INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VST3 Progress...  (Read 1086 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
VST3 Progress...
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »

Hi all,

Next build we'll have a couple more progressions for VST3 support.

First, some plugins didn't provide a display.  It turned out we needed to connect the edit controller and the process component.  This got display on the Dirac plugins for example.

Then some plugins only support 32-bit float which we didn't support.  So the next build will also add support for the 32-bit float format.  This also helped the Dirac plugins.

Thanks everyone for testing and feedback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
Re: VST3 Progress...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 06:14:09 pm »

Great job Matt! I can confirm VST's and VST3's built using the JUCE framework display and operate correctly in 27.0.16 (64 bit).

Thank you!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:33:02 pm »

Thanks, Mitchco.  Good to know.  Thanks for your patience.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:29:05 am »

Hi @Matt, is it correct to assume that Dirac VST3 fits better (less rounding errors) into JRiver 64-bit engine than VST2?

Trying to understand what you wrote :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:00:58 am »

Dirac is a 32-bit plug-in, so it should be the same in either version of MC.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:28:18 am »

Then I am still confused -

Why is there an issue with VST3 and Dirac, if Dirac works just fine as VST2, and there is no difference SQ wise?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 11:12:41 am »

There is no difference in quality or usability between VST2 or VST3. If a plugin is already running as VST2 for you, you can just happily keep using that.
Steinberg just decided to force VST3 onto everyone who wants to do new things.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:50:27 am »

Next build will advance things again.

We were only configuring a stereo channel layout, so 5.1 and 7.1 didn't work.

Next build will do 2, 4, 6, and 8 channel layouts.

Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »

I made another big piece of progress today.

Next build will load and save VST3 states.

wer

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 01:30:34 pm »

Don't forget 3 and 5 channels. Those exist on movie soundtracks. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:03 pm »

Don't forget 3 and 5 channels. Those exist on movie soundtracks. :)

Next build:
NEW: Added 3 channel to the VST3 output (L, R, C).

5 channel was already there.

wer

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 01:42:01 pm »

Speaking of 4 channel movies, do you have to account for L,R,C,LFE and L,R,SL,SR separately?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »

Speaking of 4 channel movies, do you have to account for L,R,C,LFE and L,R,SL,SR separately?

To avoid ambiguity, I'd recommend setting the output format in MC to the number of speakers you have.  Then the VST will be operating on those channels every time.

edojan

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:27 pm »

I made another big piece of progress today.

Next build will load and save VST3 states.

Matt, what are the states you are referring to?  Please see the screenshot below. I am using Fabfilter ProQ3 VST3 and it works great, except there are a few issues I would like to bring to your attention:
1.  The plugin settings can be saved in a profile and set as default. However, this default is applied to all zones, rather than to a specific one. So, my default for Audio zone is also loaded to the Video zone. It would be very nice if each zone remembered the plugin state or had an option to load a specific configuration file.
2. When DSP studio settings are saved and then loaded again the relative position of active plugins are changing. E.g. if a specific DSP config was saved with ProQ3 plugin being above the room correction plugin, the next time the configuration is loaded it may appear below the room correction. 
3. The Program field (above the plugin) has the only option called "Default Setting" doesn't seem to do anything useful - what is its intended purpose? It would be great if we could use it to load the plugin configuration file specific to the saved DSP view.

wer

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 10:42:21 pm »

For what it's worth, I've seen those behaviors with VST2 plugins. Some plugins are just not zone aware.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 02:34:25 am »

Hi Matt, thanks for fixing the save/load VST3 states. Initial testing confirms the plugin parameters are being saved and loaded correctly.

Wrt to the presets, I saved and loaded a couple of presets, works great, nice work!

One small issue is clicking on Load -->Reset to Stock. In the case of music playing and clicking on it throws a is double precision processing exception as the plugin I am using processes 32 bit float.  Without music playing, it does reset the plugin state to its freshly installed state. Then when I load a preset, the preset is visually loaded correctly in the plugin, but the plugin parameters have not been loaded into JRiver's DSP engine and sounds like the plugin is bypassed. Closing DSP Studio and reopening it again restores plugin processing with the loaded preset and everything working correctly.

The plugin I am using processes audio passing through it. On the initial launch of JRiver, and the first time music is played with the plugin engaged, the first ~300ms of music passing through it is at full scale (0 dBFS) and then drops down quickly in level i.e. to the level set by the internal volume control. Subsequent closing and opening of the plugin does not produce this artifact. Only on the very first launch of JRiver with the plugin engaged and on the first play of music is the only time it happens.

The plugin I use opens files from the disk. The scroll bar in the attachment is fixed and does not move even if the dialog box is resized.

Great progress man!

Kind regards,
Mitch

edojan

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 06:59:58 pm »

I have updated to version 27.0.52 and re-tested the Fabfilter Pro Q3 Equalizer VST3. The issue persists. Even though the plugin state can be now saved using the new "Save" button and then to be loaded as default, it is still global and not specific to the loaded DSP profile or even Zone. This is certainly a progress, but it would be a lot more useful if the plugin states be subjected to the DSP profiles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up