INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: automatic Folder-creation for handheld??  (Read 2659 times)

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
automatic Folder-creation for handheld??
« on: April 17, 2003, 04:09:20 am »

I really like the feature offering automatic folder-creation in a data-cd-project.

Could you add this one for handhelds as well? Would be really nice! Having a 512 MB card filled with MP3s without any organization is almost chaotic!

Moreover, I tried to upload some classical music, Mozart & Verdi Requiem, both start with 01 - Requiem.mp3, without folders I cannot upload both that way.

Thanks
Raist

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: automatic Folder-creation for handheld??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 11:55:28 am »

Raistlin2000,

Does your handheld show up as a removable drive?  

If so, have you tried right clicking on your drive and using the "Synchronization" Option. This will create the folders like you request.

Steve

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 12:19:33 pm »

This sounds excellet. I've just tried this with a Sony memory stick drive that shows up as a removable disk but when i right-click i don't see any 'syncronize' option.

Is there anything else i need to setup?

Thanks, JJ   (9.0.145)
listening to KEXP.org or 'john peel' on my stereo recorded some time last week

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 01:02:19 pm »

Not sure, but try updating.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 01:58:15 pm »

If you left click on the drive letter, do you see your files?

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 03:33:13 am »

This synchronization doesn't create any folders for me, morover I can only upload playlists, so I have to create playlists & upload in a second step?!

Another issue: I still can't send two files with the same name onto my handheld because I have no folders!

My classical music is tagged that way: ARTIST - ALBUM\TRACK# - NAME.

So I have two times: 01 - Requiem.mp3

Could you describe the usage of synchronization?

Thanks
Raist

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 05:01:58 am »

Thanks Jim & Steve, i've updated to 154.

I was looking in 'My Computer', that's why!

But, i tried it on an IOmega Peerles and found it in the 'CD, DVD & Handhelds'. Now here's the problem, both the memory stick & peerless show as removeables in win explorer but only the peerless (& dvds) shows in handhelds in MC. Any ideas?

Thanks, JJ

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 05:12:14 am »

Further......

I have changed the drive letter of the memory stick drive ages ago. I remembered some one posting about a missing drive and the suggestion to delete and reinstall it. I wonder if i've got the same but i couldn't find the post for the details. Anyone remember?

Thanks, JJ

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2003, 06:59:34 am »

Raist,

Lets start with what synchronization does and then get to what you may or may not be after.

Synchronization will bring up a list of your Playlists in MC. If you check the Playlists you want, and then click "Synchronize", MC will create folders that correspond to your Playlists and populate them with the music that is in your Playlists.

Please let me know if this is working for you and then lets look at what you want.

Steve

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 10:07:12 am »

Yup, this playlist-syncing is working!

But what I'm looking for are automatic-folder-shemes as they are for the CD-burning-progress.

So that for example my two requiems get into two separate folders using [ARTIST] - [ALBUM].

Would be really nice to drop just several albums onto my handheld and upload them in order.

Thanks
Raist

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 10:54:45 am »

JJ,

So your problem now is getting the memory stick to show under Handhelds in  MC 9?

If you check Properties on the memory stick in Explorer does the type say "Removable Disk"? If so, what is the capacity of the stick?

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2003, 11:07:32 am »

Raist,

I understand what you are asking for, but it is not a minor change. It is more complicated than on a CD because the content on a Handheld is dynamic in a way that the content on a CD is not.

Your idea is still good and I will look to add it in a future version, but it is too much to add right now.

Steve

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 12:13:46 pm »

Steve,

I actually use a mmc/sd drive for my mp3 player which works fine. i've also got a memory stick drive with a 4MB stick to play around with but its not working in MC like the sd drive. i'm happy to try and work out if its MC or something else.

Cheers, jj.

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2003, 07:07:27 am »

jj,

I think the problem is that the capacity of the stick is so small. (When checking for removable drives, I have a lower size limit requirement) Is it really practical to use a stick of such small capacity?

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2003, 07:15:04 am »

Steve,

I was only trying to use the stick to play with the syncronise feature (i've got a few short tracks) as the stick drive is built-in to my laptop whereas i had to fish out my mp3 player (mmc/sd drive). At least its not a bug in MC.

Cheers, JJ

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2003, 10:42:47 pm »

I understand what you are asking for, but it is not a minor change. It is more complicated than on a CD because the content on a Handheld is dynamic in a way that the content on a CD is not.

Complicated: I agree. Dynamicity of content: true for small handhelds, not for large ones. My Archos Jukebox has 20gb capacity, and with its weight, it just barely qualifies as a "handheld" device. :) I store on my Archos a large subset of the files from my main hard drive. The directory structure only changes when I add an artist/album.

To simplify my workflow, I need a synchronize command that will add new files, replace modified files, and (ideally) remove files that I've removed from the playlist I'm synchronizing with.

/kmc

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 06:31:40 am »

To simplify my workflow, I need a synchronize command that will add new files, replace modified files, and (ideally) remove files that I've removed from the playlist I'm synchronizing with.

Have you experimented with the checkboxes when you are synching? For example, "Delete files not in sync" will remove any files from your Handeld that are not in the Playlists you are synching. For example if you sync a playist with files "A,B,C,D" and then remove files "C,D" from the MC Playlist and resynch with this option selected, your Handheld Playlist will have files "A,B".

"Update Tags" will modify tag information on Handhelds that provide access to this information (i.e. reporting Artist, Album,etc ).

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2003, 11:16:58 am »

Have you experimented with the checkboxes when you are synching?

No, I have not experimented with the synchronize command at all, because it does not support file naming as described in this thread. I don't want to flatten the directory structure, because the artist/album file name hierarchy is the most basic and convenient form of navigation for the Archos MP3 player.

/kmc
Pages: [1]   Go Up