INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended settings for Media Center 26 with Synology NAS  (Read 2257 times)

ahaas

Recommended settings for Media Center 26 with Synology NAS
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:29:34 am »

I'm trying to fix an issue for someone using JRiver Media Center 26 as the player and a Synology DiskStation NAS. The problem he's having is with playback being choppy for both video and audio on every file he streams from his NAS.  In addition when playback is happening, the software becomes more or less unresponsive and has to be force quit.  He says that everything was working fine previously, but he had shut off his NAS for ~2 weeks and since turning it back on and upgrading from Media Center 24 to 26 he's had the issue. He's ripped BluRay disks to the NAS, I believe the bitrate it shows in the software is ~9000(k?)bps.  On the NAS side it seems like the download speed never jumps over 1.1 MB/s. Disk, CPU, and Memory utilization on the NAS are all low, and task manager on the local PC shows low utilization as well.

Currently I believe everything in Media Center is at default settings. I'm wondering if there are any recommended settings for use to get smooth playback from network storage? Unfortunately I don't have access to the system currently to check on anything, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recommended settings for Media Center 26 with Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:35:18 am »

The possibilities are:
Bandwidth available (network and NAS)
Wireless?
CPU (unlikely if audio also skips)

Make sure you configure antivirus.  Take a look at the Weird Problems section here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126462.0.html

ahaas

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:16:57 pm »

Bandwidth availability was a thought, but if it is, it'd have to be the router that's the bottleneck. The NAS and PC show gigabit connections. Both are wired directly to the router. I'll have to double check the antivirus settings, I'm not sure what software he's using for that.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 06:23:31 pm »

You should also ensure that any local Media Server software running on the Synology is disabled, as this could perform performance issues if it is constantly fighting MC. You should also make sure any indexing and thumbnailing are finished or disabled on the Synology as this can really hammer the disk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up