INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selective volume control  (Read 824 times)

new2hifi

• Recent member
Selective volume control
« on: February 04, 2021, 10:25:16 pm »

Hi:

On playback, I wish to decrease peak/max volume for 44.1kHz/48kHz files by 3dB. How can I accomplish it? I don't wish the volume to be changed for either DSD or files with higher sampling rate than 48kHz.

Thanks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Selective volume control
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:46:49 pm »

Your wording is a bit ambiguous as to what you want, whether it is a volume reduction, or dynamic range compression.

But the methodology to do either is the same.

Create 2 zones, one for regular playback, and one for volume modified.
In the volume modified zone, use DSP Studio to make the adjustments you want, such as using Parametric EQ to reduce volume. You could also use a VST plugin in the zone to make some other change.  The separate zones can have totally different settings for audio processing, whatever you want.  Gooogle "jriver zones" if. You don't know about zones.

Then use ZoneSwitch to automatically route audio to the appropriate zone based on metadata, such as Sample Rate.
Learn about ZoneSwitch here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

I can't imagine why you would want to do this, since MC volume leveling works regardless of sample rate, but suit yourself and have fun with it.

I hope this helps...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 08:01:35 am »

You cannot change the volume of a DSD unless you convert it to PCM. If you are bitstreaming it, then MC cannot change the volume.

Zoneswitch will work, but not in playlists. So, if you are using playlist with mixed sample rates, you might be better off using volume leveling.

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:49:34 am »

Your wording is a bit ambiguous as to what you want, whether it is a volume reduction, or dynamic range compression.....

You are right, I should have been more descriptive. Here is the situation.

I have many CDs that have digital clipping or reaches 0dBFS. Then I also read about clipping due to inter sample peaks. Thus, I wished a solution where I can selectively normalize the volume to -3.5dB. I hope this is the correct way of minimizing the harm that is already hard coded into the files.

That said, I was able to make zone and test zone switching. Within the DSP, I see that there is no priority that which thing should be applied first? For example, I'll like to reduce the volume by -3.5dB and then normalize the peaks. To what level the peaks are normalized in J River DSP? In Sound Forge Pro I can choose the level (0dB, -2dB...etc) for peak level normalize.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 09:36:37 am »

One method is to go to Tools > Options > Audio > Volume and set Maximum Volume to 93% which is the same as -3.5 dB. You can use this for a CD playback Zone.

Another method is to go to DSP Studio and turn on Adaptive Volume (Peak Level Normalize). If you have used Analyze Audio, then JRiver already knows the oversampled peaks and will automatically reduce playback volume enough to prevent clipping due to intersample peaks.

Here is the original thread on Adaptive Volume:  NEW:  Adaptive Volume

wer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 12:52:43 pm »

Take a look at Adaptive Volume as mojave suggests, but personally I don't favor that.  I don't like the volume being adjusted on a playlist-by-playlist basis and would rather have it consistent, which is just what normal volume leveling does alone.

I don't think peak level normalization is desirable unless you specifically want to achieve that effect.

If you're just wanting to avoid clipping due to inter-sample peaks, the easiest way to do that is just to reduce the MC volume control to -3db, or to apply a -3db volume adjustment in parametric eq, and then let Volume Leveling do it's thing.  That's what I do.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 03:21:53 pm »

By the way, Adaptive Volume - Peak Level Normalize always applies a 1 dB lower level than the highest R128 peak level. For example if the highest level in a playlist is +.7 dB, then Adaptive Volume will apply a -1.7 dB adjustment to just that song. It will also raise lower levels to within 1 dB of peak levels. If you use Volume Leveling in conjunction with Adaptive Volume then it works exactly the same as Volume Leveling in that it levels the volume for the entire playlist.

Take a look at Adaptive Volume as mojave suggests, but personally I don't favor that.  I don't like the volume being adjusted on a playlist-by-playlist basis and would rather have it consistent, which is just what normal volume leveling does alone.
I just tested with several playlists. Normal volume leveling is not consistent among playlists. It uses the highest volume adjustment necessary for all songs in that playlist and applies it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up