INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to add new genre value to data base  (Read 690 times)

rolandas2012

• Recent member
to add new genre value to data base
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:01:16 am »

new genre values are not added to database-   when I write new genre it does not appear in the list of genres.  therefore I can not choose it for the tagging .  I need to write the name of genre every time as new

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: to add new genre value to data base
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:02 am »

If you are using MC in a Client/Server set-up then you have to add those New Genre's on the Server and not the Client for them to "Stick"!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:12:27 am »

thanks for answering. I am sorry I am new user for JRiver , could you explain in detail  how to do this ?   step  by step

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 07:43:13 am »

Describe your setup.  Multiple machines?

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:13:32 am »

Hi,  no. I am using MC on one PC with windows
So how to add  New Genre's on the Server   in order to see them in genre list

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 09:10:40 am »

There is no server in your case.

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:15:21 am »

Does it mean I can not add new Genre to the list?
But I can see  some  non standard  genres in the list-  thy are from  my music files. Maybe I can add new genres with other program ( mp3tag for example) and then  these genres will appear in the list ?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:21:53 am »

I just added a new genre (test) for an existing track, then went to another track and looked at the genre list. The new genre (test) was there. I went back and changed the genre for the original track back to its original value. The new test genre no longer appears in the list. So, adding a new genre works on my system. Not sure why it does not on yours, but it generally works as you would suspect.  I am on version .28.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 09:43:54 am »

Either something is preventing MC from writing those New Genres to it's Database and the Tracks or you are trying to add those New Genres in a way that MC does not understand.

The only way of adding new values to the database "Genres List" is to add it by editing the Genre Tag for the 1st track that needs that new genre.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 10:11:10 am »

This is not related to rolandas2012's issue, but I didn't want to just let it slide by...

If you are using MC in a Client/Server set-up then you have to add those New Genre's on the Server and not the Client for them to "Stick"!

This is not correct. You can tag files from client copies of MC, you just have to enable Authentication on the Server.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 10:21:02 am »

To :  dtc
MC Beta Team
Citizen of the Universe

How you added new genre ?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 10:42:51 am »

I selected a track and changed the genre for that track in the tagging window.  I would do that and then select another track and then go back to the original track to see that the new genre still shows. If it does, it should be added to the genre list when you try to change the genre for another track.

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 10:53:35 am »

I did the same,  and the genre has been changed for that track but it does not appear in genre list when I try to find it and select for another track

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »

to:    glynor
MC Beta Team
Citizen of the Universe

you wrote:
This is not correct. You can tag files from client copies of MC, you just have to enable Authentication on the Server."

could you explain how to enable Authentication on the Server ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 01:16:04 pm »

could you explain how to enable Authentication on the Server ?

If you are using a single PC with MC installed on it (and no other computers running MC), as you said above, then this is irrelevant to your issue.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 01:19:32 pm »

I did the same,  and the genre has been changed for that track but it does not appear in genre list when I try to find it and select for another track

I realize this might be difficult, but can you take a screenshot of where you're trying to apply the Genre and post it as an attachment here?

If you're doing it in the Tag Action Window, then the newly added Genre should be there in the drop-down list to select, once added to any file in the View.

If you're doing it in the View's Category Panes, then it might not be. The panes generally only show Genres available in the current filtered list of files. So if the other Pane selections filter out the file where you applied the new Genre successfully, then it will not be not available in the Genre Pane, because that's how Category Panes work. However, in this case, you should be able to tick the checkbox for New Genre at the bottom of the list and then choose it from the drop-down in the dialog that appears.

If you want to change the way the Genre Pane behaves (so that it always shows all available Genres for tagging), you can, but we should make sure that's what's actually happening to you first.

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 02:45:14 pm »

please find enclosed screen shot for Genres entering

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »

Thanks. That helps explain things.

You're working within the Drives & Devices section of Media Center. This allows you to view files as they are on disk, but if you have it set to All Files mode, it shows files whether they've been imported or not. You're not having luck adding Genres because when you added the first one you were working on a file (or files) that had not been Imported into the Media Center Library. Neither is that other one you have selected in the screenshot, for what it's worth.

In order to see the files in all of the Views of Media Center, access the files in your Views, add them to Playlists, and generally use them within Media Center you need to Import your files first:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

The Drives & Devices part of the tree, if set to All Files Mode (as you have it in your screenshot) will let you see and work on all files on disk, even those that haven't been imported. However, any changes you make there on non-imported files won't impact the Media Center Library (database) and will only be saved to that file's tags itself (and then only if the file in question supports tagging). It won't change the drop-down options available elsewhere unless the files are Imported and in the Library. You won't even be able to see those files anywhere else in Media Center (anywhere under Audio in the Tree, for example).

You can Import files right from within the Drives & Devices View you're working within, if you want, by selecting the files on the right and clicking the Import into Library button. However, you'd probably be better off importing your entire set of media files in one fell swoop using Auto-Import: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

rolandas2012

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 03:07:44 am »

I got it.  Thanks a lot !   And  thanks for your time  ;)
good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up