INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way to transfer library to another PC with different base path?  (Read 409 times)

smjepsen

• Recent member
Way to transfer library to another PC with different base path?
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »

Hi All,

Is there a way to transfer a library saved on one computer, say "computer A", to another computer, "computer B", having a different base path--but same relative path--to audio files? For example, audio files are inside base folder D:\music on computer A and C:\jim\stuff\music on computer B? I wasn't able to get this to work. I tried saving the library to a zip file on computer A and then doing a "restore library" on computer B, but that didn't work. I was thinking there might be options for relative path and absolute path somewhere, but I couldn't find that if it exists. I am using Media Center version 23.0.84.

Thanks,
Steve

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Way to transfer library to another PC with different base path?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 02:54:39 pm »

Sure.  The best way is basically:

1. On old PC, turn the "fix broken links" option in auto-import OFF, and DISABLE auto import.  Then make a library backup.
2. Copy all the audio files to the new pc in their new location
3. Copy the library backup file over to the new PC
4. Do a library restore on the new pc using the library backup file.
5. Use RMCF to fix the paths.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Specifically, the option you will want to use is "Update database to point to new location". It's in the dropdown at the top of the dialog.
I would just use the "Find and Replace" functionality (turning off the Directories and Filename options) to replace the old base path with the new base path. The preview on the right will show you what will happen, before you commit.

When you look at MC after step 4, you will see all your files in your views, but they will show as broken links.  Then you fix the paths with RMCF, and the links will no longer be broken, if you did it correctly.

Step 1 is very important. Don't use an old library backup if you had auto-import and fix broken links turned on. If you fail to heed this warning, after you restore the library backup, MC will see that the files are missing from where it remembers them, and promptly delete them from your library, which will also destroy all your playlists. There will be tears. You'll have to start over. 

Hope this helps...

smjepsen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:04:13 pm »

Wer,

Thank you, that worked nicely. I've been wanting to do that for a long time.

On the computer the library was being transferred to, I did the following:

(1) Selected all files in the library (which now had broken links)

(2) Went to Tools -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files... (RMCF)

(3) On left side of RMCF window, unchecked boxes "Directories" and "Filename"

(4) On left side of RMCF window, checked box "Find & Replace". In box "Find What:", entered "D:\music\" (without quotes). In box "Replace With:", entered "C:\jim\stuff\music\". The wording of these entries are just examples based on my initial post. This updated what I referred to as "base paths" in my initial post.

(5) For some reason the cover art was not being displayed for only one album (out of hundreds). To fix this, I right clicked that album then selected Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).   

Thanks again,
Steve

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »

Good, glad you're all sorted out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up