Content Panel.
 - I clicked "Start the radio".
Result:
 - Music starts playing in my computer speakers.
 - "Oppo BDS-103" is still displayed just below "JRiver Media Center 26" in the Player Bar.

I then clicked Player > Zone > Denon.
Result:
 - "Denon" is just below "JRiver Media Center 26" in the Player Bar.
 - The web page of "Radio Swiss Jazz", is still in the Content Panel.
 - Music is still playing in my computer speakers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »

Not all streams will work with DLNA.  Try Radio JRiver and Radio Paradise.

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:46 pm »

Same results using Radio JRiver and Radio Paradise.

And that's okay. This isn't a critical feature for me. And as a result of playing with this, I now have a better understanding of how MC works.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

mgagneur

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 02:23:41 pm »

Hello,

I am using MC 26.0.80 and experience the same behavior. In my case my DLNA device is a set of KEF LSXs. When I click on a playlist or audio file KEF LSX is shown under the JRiver Media Center 26 label at the top and plays over the LSXs with no issue. When I click on streaming and then a station the output, with one exception, either does not play at all or it plays over the laptop speakers. The exception is Radio JRiver  -> Jazz (for example)  always leads to an Information popup box "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double-check your device, server, and network setting". Clicking "ok" will lead to it popping up several more times. If I then scroll up and immediately click on an audio file MC sends it to the LSXs with no issue.

Regards,

Marty

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 04:56:59 pm »

tlbriley, what do you have set at "Options > Audio > Advanced > Auto configure output settings on playback error"?

If it is set to "Yes", MC is probably switching Zones so that it can play the audio. I didn't think of that earlier and don't use that setting, so haven't seen that happen. Anyway, change that setting to "Ask" and see if you get popup messages about not being able to play the audio.

If you do get that message, then we could perhaps solve the issue, which is probably the same as mgagneur's.

mgagneur, it sounds like you already have MC set to Ask when there is a problem. As Radio JRiver is streaming FLAC files, it sounds like you have a setup issue with your MC DLNA Server, or your Renderer can't play the format you are sending it. It could be as simple as Radio JRiver is sending you 24 bit FLAC files and your KEF LSX can't play files with that bit depth. The files you are playing locally may be 16 bit FLAC files, or some other format entirely.

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 12:58:21 am »

tlbriley, what do you have set at "Options > Audio > Advanced > Auto configure output settings on playback error"?
If it is set to "Yes", MC is probably switching Zones so that it can play the audio. I didn't think of that earlier and don't use that setting, so haven't seen that happen. Anyway, change that setting to "Ask" and see if you get popup messages about not being able to play the audio.
If you do get that message, then we could perhaps solve the issue, which is probably the same as mgagneur's.

It is already set to "Ask".

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 01:56:40 am »

It is already set to "Ask".

Well, I can't tell why MC would change Zone and play locally, instead of to the Oppo BD-103 via DLNA. But the fact you don't get a popup asking what you want to do with the stream is an indicator.

Okay, try this modification of your process;

- Clicked Player > Zone > Oppo BDP-103. "Oppo BDP-103" is displayed just below "JRiver Media Center 26" in the Player Bar.
 - Click Streaming and the "Radio Swiss Jazz", bringing up that station's web page in the Content Panel.
 - Press and hold the Ctrl key, the click "Start the radio".

You should then get the "Streaming" dialogue popup. Select Play Stream then OK and see what happens.

stop-spinning

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 06:59:19 am »

I am trialing JRiver (version 30) and I too cannot fathom out how to send Radio Station 'Radio Swiss Jazz' to a DLNA renderer - I have the correct zone setup for my player

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 07:01:35 am »

MC won't re-direct a stream to a DLNA Renderer.

stop-spinning

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 08:02:31 am »

MC won't re-direct a stream to a DLNA Renderer.

I got around the problem by using the webplayer and putting in the Radio Swiss Jazz URL - this worked fine to my DLNA renderer.

This is the first day of my 30 day trial and so far it's not doing quite what I want it to.

The next problem - I wanted my network DLNA rendered to work with DSP - but it seems DSP will only work with local connections and not networked zones.

Two minuses for me - not easy to just play the inbuilt radio station and send to DLNA (you have to fudge your way around it) ... and secondly it looks like I cannot use the DSP in this situation.

Unless there's something I don't know.

I would really like to DSP the volume of the stream at the software level on the computer (W10 NUC in my case) before it reaches my DLNA renderer which does not itself support any form of volume control.

I am able to do this (after much research) using Squeezebox LMS - but not so it would seem using JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 08:43:58 am »

You can route browser audio through MC by using the WDM driver:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

stop-spinning

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 08:57:09 am »

You can route browser audio through MC by using the WDM driver:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

OK interesting thanks - my final goal is to change the volume control from the software (JRiver) on the NUC before it reaches the renderer which does not support volume control at all (as mentioned earlier).

Then as the final "excellence" control the music and volume control using a JRiver App on my iPhone - will this all be achievable if I carry on down the JRiver route?

If so then at the end of it I will buy into it (more than likely - it's toss between LMS, JRiver and Roon - whatever is the 'slickest' with only my end goal in mind)

Pages: [1]   Go Up