INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Entries after Converting Files  (Read 924 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Playlist Entries after Converting Files
« on: April 09, 2003, 09:14:10 pm »

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to use Media Center to convert all my ape's to mp3's (for no particular reason really), but like an idiot, I neglected to uncheck the "Update Library" option, so now I have bajillion duplicate entries; and also to my dismay, ALL my playlists got updated to point to mp3's.

Long story short:  I am about to delete all the newly created mp3 entries in the library, but that is going to invalidate every one of my playlists now that they are pointing to these mp3's.

Is there an easy way to make all my playlist entries point back to their original ape entries?

I know I could export the playlist, do a global find and replace, and the import it back, but unless I just don't know the trick to it, there seems to be no way to maintain my current grouping hierarchy (which is quite extensive I might add).

Omni

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playlist Entries after Converting Files
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 06:22:30 am »

I don't have a good answer.

If it happened to me, I might try backing up the jmd files in the MC program /data directory, and then editing the playlist file.  It's playlists.jmd, I think.  

Don't do anything except replace mp3 with ape.  Changing the length of any entry will probably corrupt the file.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 08:24:23 am »

You could use MC's auto smartlist for possible duplicates, then sort by name so all the duplicates are next to each other, open up the File Properties box, and go to the Playlists tab, then just scroll through, one by one and uncheck the playlists for the MP3's and check the correct ones for the APE's.

But it may be easier to do what Jim said. Depending on how many files we're talking about...

Omni

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 02:07:13 pm »

Well, the only file I can find is playlistx.jmd, and it doesn't contain the actual media entries, only the playlist names and groups.

As far as checking each song one by one, that's not a bad idea.  Unfortunately, the total number of entries I would have to update is of the range that makes it hard to determine if it would take less time just to recreate the playlists from scratch.

Anyway, I guess I'll just export all the playlists, update them, rename the .m3u file (so I don't get duplicate playlist names), and import them back.  After that point, it is just a matter of dragging and dropping within the Media Library "Playlists" tree.  Actually, I just tested this, and it looks like it might work out pretty well.

Thanks for the responses!

Omni
Pages: [1]   Go Up