INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Chromecast with JRiver  (Read 4027 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Using Chromecast with JRiver
« on: October 30, 2020, 11:53:54 am »

OK, this has been discussed already with previous versions of MC so I installed Bubble UPnP on the same PC where MC server sits. . I am posting here since I did the homework (using BubbleUPnP server): I can see the Chromecast renderer on JRiver but the playback is not ... fluent. It is interrupted from time to time (looks like a buffering problem, I am excluding it is a network problem since I can used other renderers w/o problems)
Any suggestions? Any MC DLNA renderer option to consider before I get drowned with Wireshark and other analyzers?

Tonight I will try video playback and ... cross mi fingers :)
any
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Using Chromecast with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:54:43 am »

I am using MC27 and windows 10
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 04:41:41 am »

The problem has disappeared ... movies are played ok but I cannot see subtitles though so I will go back to VLC media player which allows me to watch subtitles
Stereo:

john greenwood

• World Citizen
Using Chromecast with JRiver - continuous stream
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:41:21 am »

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd tag along here.

I am also using BubbleUPnP to allow me to access my ChromeCast Audio.  It works most of the time, but not always.  Skipping past all of my testing, with help from BubbleUPnP, I think I need a workaround.  Specifically, for certain albums I need to cast as a continuous stream in order to get the complete album to play.  I thought I read that was an option in MC, but I can't find it.  (Using JRiver 27)

If anyone is interested in my testing, feel free to post or PM me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:52:26 am »

Did you try just using Gizmo (on Android)?

Please describe your setup.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 09:53:01 am »

I have a Windows 10 computer as my server.  JRiver 27 and BubbleUPnP are installed.  I have several Google devices, but I've been testing with 2 ChromeCast Audios.  (Results are the same.)  My router is a Netgear Orbi.  I have an iPhone with JRemote, but no Android phone.  I thought Gizmo only worked on Android phones.

My test album has been a recording of Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues (hence 48 tracks).  I have repeated the following three times with identical results.  I start the album at Track 1.  It plays Tracks 1-15 without a problem.  It also plays Track 16, which ends (by design I think) with about 10 seconds of silence.  After that silence, it appears that there is a problem starting up the next track.  It (Track 17) finally starts, but now the playlist has lost the remaining 31 tracks, i.e. the only track in the playlist is Track 17.

During my troubleshooting, I tried playing the album using the JRiver player - no problem.

I then closed JRiver and BubbleUPnP, rebooted without either of them running, and started up the Logitech Media Server with the ChromeCast plug-in.  (LMS had not been running while I tested JRiver and BubbleUPnP.)  I played the album through a Squeezebox Radio without a problem.  I then tried playing the album through a ChromeCast Audio.  This also failed at Track 16/17 although in a slightly different manner: it would play the first 30 seconds or so of Track 17 before jumping to the next track.  I repeated this with the same result.

The fact that the album failed to stream properly at the same point, using two different media servers, indicates to me that the problem is not with MC or LMS, but some sort of communication failure with the Google devices.  I thought that if the music were sent as a constant stream, I might have a workaround.  I suppose I could also re-rip and use Cue files.  But the problem is not just with this album.  It happens on a small but significant portion of my 4000 album collection.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 05:59:05 pm »

In 2017, Bob stated in a post:

We are currently working on a new feature to allow a playlist to be sent as a stream to the device. It will solve the gapless playback for DLNA renderers that support playing of streams with some limitations (no track metadata, limited output format selection).

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=109828.0

Was this done?  That's really all I want to know.

pompon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 11:57:37 am »

With dlna in JRiver (to output to chromecast) can I apply a convolution filter on the stream ?

Tidal -> (output to JRiver driver) -> JRiver (with convolution filter) -> dlna -> chromecast audio

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 12:12:00 pm »

Chromecast isn't DLNA.  It's Google's own.

For DLNA, do a Google search for JRiver DSP over DLNA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up