INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Analyzer  (Read 543 times)

Soundwave

• Recent member
New Analyzer
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:38:40 pm »

I'm looking at the new analyzer and I'm a bit confused. Peak values for music are 0.1dB (also corroborated by the Peak Values percentage on the bottom left of the window, showing 100% at times). But the analyzer (even with the setting to process independent of internal volume), never has values breaching -10dB RMS on either channel according to the triple readout on the top of the screen.

I have flatline-overflows enabled instead of clipping protection as well if that matters.

As for the update to the analyzer, in terms of performance, this is MUCH better than what we had(feels ideal to me from a performance aspect). High Resolution functions without lag, and the normal resolution is also running great with no stuttering. The only problem is, normal resolution looks more proper. Large swings that fall in line with other Analyzers (like if there is a repeating beat that contributes split second bursts of 30dB swings, you can see it happening, while on high resolution, the timing is fine now as opposed to the prior version, the only issue is, there is no visual impact that correlates to the sound, seemingly because it doesn't seem High Resolution is properly allowing for fast enough visual fall-off the of lines).

The vertical scaling seems to be changing, high resolution provides I guess more deeper of a dB scale (meaning it will pick up on lower level signal, and that's it), but without proper numbers on the side to know with a quick glace what those levels are.. it looks uninformative as a result.

There is also the issue of frequencies displayed(20Hz to 20Khz tested at fullscreen 1080p resolution). It goes by 10's in the double digits until 70 for some reason, then by 100's in the triple digits. Except for some reason 500Hz is missing. And just in general, the spacing doesn't make sense to me personally.

Btw, is this an FFT representation, or bandpass?

I'm not looking for anything super accurate, or to use the analyzer to diagnose anything with respect to DSP or whatnot. Ideally I'd like for it to simply at least look like something that would be nice to leave running full screen for a nice visual backdrop that correlates to the sound being output.

I guess I have that with Normal Resolution, and was wondering if perhaps a "double click to fullscreen" or the option of having only the analyzer (without the DSP window itself) is possible to implement as one of the default "Visualizations" options possible? I like how simple and how well it runs compared to the others that are overwhelming and sort of weird.

Soundwave

• Recent member
Re: New Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:06:43 am »

Well this is weird. I wake up to see a few of my prior posts in other topics, are now their own topics. Did I do something wrong  ?

I hit Reply while in the thread I am im.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:17:27 pm »

Sometimes posts get split to a new thread if they wander off topic.  You're not in the doghouse.  It gets pretty crowded there sometimes.

Soundwave

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:55 pm »

Thank you for letting me know Jim. I thought I was suffering amnesia or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up