INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Export/Import for Theater View views  (Read 1255 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Export/Import for Theater View views
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:40:37 pm »

Currently we have a way to export/import and share view definitions for Standard View, but nothing like that exists for Theater View/JRemote/DNLA views.

With all the customization and advances that have been made recently in the tooltip thread, view definitions (especially for Theater View) have become a lot more complicated than previously.  People would really like to be able to copy their carefully crafted view definitions to another machine, or to share them with others.

Could we please have an export/import functionality for Theater View/JRemote/DNLA views?

The export need not be super elaborate.  Even if it exported the entire structure for all views, as long as it saved it to a readable text file, the user could strip out the views he didn't want to share or copy.  The import function could then just add to the existing structure whatever is defined in the file.

The point is, even something very simple would be infinitely better than what we have now, which is a totally manual process where all levels must be manually created, and you have to individually copy/paste on many many many different entry boxes to move even one view over.

I think this could help a lot of people, and spur further cool developments.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
Re: Feature Request: Export/Import for Theater View views
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 09:33:51 pm »

This would be really great.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:13:57 pm »

+1
I'm especially in need to duplicate my DLNA servers.

My scenario for example is that I'm creating three DLNA servers which all have some special use case:
- One DLNA server is meant to use inside LAN so nothing is re-encoded because I have the bandwith.
- Second server I have set MC to re-encode "everything" so it is practical when playing outside the LAN.
- Third is DLNA for headphones which uses DSP crossfeed.

It is really really time consuming and frustrating to create every view three times and then do the same also for JRemote views.

So big +1 from me

greynolds

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 05:28:23 pm »

Agreed, this would be a very useful addition.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 07:25:23 pm »

Agreed. This would be good. I'd mostly use it to import other people's View ideas, or share mine with them. But I might also use it to back up View definitions before I rework them, without the need to Backup/Restore the whole MC Library.

Particularly useful when building new Views based on new fields, so that I can Backup/Restore Views without having to Restore a Library and lose any new fields created.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

greynolds

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:38 pm »

As sort of a stretch goal, it would be nice too if it could be extended a bit to be able to copy / paste views in the view editor.  I know I've created several different views that share a lot in common, but differ by grouping the results by import date, name, or series.  It sure would have been nice to be able to create one of the views and then copy/paste and tweak for each of the variations.

wer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:05:56 pm »

The copy/paste is a good idea.  In fact, if actual file i/o is too much to ask, we could just copy and save the clipboard to a text file ourselves. 

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 11:31:33 pm »

I agree with all of the above.
The ability to share Theater views in this community would be a game changer.

It even got me thinking of setting up a second DLNA server to encode as per lepa's post.

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:53:49 am »

+1, agreed, this would be very useful.
Looking forward !

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:25:05 am »

The copy/paste is a good idea.  In fact, if actual file i/o is too much to ask, we could just copy and save the clipboard to a text file ourselves.
For the copy/paste feature to be useful for exporting the entire tree, a top level "All" item would need to be added to the tree in the Theater View editor.  When copy is selected, it would copy the currently selected node (and all sub-items).  Similarly, when paste is selected, it would paste the selected content under the currently selected node.  At least for me, this would have been a HUGE time saver when creating my views.

Being able to save the copied content to a file would similarly be a game changer for sharing views.  There would still be the issue of differences in custom library fields, but that's something people could presumably handle dealing with.

wer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:22 pm »

For the copy/paste feature to be useful for exporting the entire tree, a top level "All" item would need to be added to the tree in the Theater View editor.

A new level in the tree isn't needed.  This could be done with just "Copy all" and "Copy node (and sub-nodes)" items on a right-click menu.

greynolds

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 12:45:46 pm »

A new level in the tree isn't needed.  This could be done with just "Copy all" and "Copy node (and sub-nodes)" items on a right-click menu.
Sure, that would work fine as well.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »

+1 for me here as well.

wer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 11:17:24 am »

Could someone from JRiver consider this and give us some feedback?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 11:51:32 am »

It isn't a bad idea.

greynolds

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »

It isn't a bad idea.
So does that mean it's a good idea that will be given serious consideration?

wer

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 03:30:20 pm »

Well we already knew that in fact it's a really good idea.

But will you implement it?  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 04:53:52 pm »

Possibly.  No promises.
Pages: [1]   Go Up