INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revisit TheTVDB Support? Re: "Big Changes Coming to TheTVDB"  (Read 1268 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Revisit TheTVDB Support? Re: "Big Changes Coming to TheTVDB"
« on: November 16, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »

I received an email from TheTVDB a few days ago about a new user paid subscription model they're adding, in addition to some other changes.  Here's an excerpt from the email:

Hello,

There are some big changes coming for TheTVDB that will affect both developers and our end users, most notably our brand new API (“v4”). With the launch of this new API fast approaching, we wanted to give an overview of all of these changes.

Two Models for API Access

There are now two ways to access TheTVDB API. Each company, platform, or project will have the ability to select their preferred method of access. This decision will ultimately be up to the developers of the projects themselves, so if you are an end user, you'll need to wait for the platform/software you use to announce any changes regarding your access.

Licensed

This is the way things work now. Companies and projects enter into a contract with us and are given an API key. License fees are based primarily on usage, company size, and how the data is used.

Example: Mobile apps & websites

User-Supported

This is new. Some companies can’t or don’t want to license API access directly, and have requested that we pass along any cost to end users. We have determined an approach that will keep this affordable and accessible for all, detailed below.

Example: Synology Video Station

A note for Plex users: TheTVDB is in ongoing active discussions with Plex. Please stay tuned for more information if you are an end user of Plex.

User Subscriptions

User subscriptions are global, and not tied to a specific API key. This means that if, as an end user, you use three projects that make use of TheTVDB API, your subscription will grant access for any of them that choose the user-supported model.

Important Notes

• A subscription is required ONLY if the project/software you're using has indicated so — although we’d love for you to support the site anyway.
  • Subscribing will grant you a unique PIN, which will be entered into the software you use.
  • User subscriptions will be $11.99/year.
  • Subscriptions will also include an ad-free site experience, a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart, and future incentives that we’re planning.

While we believe this to be a reasonable subscription fee, we understand that some of you may prefer another approach. With that in mind, we’ll also allow users to earn a free annual subscription by contributing quality data to the site, like missing IDs, translations, and artwork. We’ll provide additional details concerning this model in the coming months.

In light of this user paid subscription option, will JRiver please seriously consider adding support back in for TheTVDB under the user paid subscription option?  Users would need to supply their subscription code somewhere in the JRiver settings.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Revisit TVDB Support? Re: "Big Changes Coming to TheTVDB"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:09:11 pm »

That is sounding a bit more reasonable, although it is over the US$10 I indicated I would pay earlier. It sounds like JRiver weren't the only company to push back on their new pricing model.

The "earn a free subscription" makes way more sense. After all, users maintain the data anyway.

(I'm actually just posting so I can follow the thread.  ;D)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 04:14:08 am »

I do miss TheTVDB support. Not sure how difficult this would be to implement on JRiver's end, but I would pay the subscription if available.

greynolds

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 06:27:57 am »

I do miss TheTVDB support. Not sure how difficult this would be to implement on JRiver's end, but I would pay the subscription if available.
I would hope it would be relatively simple to support given that they previously had support for it.  If they add the user subscription version back in, I'll definitely pay the annual fee to TheTVDB for it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 01:00:39 pm »

+1

TMDB does seem to "catch up" eventually but often has gaps for newly released episodes. For example, it often doesn't have any details at all on newly released seasons of many of my daughter's cartoons for a couple months after a new season starts.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: Revisit TheTVDB Support? Re: "Big Changes Coming to TheTVDB"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 01:49:54 pm »

If you want a blunt answer:
Paying them only validates the decision they took.
Build up via OSS and free use and then sell out.....

IMHO, they should be ignored totally, and like plenty of services before them that took similar moves they'll wither and die.

If you want to contribute, do so to TMDB.

greynolds

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:39 pm »

If you want a blunt answer:
Paying them only validates the decision they took.
Build up via OSS and free use and then sell out.....

IMHO, they should be ignored totally, and like plenty of services before them that took similar moves they'll wither and die.

If you want to contribute, do so to TMDB.
Well, I personally see value in the service TheTVDB provides and am willing to pay $1 a month for it.  Hosting a data service of this sort isn't cheap.  There are 3 choices in their new plan - the software company that makes use of their service can work out an arrangement, users can pay their own way, or individuals can contribute data and get free access.  If you don't like any of those options, you also have the option of passing altogether.  If JRiver adds it back in and gives users the option of putting their license code in, those who don't want to give TheTVDB anything have the option of not doing so.

I guess I should also flip Google the middle finger because they're going to stop giving me unlimited photo storage for free...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 04:02:41 pm »

We will look at it.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »

Whilst this is heading somewhat off-topic, Google is a completely different kettle of fish.
Google is (and always has) been a commercial service, with no user created content. They don't rely on the community (for example) to curate their search results.

On the other hand, TheTVDB started off life as a community project for the (as then was) XBMC many years ago.
It's entire dataset has been added by volunteers over the years.
The original owners of TheTVDB then chose to sell out to private equity, who have in turn landed us with the current situation in the quest to make a quick buck.
If you seriously think they aren't going to be making a killing from this, think again.

It very much gets my goat (as an open-source developer myself; My username on GitHub if you really want to find me) to see free community projects going down this road.
Monetization, developer time, hosting costs etc. are *always* a problem (I probably spend £200 or so out of my own pocket every year), but this is not the solution.

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 04:11:44 pm »

macdonjh

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 04:48:03 pm »

Glad I stopped to read the whole thread, I was going to suggest approaching TheTVDB with a program similar to the subscriber service.  I partially agree with leezer3, though, the subscription price has to be very low since TheTVDB doesn't indicate they will begin to curate their own material and add content themselves.  I am ready to help pay to cost to host the site, but not to pay more for services not rendered.

I just upgraded to MC27 to get TMDb support.  At least for the two old shows I just added to my library, their information is a step down from what I used to get from TheTVDB (notably in [series] and [episode] cover art).  I am glad JRiver offers it, though.  Sure beats having to go get the information myself and type it in.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 07:28:45 pm »

I would hope it would be relatively simple to support given that they previously had support for it.  If they add the user subscription version back in, I'll definitely pay the annual fee to TheTVDB for it.
+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up