INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB  (Read 1667 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB
« on: October 05, 2020, 03:27:57 pm »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-jetson-2gb&num=1

How is hardware decoding using NVIDIA GPUs on Linux? This may be a more capable HTPC SBC than the Pi 4B, which chugs on 4K. The CPU fallback would be much worse, so hardware decoding capability is critical.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:23:52 pm »

As far as I know, Jetson does not support typical hardware decoding methods, for some reason NVIDIA decided to use different APIs for those boards, so not useful.
If that actually changes on this new model, we won't know until it is available.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 07:20:37 am »

As far as I know, Jetson does not support typical hardware decoding methods, for some reason NVIDIA decided to use different APIs for those boards, so not useful.
If that actually changes on this new model, we won't know until it is available.

Interesting. I thought the whole point of a developer board was to use the same driver/software stack as the more expensive hardware. Bummer, these would make great little HTPCs and transcoding servers. Out of curiosity, is there a reason that MC cannot use NVIDIA's ffmpeg?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 07:58:23 am »

We can't support every kind of developer board out there with special versions of things, we have to either rely on standards or the most common hardware out there.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 08:52:43 am »

As Hendrik says, we try to follow mainstream hardware.  I recently looked up how the RPi is doing.  They've made 30,000,000 boards!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Pages: [1]   Go Up