INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to really delete old library, short of a complete re-install?  (Read 2232 times)

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck

I've done some searching and have not found a clear (or successful) answer to this question. First, some background. I'm an avid MC user, but I don't rely heavily on the library or database features. From an earlier problem thread a month or two back, about mysterious file name and tag changes, it was suggested that it was not a good idea to routinely delete and re-import the same files. Yet this is a normal part of my usage; I can't think of a satisfactory alternative to it.

One thing that is clear is that MC "remembers" what was in a library, even if all the files have been deleted. And, today, it "remembers" even if the old library is removed, a brand new library is created, and a directory's files are then imported into the supposedly new directory!!! As evidence, here's a snip from said import:

Imported 45789 new files.
Updated 43 files that had external changes.
Failed to import 43 files.

Now, pray tell, how can the program possibly know that there were external changes when a totally new library has been created??? The only possible answer is that MC is doing some type of behind-the-scenes bookkeeping. No doubt this has a legitimate use, but it works against what I'm trying to use MC for. Furthermore, it's not surprising since when you remove a library, MC says it won't delete your library or media files. Well, I don't want the library files!

What do I want? Simple. I want to blow away the old library, everything (I would keep my device settings if possible because I have 8 channels of active EQ).  I have these settings saved (written down) so I can re-enter them manually if I must. But I'd like to be able to wipe all record of what files MC was managing, and then let it read in a "new" library (I preen the files using 3rd party utilities). If there is no offered solution, I will do a complete un-install and re-install, set up my hardware, and then back up the fresh, empty "library" and could be a work-around. But much easier to delete those pesky files that I haven't found yet :)

What do I need to do? Can you point me to where the "hidden" library files are stored? Should I just do a full uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to really delete old library, short of a complete re-install?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:23:56 pm »

Have you tried the Clear Library option? There's also the deleted files database, to expunge MC's memory of previously deleted files without affecting settings.

it was suggested that it was not a good idea to routinely delete and re-import the same files. Yet this is a normal part of my usage; I can't think of a satisfactory alternative to it.

I'm curious about this point.  Looking back at your post history, which is short but goes back years, the way you seem to use MC seems to differ substantially from its intended use.  What is your "normal usage" such that you think it necessitates repeatedly delete and reimport the same files?  In other words, how do you use MC, and why do you think routinely deleting and reimporting the same files is "good" and provides you with some benefit you cannot get any other way?

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 07:24:03 am »

What do I need to do? Can you point me to where the "hidden" library files are stored? Should I just do a full uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.

The hidden library files are located at:  %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 26\Library

Backups are located here:  %USERPROFILE%\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 26\Library Backups

Play around with the first location above until you get the results you are looking for.  If you accidentally screw something up, restore from the backup location.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:30:13 am »

The hidden library files are located at:  %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 26\Library
Also check for, and delete or rename, Library folders from older versions, because, if the installer finds them, it will use them.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:09:02 pm »

How to do this is easy.

Why you want to do this is hard to understand. If we did understand what you are trying to achieve, we may be able to provide a simpler, working solution.

I tried earlier and stand by what I said back then: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125284.msg868032.html#msg868032
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 05:00:20 pm »

Create a folder on a drive called say New Library, then if you right click on playing from main library and select add library then direct it to the empty New library folder you can create a completely new library. Import your files to it and let us know what the import results are.
But to echo various other comments God only knows why you are wanting to mess with the library the way you are, unless perhaps you are exporting playlists from apple and then importing them into JRiver which brings you into the lets mix up the tags which is fundemental to the apple idiom.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 07:51:19 am »

Have you tried the Clear Library option? There's also the deleted files database, to expunge MC's memory of previously deleted files without affecting settings.

I'm curious about this point.  Looking back at your post history, which is short but goes back years, the way you seem to use MC seems to differ substantially from its intended use.  What is your "normal usage" such that you think it necessitates repeatedly delete and reimport the same files?  In other words, how do you use MC, and why do you think routinely deleting and reimporting the same files is "good" and provides you with some benefit you cannot get any other way?
Yes, tried clear library. Does not address the problem. MC still "remembers" files. I do not know about the deleted files database.
Here's a link to an earlier description of how I (ab-)use MC :)

I run a single PC with the attached USB drive. MC is the media player. What may depart from normality is that I have two separate directories of files and similarly named libraries:

Before "new" files are put into INBOX I will typically preen them on a separate PC. They are passed through Mp3Gain, MP3Tag to inspect tags and sometimes change file names to taste, and less often the insidious  >:( MusicBrainz Picard. Beyond all doubt, these preliminaries have the greatest chance of screwing things up.
But these files at least pass a quick visual test (for the data) and then are copied into the INBOX tree.

INBOX is a directory containing a mess of files that, as the name might imply, are candidates to listen to and delete when I no longer want them. If I want to keep a file, I use the control-C (copy) and then paste (via) windows explorer into the KEEP directory. This does pose a risk of overwriting a file of the same name. But Windows always provides the dialog box. Usually I end up renaming adding "(Group name)" to the file's name.

KEEP is intended to be the long-term keepers. In theory at least, the files in this directory do not change.

MC is configured to have two libraries with names parallel to the directories above. They are, separately,
E:\MUSIC\INBOX
E:\MUSIC\KEEP

That is why I was surprised this evening when, while Library=Keep was active, that I tried an import and the error message claimed a couple files in the INBOX directory. I wish I had done a screen shot. Might this info be in the logs file? I would think that separate libraries are, well, separate. Is it possible that there is some interaction between them?
Some additional points: I know MC is a media player with an enormously rich set of features. However, I rarely need most of them. I was perfectly content with the ancient WinAmp and a video player such as VLC for my infrequent video watching. The only reason I moved to MC was it was the best solution to have an active crossover. For $50 it is very hard to beat. I still use WinAmp occasionally on a laptop. MC is great, but a luxury yacht is overkill if all you need is a canoe :D

Stubbornness: suggestions have been made before that I am not using MC "properly" and I don't deny it. However, consider my point of view: I have a certain way of doing things. They work for me. Even if MC can do those things equivalently (which is possible but far from certain) I would have to learn a different process, with no guarantee that I will get the same results. Again, let me repeat: For my limited purposes, I would be perfectly happy with  an ancient media player but for the need for the active EQ. "But you're missing out on all the wonderful features of MC" people will say. Perhaps, but again...learning curve, and is the time invested worth the added features?

As an analogy, I still use Office 2000. This product has been around for perhaps 30 years and of course, has changed many times.  Part of the reason I stuck with the year 2000 version was I am used to the user interface*. I did not like newer versions of Office when I had to use them. Furthermore, years ago I read (and believe) that, despite Microsoft's best efforts to provide good documentation, about 50% of the product improvement suggestions they receive are to add features that were already in the software! ::)
*Also, I am cheap  ;D

Another counter-argument to that is that my current, barbaric :) workflow doesn't limit me to MC as my only player. As rich as its feature set may be, that doesn't do a bit of good when I want to copy a batch of files onto a flash drive and listen to them through the radio in my 2017 Kia. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a version of MC that will run on the factory stock radio that comes with that car  ;D

Another example: because of my audio set up (active EQ, 8 channels of audio via HDMI), I've run into the problem when I tried to play a video in MC that it reasonably thought the video was surround sound for a HTR when this was in fact not the case. My work-around was to use VLC that would provide stereo audio out, and this was piped through MC via the WDM/loopback feature. Now, it is possible that MC can be configured to force stereo out for video sources, but I don't know how. And is it worth my effort when I watch maybe two videos a month? I said "no."

Thanks for the tips so far. I will play with my system and report results.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 08:03:44 am »

https://xkcd.com/763/  ;)

No point in trying to change your ways, I guess :)
Perhaps we're just misinterpreting the Import message?

Imported 45789 new files.

Updated 43 files / failed 43 files. This coincidence to me suggests that perhaps it's not remembering anything from the past, but instead it's failing to process 43 files and (possibly due to a bug) it also prints the message about the 43 updated files. It may also be that it's somehow thinking that 2 different files are in fact the same one, so when it tries to import the second "copy", it's in fact updating the first already-imported one (and failing). Maybe they have the same filename but different extensions? Or same name with some international character difference (accents)? Just throwing some ideas...

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 08:19:33 am »

But to echo various other comments God only knows why you are wanting to mess with the library the way you are, unless perhaps you are exporting playlists from apple and then importing them into JRiver which brings you into the lets mix up the tags which is fundemental to the apple idiom.
This raises an interesting point. Years ago I did use ITunes. I eventually purchased BeaTunes which was designed to work with ITunes, although I didn't like how slow the two worked when linked. Eventually I dumped Itunes, which I'd only used for making playlists (whatever their version of MC's Play Doctor was.) I still use BeaTunes to make playlists, which I then import into MC.

"Mixing up tags": yes, I do this extensively, cautiously with BeaTunes or MusicBrainz Picard, because they often would be incorrect. My favorite tool, even if considered naughty by RoderickGI :D , is Mp3Tag. I simply haven't found a better tool for checking and updating file tags. I allow MC might do as well or even better, but devil you know vs. devil you don't...  :-\

Not applicable to this current thread, but relevant to my prior threads: I never did identify what programs (if any) were causing tag errors or vanished files. I recently completed my "audit" of my KEEP music collection and there were a substantial number of those above errors. My solution was to lock down the KEEP directory (read-only and run apps in "user" mode instead of "administrator"). So far, no mysterious errors :) MC (and indeed, no program) was ever claimed to be "guilty" and it's likely that it was operator error that changed tags when he shouldn't have, or deleted files.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 08:20:53 am »

Thanks for the tips so far. I will play with my system and report results.

It is your license.  You may use the software however you wish within the licensing guidelines.

Notice my post simply answered your question.  I did not dictate how to use your license on your own computer  ;)

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 08:33:59 am »

Incidentally, if you completely delete the Library folder while MC26 is closed, it will be recreated the next time you start the application.  Make sure MC26 is not running first.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 05:50:41 pm »

Incidentally, if you completely delete the Library folder while MC26 is closed, it will be recreated the next time you start the application.  Make sure MC26 is not running first.

This is the easiest way to create a completely empty Library, and it may even retain MC settings, as they are stored in the Registry. But you will have to test that Solderman. Just be aware that the Library you delete needs to be the default Library as MC will recreate only the default Library using this method. As you have two Libraries, that may be an issue for you, if you are trying to clear both the INBOX and KEEP Libraries.

Also be aware that many settings MC uses are shared between Libraries, as they are stored in the Registry, and not in the Library.

I'm no longer trying to change what you do, but you still haven't answered the question; Why do you want to clear the Library regularly?

Even with your workflow, that shouldn't be necessary. Just set MC to remove any files that you have moved from the INBOX to the KEEP Library. Sure, the INBOX Library will still remember that it had those files, but they won't be included in Views, Smartlists, Playlists, and so on, if you have the settings correct. Maybe you would have to start Cutting files from the INBOX directory then Pasting them to the KEEP directory, instead of Copy and Paste, but that is a small change. Then MC could clean up the INBOX Library when an Import is run.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 05:58:41 pm »

[This is not a direct reply to your post. I entered this in the wrong thread, so reposting here.  I'll answer yours right after.]

I did a test wipe and re-import my two directories of files into my two libraries. I haven't seen any obvious errors but still get the odd (to me) messages on the import reports (see below). Also, note that I am getting a recurrence of the error I reported in the earlier bug report

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125284.msg868032.html#msg868032

We can't -- yet -- claim that MC is at fault. But, relevant to this thread's request, I would like to know how to get MC back to the equivalent of a fresh install. I have evidence that not the media file's tags being corrupted (they are read-only now  :) ) but MC is messing up its database. I would like to see if I can reproduce this problem from a pristine install...something I did not try earlier.  Reading through this earlier bug report, I don't see that I resolved it one way or another. After the extensive preening of these files, I have eliminated a lot of errors. Pretty sure there are no tag errors in the two files at issue today.

Here is the blab of Wipe and re-import test #1:

June 16 -- Trials with wiping the Library in MC

Test #1:
First I made backup copies of the directories:
C:\JRiver Library INBOX
C:\JRiver Library KEEP [these are the library files I was asked to create]

I also backed up the application created ones:
...Documents\JRiver [my archive/backup directory is still called “Media Center 23”!]
...AppData\Roaming\JRiver

Then I completely removed all the above files, as Administrator. Then I booted into my user account and started MC. As expected, it has my default settings (I know these are stored in the Registry).

Now importing files for INBOX (which is the default loaded library):

Here’s an trimmed report of the import:

“Library now has 45583 files. Search and update took 1:03:04.

Imported 45731 new files.

[...]

Failed to import:
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\AMBIENT\Elina Duni\2007 - Elina Duni - Baresha (Meta)\Baresha.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\AMBIENT\Elina Duni\2010 - Elina Duni Quartet - Lume, Lume (Meta)\Lume, Lume.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\AMBIENT\Elina Duni\2012 - Elina Duni Quartet - Matane Malit (ECM)\Matane Malit.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\AMBIENT\Elina Duni\2015 - Elina Duni Quartet - Dallendyshe (ECM)\Dallendyshe.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Bat For Lashes\Albums\(2007) Fur and Gold (Bonus Track)\Fur and Gold.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Bill Laswell\1999 - Charged [320] Toshinori Kondo, Eraldo Bernocchi\Charged.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\JAZZ\Steve Tibbetts\1982 - Northern Song\Steve Tibbets - Northern Song.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\JAZZ\Steve Tibbetts\1988 - Yr\Tibbetts, Steve - Yr.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\JAZZ\Steve Tibbetts\1989 - Big Map Idea\Tibbetts, Steve 1989 - Big Map Idea - Big Map Idea.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\JAZZ\Steve Tibbetts\2002 - A Man About A Horse\Steve Tibbetts - A Man About A Horse.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\JAZZ\Steve Tibbetts\1994 - The Fall Of Us All\Steve Tibbetts - The Fall Of Us All.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jazz Poetry\The Last Poets - Oh My People + Delights Of The Garden (1992)\Oh My People   Delights of the Garden.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jazz Poetry\The Last Poets - This Is Madness (1971)\This Is Madness.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Bleed\Bleed.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Summer Solstice\Summer Solstice.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Rainshadow Sky\Rainshadow Sky.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Daylight Slowly\Daylight Slowly.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\The Light Beyond\The Light Beyond.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Tenderness and Fatality\Tenderness and Fatality.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\The Hidden Rift\The Hidden Rift.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\To the Shores of Heaven\To the Shores of Heaven.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\Vestiges\Vestiges.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\Jeff Pearce\True Stories (with Vidna Obmana)\True Stories.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\MOJA\Bill Frisell-11-albums\Bill Frisell - Music for the Films of Buster Keaton - Go West\Music For The Films Of Buster Keaton - Go West.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\MOJA\Gary Burton\Astor PiazzollaReunion - A Tango Excursion\Astor PiazzollaReunion - A Tango Excursion.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Blue Montreux, Live (1979) [FLAC]\Blue Montreux.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Detente (1980) [FLAC]\Detente.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Don't Stop The Music (1976) [FLAC]\Don't Stop The Music - FLAC.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Don't Stop The Music (1976) [FLAC]\Don't Stop The Music.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop (1978) [FLAC]\Heavy Metal Be-Bop.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Out Of The Loop (1994) [FLAC]\out of the loop_CDImage.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Out Of The Loop (1994) [FLAC]\out of the loop_Corrected_FLAC.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Out Of The Loop (1994) [FLAC]\out of the loop_Noncompilant_FLAC.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Out Of The Loop (1994) [FLAC]\out of the loop_Corrected_WAV.cue

E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Out Of The Loop (1994) [FLAC]\out of the loop_Noncompilant_WAV.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Return Of The Brecker Brothers (1992) [FLAC]\Return Of The Brecker Brothers.cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Straphangin' (1981) [FLAC]\Straphangin' - FLAC.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - Straphangin' (1981) [FLAC]\Straphangin' - WAV.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - The Brecker Brothers (1975) [FLAC]\The Brecker Brothers - FLAC.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\The Brecker Brothers\The Brecker Brothers - The Brecker Brothers (1975) [FLAC]\The Brecker Brothers - WAV.CUE
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\TRANCE\Pure Trance 1\32. VA - Solarstone pres. Pure Trance (Continuous DJ Mix 1 By Solarstone).cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\TRANCE\Pure Trance 1\33. VA - Solarstone pres. Pure Trance (Continuous DJ Mix 2 By Orkidea).cue
    E:\MUSIC\INBOX\TRANCE\Pure Trance 2\34. VA - Solarstone pres. Pure Trance 2 (Continuous DJ Mix 1 By Solarstone).cue”

[end of import report]

Curious: I specifically unchecked all the configure auto import -> “Media Import” window “tasks” including “update for external changes”. As I asked before, what could possibly have changed?

Everything seems normal. I imported one playlist and listened to part of it.

Next I switched to (empty) library KEEP and, again unchecked all the import options. Then I imported. Again, weirdness:

“Library now has 5140 files. Search and update took 7:18.

Imported 2459 new files.
…”

Again, why/how does it know what is “new”? It should have no memory of previous databases.

(?) One thing I didn’t try (was it suggested?) is to use completely new names for my Libraries. But why should I? But for testing purposes, if that is a recommended, let that be trial #2.

Error Found. I’m seeing the same problem where the Library (database) is being corrupted somehow. The problem shows up as duplicates on the imported playlist that aren’t actually duplicates. I this case, the PL = Genre New Wave, problem songs as follow:

#    Title    Artist
13 Underneath the Radar    Underworld
14 [repeats the information, wrong] should be: Peek-a-book     Souixsie & the Banshees

This appears to be the only goof in 129 entries.

Using non-MC (Mp3Tag if it matters) I inspected the playlist and the tags for the two affected files. The files are ok. Beyond all doubt, something is goofy in MC. Using the Tags editor in MC, the corrupt entry (of #14 in the playlist) does show the correct album artist (Souixsie & the Banshees). Should I re-open this as a bug report? Surely it’d be worth testing this. All the more reason to know how to set up a pristine installation  for testing purposes. As you (?) said in the earlier thread, a change in an imported playlist can alter an entry in the library's database, but nothing should have changed in this latest experiment.

06:50 pm addenda: I ran a test on my "test bed" system, I can reproduce the "duplciated" and/or Library error. Would you like me to send logs? Re-open the old thread?

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »

Roderick, you asked recently (5:50 PM message):
"I'm no longer trying to change what you do, but you still haven't answered the question; Why do you want to clear the Library regularly?"

It doesn't have to be regularly, but as a troubleshooting step. As you'll see in my above post, I saw a recurrence of the issue I reported in

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125284.0.html

That alone would be a good enough reason to know how to wipe everythng and start over, even if just as a troubleshooting step. Also, unless I'm mistaken, "clear the Library" is far from a complete wipe of everything, am I right?

Additionally, I haven't experienced any issues with the default library. On the surface, it is a clean re-install and I can add my KEEP and INBOX libraries and import as normal. From your message, are you saying that I can cut and paste from one library to another from within MC? Really move the file from one directory to another, not just make changes in two Library (Databases)? Heaven forbid, I mgiht have to actually use MC as intended  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 09:46:19 pm »

You seem to have worked out how to start with a fresh Library while retaining settings. As long as you are deleting the correct directories for the associated Libraries, that is fine.

I have never tested the "Clear Library" function to see what, if anything, it leaves behind.

Your errors above are all CUE files. I don't work with CUE files so I can't comment on why they failed to import. However, I do know that importing both the CUE files and the audio files they refer to has caused strange results in the past for others. A search of the forum might find answers. I don't think you have mentioned the use of CUE files previously. It can confuse observations. When you get an error in the imported files, when you import a Playlist (i.e. 13 Underneath the Radar    Underworld) that could be because of an error rin the CUE file. I don't know.

It is a little strange that you fresh KEEP Library showed 5140 files in total after the import, but only 2459 new files. That could be related to the CUE files issue above. In the past I have seen a thread where one CUE files pointing to one audio file that contained 13 tracks produced 169 (132) records in MC. I can't remember if that was a bug, or user error. I think the user had multiple copies of the associated FLAC file, and the CUE files was creating a Track record for each track for each FLAC file. Was that your thread? I think you are supposed to just import the CUE files, and not the related audio file, but I'm not sure.

If you have MC Auto Import "Fix broken Links" set to "Yes" or "Yes (protect files on missing drives)", then all you need to do in Windows Explorer is cut the files from the INBOX directory and paste them into the KEEP directory, then run Import on each Library. MC will remove the record for the INBOX Library, and import the new file into the KEEP Library. No, you can't just copy and paste from one Library to another within MC.

You could use the MC "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function to move the files from the INBOX directory to the KEEP directory, and then import in the KEEP directory, but that will leave the file in the INBOX Library as well, just pointing to the new location in the KEEP directory. Of course, you could then delete the record from the INBOX Library. I don't see any particular advantage in using the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function in this case.

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 11:02:34 am »

Thank you. However, two questions remain unaddressed:

(1) Even deleting (presumably) all the working directories does not actually result in a pristine condition. It appears that MC is remembering deleted files. Are there hidden files that I've not yet found?

(2) You did not reply to my offer to trobleshoot the Library database errors during import. I have a suspicion that MC is corrupting its own database even if there have been no external changes of the files. I am willing to do some troubleshooting and submit logs or whatever, but I'm not going invest the effort unless you are willing to consider it as a bug and take a report. As currently set up, KEEP contains > 5000 files and there are several playlists imported. I can easily make a test bed of just the two problem files and a single equivalent playlist.

Perhaps I'm being impudent  :D but seems to me that somethng is not entirely right if fields that haven't actually changed, are reflected as having changed in your database.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 11:15:48 am »

I would guess there would be something in the registry

just a thought
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 11:35:53 am »

Amazingly I've not trashed the registry...I pruned it last night as backups were still being saved to a "Media Center 23" directory. I have been a MC (ab-)user for a while, haven't I?

I'd still like to know how to do a clean install of MC, short of reformatting the disk and reinstallng Windows :D

Short of that, based on me seeing the import bug, I could not resist and did some testing. I made a toy directory, just the two offender files. For authenticity, I imported these into BeaTunes and then exported them as a playlist one each *.m3u, and *.m3u8.

It's worth mentioning that Support here, in the old thread, mentioned that *.m3u8 files can cause problems. And indeed they can! While it's not a perfect test, since I am not certain that I really am deleting out old MC files, libraries and databases, I can in fact reproduce the problem using the m3u8 file. In contrast, the m3u imports and displays as it should.

I'd still call this a bug. If MC handles *.m3u8, it shouldn't corrupt its own database. It's not clear to me why m3u8 should cause such a problem.

wer

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 11:36:18 am »

A google search for "jriver deleted files database" reveals this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60732.0

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 06:43:04 pm »

You do realise that most of us here don't work for JRiver, don't you Solderman? Only the Administrators work for JRiver, and not even all of them. I certainly don't. It would be nice to be paid for the work I do here, but it is all voluntary, and only done because I want to.

So, it isn't my database, and I don't have access to the code or debugging tools to find out why you observe some strange results from imports. Frankly, I don't think JRiver would be interested in debugging your issue either, as you use MC in a very non-standard way, with many third-party moving pieces, and do lots outside MC, with no guarantee that what those third-party tools produce is compatible with MC. Then if they aren't compatible, who is to say which is wrong? Both are just application vendors, and if anything JRiver tends to stick to the standards more than other vendors.

To your questions:

(1) When you deleted the MC Library and AppData directories you were starting with a completely fresh Library. Nothing to do with deleted files or any media files is stored in the Registry. It is just settings. MC is pristine at that point except for settings in the Registry.

If you want to completely remove MC and start from scratch then just run the Windows Uninstall process and select to remove Registry entries and Library files. That will completely remove all relevant files and directories, unless there are some files in some MC directories that MC doesn't' control. But they won't affect a new installation. Of course, MC doesn't remove Library Backup files, as they need to be protected. So you will see some remnants of MC after a complete uninstall, for good reason.

(2) I don't believe that the messages you are seeing indicate that MC is remembering anything after you had deleted those directories. I don't believe there is any bug. I would have to watch over your shoulder and record everything you do to understand exactly what might be happening, because your workflow is so different, and you use lots of third-party tools. I would have to review every file after tagging externally, and every Playlist before import, and so on. Not really practical from a remote location.

But if you wanted to zip up the two M3U and M3U8 Playlist files, your CUE files that don't import, and the two offending files, I might have a look at them. As they would probably make a large zip file, and it won't be possible to post it here, put it up on Google Drive or similar and share a link here to download it.

Regarding these messages:

I suspect errors in the CUE files, or missing files they refer to, is the cause of these messages. If MC tries to import the files, they would be "touched" by Windows, which could update the Modified Date in Windows, which could then generate the "Updated 43 files that had external changes" message. That could be considered a circular process, or perhaps a misleading message, but not a bug.

I'm not sure about the M3U8 file issue, as there was a problem a while back, but I would have to go back and find that discussion to see how it was resolved.

Then there is this:
Amazingly I've not trashed the registry...I pruned it last night as backups were still being saved to a "Media Center 23" directory. I have been a MC (ab-)user for a while, haven't I?

See, if you knew MC better, you would know that all you needed to do was go to "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups" and change the Library Backup location there. I changed mine to a non-version-specific location years ago, so MC Upgrades no longer need special attention to the location where automatic backups are saved. Also note that manual Library Backups can be stored anywhere, and Library Restores can be done from anywhere, and when they are, MC remembers where they were last done to/from. But automatic backups always use the location from the setting.

wer

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:35 pm »

My friend Rod has been extremely generous with his time already, beyond any reasonable expectation really.  He puts a lot of time and effort into these replies, and he researches things on your behalf.  And the fact that he's still willing (perhaps) to look at your pile of files is simply stunning.  So that's something to keep in mind.

He's doing this for no other reason than out of the goodness of his heart.

And you're not even Australian...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 09:06:58 pm »

And you're not even Australian...

;D ;D ;D

Thanks mate.  :D

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 06:57:41 pm »

Roderick and others, thank you for all the help you have offered me on this and other recent problems. I'm glad that you provide volunteer help. But may I point out that I am an unpaid tester too :D In my last paying job, I sometimes did user interface testing. We acted as naive users of a complex application and tried to break it by doing various stupid things, ask it to do unreasonable tasks, etc. I would offer it as a credit to MC's developers that after having used it in odd ways for several years, that at worst, a minor import/database bug is the worst I could do.

Re the import oddities, I actually don't worry about the *.cue files. 99.9% of my KEEP is mp3 or a few other compressed formats. As for the *.m3u8 bug (?) I could supply the playlists of course, but the music files are copyrighted and thus not available. If there were a way to strip the audio out of them and leae the tags intact...

Pages: [1]   Go Up