INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use MC as a DLNA Player from files on NAS  (Read 977 times)

splodge8007

How to use MC as a DLNA Player from files on NAS
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:33:37 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up media centre to play files from my NAS (some Synology model) using DLNA.

From huning around the instructions and forum I've...

* Enabled Media Network to enable DLNA
* Disabled DLNA Server (I only want to play files, not serve them)
* Checked that DLNA Renderer and DLNA controller

My NAS does not appear in the PLaying Now library list (even after several minutes and restarting media centre)

I just tried VLC and it can see the NAS server immediately, and I've been playing files from it, no bother, so the porblem seems to be with MC.

Any help appreciated - I'm stuck!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to use MC as a DLNA Player from files on NAS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:36:00 am »

Firewall?
52100 to 52200 and 1900 should be open.

No need to turn off the server.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:25:04 pm »

If you are just trying to play files off the NAS through MC on your workstation then you do not need DLNA. DLNA is what MC would use to play the stored files to a network connected DLNA renderer. In this case the NAS would be the DLNA server.

What VLC is doing is simply seeing the file system on the NAS and playing the file, and MC will be able to do the same.

Have you set the library up in MC and can MC see the NAS file system?

splodge8007

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:57 am »

Thanks for the suggeststions:

* For opening ports - where do I need to do this? in MC?

I ask because I can access the DLNA server - as well as VLC (I checked and I'm using the uPnP to access the server, which should be using DLNA) I also used the DLNA plugin for Foobar2000 - which immediately saw the server and allowed me to play files (but the interface for this is terrible)

Manually adding the network path to the audio files folder to MC worked, and MC can access and play them. (Donig that now 😀)

However, I've found before that for video DLNA worked better than accessing the files directly (I'm not sure why, my theory is that when accessing a files for e.g. copy/general read, if there is a break in access it doesn't really matter, but for streaming it is essential not to drop out, so the server treats them differently) So, for my own interest I'd still like to know how to get MC to see the DLNA server - I've at least 1 other (and probably 2) programs on the computer that can see it with minimal set up. (Also I don't like to give up on things)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 05:07:15 am »

It sounds like you are running a UPNP Media Server on your NAS. And trying to access its library from MC. Is that correct?

If so, your problem is likely that your other Control Point software (FooBar etc) is browsing the library using CDS:Browse. Unfortunately that won’t work with MC because it uses CDS:Search.

The solution is probably to forget about the Media Server on the NAS (turn it off), and instead have MC access the media files directly via a shared file folder on the NAS.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

splodge8007

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 08:57:55 am »

Hi

Thanks for the info on why it's probably not working. I've been happily streaming all morning by just accesing the folder on the network, so will continue to do that. I'll probably give up on the DLNA side - I'd rather spend my time listening to music than configuring networks, servers, etc. etc.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up