INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering not playing, maybe.  (Read 939 times)

elsalvador99

• Recent member
Buffering not playing, maybe.
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:51 am »

Hi Chaps,

I am still using MC22, as my primary source to listen to my collection of 5.1 music.
So I have a windows 8 mini-pc attached to the back of my Yamaha amp, as the main source, outputting via HDMI audio.
Source storage is a SMB fileserver on the network, which also works without issues as a fileserver & a media server for my TVs (emby).
There's a network library on a windows 8 vm. (I tried a linux docker, which I'd prefer, but the cover art was broken).
The tracks are all listed in the library with the most generic URL possible, \\192.168.1.1\fileshare\music\xxx
I'm using that URL format because pf reading your wiki, which says it's better for shared libraries.
The library consists of WAV, FLAC, DVDs, MKVs allsorts, all tested with MC22 so they all play.
Fundamentally it works, mostly.
There are plug & play issues sometimes if I don't power things on in the right order, but meh.
However, I have a very annoying problem with MC22 on this mini PC.
Some tracks play & others don't.
The ones which don't play just say "buffering" or similar.
(The username & password are consistent on both the client & server).
I have checked the source files & they play fine with foobar2000 with the files dropped in from windows explorer, using exactly the same URL as above.

So how do I debug this? - any debug logs available?
What can I do to test it?
I have tried lots of things, including Local library (backup on known good working source, restored in mini-pc).

It almost seems like access to \\192.168.1.1\fileshare\music\xxx   isn't quite working, but how can I test that inside MC22?
Open to suggestions, please help.
Thanks in advance

BTW - I'm not keen to try the latest version, because of issues & re-installs & failures, I only have a small number of license installs left (I thought it was unlimited, but every time I get an email coutning down ominously).

elsalvador99

• Recent member
Re: Buffering not playing, maybe.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:58:17 pm »

so...an update...having had no comments so far...

Bought another (almost) identical client device, windows 8.1 pro, etc. as close as I could make it.
Bought another windows license.
Spent yet another license activation on it (even though I thought i'd done that 6 months ago, but hey who's counting, Oh, JRiver are).

Exactly the same setup, central library, 5.1 audio via HDMI output, same intel hardware.
Exactly the same music location, nothing's changed there.
Worked first time, on the tracks which wouldn't play on the other one.
Of course that's only a couple of the troublesome tracks, i stopped there because I was enjoying the music!

So now what? Maybe it won't work tomorrow? Maybe it won't work on a different set of media files, who knows, as I haven't actually found a cause, so I haven't actually fixed anything, just changed to a different machine, so different mac address is all.
Can someone please tell me how to set a debug level so I can at least gather some debug logs & at least get some kind of clue, maybe identify the difference between the two units - maybe a windows setting / poor MC install, missing DLL, corrupt file, could be anything.
Or have I just got to accept that sometimes it doesn't work and I need to buy a different PC?

Anyway, now enjoying a nice bit of Donald Fagen in beautiful 5.1 separation, yum. Sometimes testing is good, ;-)
Thanks in advance of some lovely debugging info.
;-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »

You might take a look at the Weird Problems thread in my signature, and at the Antivirus thread linked from the first post there.

elsalvador99

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 09:34:58 pm »

Hi JimH,
Thanks for the suggestion, wow there's a lot to read there!

FYI I've done a lot of elimination testing, and AV was an early one, although I'm not sure how to disable the internal microsoft ones...!

That's going to take me a few days to digest, but I will do, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up