INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Netflix Navigation  (Read 21868 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
NEW: Netflix Navigation
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:08:37 am »

-------------- Edit by JimH on June 18th -------------

Description

You can now use any compatible remote control device to browse Netflix and control video playback, just as if the content was on your local machine.

You can play "protected" Netflix content, since the new method uses the new Microsoft Edge browser engine. Video playback happens through the browser, up to 4K with 5.1 audio.

Series and episodes work as expected.

Set up and you use JRiver's WDM driver, so that volume control and DSP happen in JRiver.

In all, it's a smooth experience now and we will continue to improve it. 

Windows only.
-------------- End Edit -------------

-------------- Begin Hendrik's announcement from April -------------

In the latest build for MC28, we released a preview of a feature we've been working on, integrating the Netflix website into Theater View.

We have worked on improving the web browser integration into Media Center and Theater View, which now gives us a fullscreen browser with DRM video playback capabilities.

Using all that, we are working on scripts to augment the Netflix website to be able to navigate it with keyboard/remote control input.

Here is the first preview of this functionality. Some areas of the Netflix website cannot be navigated yet properly, and more shortcuts for accessing various Netflix functionality will still need to be added.

Netflix still runs in a web browser. Video and Audio is being handled by the web browser. If you want to route audio through Media Center, the WDM driver can handle that task.

Instructions

- Open Theater View configuration, and add the new "Netflix" entry to the navigation
- In Theater View, open Netflix and log-in to your account using keyboard/mouse
- When in the main Netflix navigation, keyboard arrow navigation should be available
- You can get back to Theater View using the Backspace or "Back" keys

Set up JRiver's WDM driver, so that volume control and DSP happen in JRiver.

Navigation may not cover all elements yet, but we'll expand.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stewart_pk

Re: Netflix Navigation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »

Does it have 4K and 5.1 surround sound like the Windows 10 app?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:37:26 am »

Does it have 4K and 5.1 surround sound like the Windows 10 app?
We should be able to support that.

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 05:08:52 pm »

We should be able to support that.

Unfortunately you probably won't.

This has been discussed at.... mhmm.. "other" less bright places. Netflix and other streaming services do not give you 4K quality in browsers due to piracy concerns (simply the links do not come up internally). At best we can get is 1080p. Disney+ is even worse in this regard since it further restricts to 720p.

Any chance you guys can get a deal directly from Netflix?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:00:24 pm »

Unfortunately you probably won't.

This has been discussed at.... mhmm.. "other" less bright places. Netflix and other streaming services do not give you 4K quality in browsers due to piracy concerns (simply the links do not come up internally). At best we can get is 1080p. Disney+ is even worse in this regard since it further restricts to 720p.

Any chance you guys can get a deal directly from Netflix?
We think that the Microsoft Edge browser is different.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:08:11 pm »

UHD/HDR is working for me (on at least some titles anyway).  When playing, press Crtl+ALT+Shift+D to see the details as per the pic below.
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:06:31 pm »

Yes, it does facilitate 4K Disney+

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 02:44:58 am »

Really?

*Checks Netflix 4K requirement*

Indeed they seem to lighten the requirement for 4K. No more HDCP 2.2 requirement or Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU only? That is actually great to hear.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 08:51:35 am »

If you already invest into streaming, why not to think about re-routing audio/video via JRiver?

This WDM thing while mostly works, in reality not so practical if you have multiple sources like, say, Spotify, TuneIn, and Netflix. And JRiver.

Audio I would prefer wire directly to Dirac virtual sound device

But IF I already launched JRiver, I want to play the content without bothering what is my current output device.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:10:58 am »

If you already invest into streaming, why not to think about re-routing audio/video via JRiver?

Because you get no access to such things.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:31:39 am »

Because you get no access to such things.

You can't hook audio/video on the chromium/edge level?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:20 am »

Of course not, that would defeat the entire purpose of DRM.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manfred

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 03:22:05 pm »

Usually if I watch Netflix I reroute audio from my TV via optical to my rme HDSPe AIO pro card. What functionally works is to use MC Open Live to get the audio in MC, apply DSP and output it via USB. But I had latency and lipsync problems. I found it had to many problems and route the audio directly through the rme card via AES to my Devialet. MC has issues to use the rme card also as output (multi client driver). I don't got it working. 
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

ryudoadema

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 12:38:31 pm »

I assume we will not be able to use madvr (tonemapping specifically) or any of the audio/video processing in JRiver with netflix through this route? It is just to strictly browse and view in a more convenient way?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 03:09:59 pm »

I assume we will not be able to use madvr (tonemapping specifically) or any of the audio/video processing in JRiver with netflix through this route? It is just to strictly browse and view in a more convenient way?
Correct. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 12:14:47 pm »

With the WDM driver, you can however route the audio through MC. You just need to limit the amount of processing you do to avoid creating sync problems with the video.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Netflix Navigation
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2021, 08:34:02 pm »

Wow I just tried this for the first time and in 5 minutes I have all my MCE remote commands working and DD 5.1 sound this is amazing!!!
Couldn’t get play/pause working with the windows 10 Netflix app…Issue resolved with this!!
Well done thx!!

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2021, 08:35:05 pm »

And I’m not using the WDM driver either.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 09:24:23 pm »

Any chance to get Amazon prime and Disney +. Working?

I’d love to have these 2 in theatre view and get remote functionality + DD5.1 for these 2 as well.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 03:55:00 am »

Not in the short term, mapping a website to remote control is quite some work, and influencing the playback quality is not guaranteed to even be possible.

We hold the options open for further popular services in the future!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CZ Eddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 08:38:28 pm »

I see that MadVR is supposedly not working for the Netflix integration.

But Jmone's screenshot seems to show MadVR?
That looks like the MadVR details on the left side of the screenshot.  Is it not a screenshot of Netflix?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=129325.0;attach=37946;image

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 01:28:58 am »

Thats Netflix debug screen, Ctrl-Shift-Alt-D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 03:33:29 am »

Really?

*Checks Netflix 4K requirement*

Indeed they seem to lighten the requirement for 4K. No more HDCP 2.2 requirement or Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU only? That is actually great to hear.

"seem to" are the operating words in that sentence. They just no longer list the complete software and hardware requirements.
4K playback certainly does not work on my i7-5820k with GTX 960 in either Edge Chromium or the Netflix 4K app. The two 4K monitors support HDCP 2.2 . The third monitor (HD) does not. Even with just 1 monitor that's HDCP 2.2, and the other 2 disabled, it still doesn't work.

Interestingly, in my home theater with AMD Ryzen 2700 CPU and GTX 1050Ti, 4K does play in the Netflix app, as long as Windows is not in HDR mode. If I turn on HDR (so-called "Windows HD color"), then the app can only play titles in HD only. Not sure what the magic combo is that can properly play 4K HDR. I didn't try in Edge Chromium. DRM sure is a PITA.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 06:13:00 pm »

I noticed Video and audio is out of sync when using the WDM driver. I must adjust this in settings by going back and forth which can be quite annoying during setup. Is there any development in the pipeline that will improve the WDM latency?
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 01:30:01 am »

The WDM latency depends on your DSP settings. Because its playing a "live" signal, any DSP you have setup to do will add latency. Most notable offenders are typically resampling.
Generally the best idea is to setup a zone for WDM playback that does no processing, including no resampling, because its the only way to get close to zero latency. If you need a specific sampling rate, you can set it in the Windows WDM settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

spalmgre

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 03:28:32 am »

With the WDM driver, you can however route the audio through MC.

I say that it is possible but not stable or usable. Ihave used hours on trying to get it workin. On several Windows 10 Pc. With +30 years as a software developer one would think  that I can do it but no.

So why not take a good advise and seek for an other solution.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 06:03:47 am »

I say that it is possible but not stable or usable. Ihave used hours on trying to get it workin. On several Windows 10 Pc. With +30 years as a software developer one would think  that I can do it but no.

So why not take a good advise and seek for an other solution.

And yet myself and many users use it quite successfully on a daily basis to watch Netflix and many other streaming sources - and have for years, too.
If you have specific problems, feel free to open a thread and seek help.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 06:42:46 am »

Can we we please fix an annoying bug where Netflix will stop playing when a TV recording starts or stops in the background with the TV engine.
Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 07:02:41 am »

Can we we please fix an annoying bug where Netflix will stop playing when a TV recording starts or stops in the background with the TV engine.
Thank you
I've also seen this in the last build or two (at least).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:53 am »

Thank you

This issue should hopefully be resolved in the next build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2021, 01:34:53 pm »

The WDM latency depends on your DSP settings. Because its playing a "live" signal, any DSP you have setup to do will add latency. Most notable offenders are typically resampling.
Generally the best idea is to setup a zone for WDM playback that does no processing, including no resampling, because its the only way to get close to zero latency. If you need a specific sampling rate, you can set it in the Windows WDM settings.
I just checked and I have no DSP setup. For now, I will setup a zone for WDM playback.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

whph

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 07:16:13 am »

I think it is important to mention the audio setup you use.
I'm not 100% sure but from what I know 4K, DoVi (or HDR) and 5.1 DD+ does only work when using HDMI with correct EDID and bitstreaming audio through it (because of DRM).
E.g. if you use an audio interface for audio routing there is not any chance to get 5.1 DD+.

When it comes to WDM I use a virtual audio driver to get low latency and high-quality resampling. By using the virtual WDM I can route audio through a VST Host as DSP and the VST Host does route audio via ASIO to the audio interface.
With this setup I get about 10-20ms latency (depending on the filters, mainly Dirac for me) which is adequate for Streaming. But as mentioned before this does only work in Stereo for Netflix and most probably for all other main Streaming platforms, too.
As I don't use the JRiver WDM I cannot judge about that, but it should work in similar fashion.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 07:59:17 am »

I can get 5.1 through JRiver WDM. Obviously its only decoded audio since we can't bistream through it, but it works - at least for the integrated Netflix, for which we have some compatibility improvements.

When connected to my AVR, Netflix in MC will bitstream DD+, including Atmos. Its pretty cool.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whph

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 08:13:18 am »

I can get 5.1 through JRiver WDM. Obviously its only decoded audio since we can't bistream through it, but it works - at least for the integrated Netflix, for which we have some compatibility improvements.

HOW?  :o
My WDM is configured as 7.1 but I only get 5.1 with the official Netflix App. Within Edge or JRiver I don't get any option to switch to 5.1.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 11:03:36 am »

I'm bypassing JRiver's audio engine and I get DD5.1 sound with Netflix in MC Theater mode. Same set-up I use to get DD5.1 bitstreaming for my TV Capture cards and Video playback in general...  I don't know how that works for Netflix in MC but it does!!

Which is indeed a mystery as no browsers including edge allow me to get 5.1 DD bitstreaming to my receiver directly.  Only Netflix in MC Theatre view and the W10 Netflix app.

whph

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2021, 03:44:07 pm »

Ok, now I get 5.1 DD+ decoded.
The problem was the 7.1 config within the WDM driver.
As soon as I set the config to 5.1, DD+ in Netflix does work.  ;D

thx

cvdspuy

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 02:34:55 am »

Hi Hendrik,
I have had JRiver like forever, and just upgraded to Ver28 and excitedly just read that I can play Netflix noe via JRiver.
I am old school, and have never really understood the nesting / navigation options in theatre view.
To add the Netflix to navigation and I am not succeeding. Is it possible for you to write up instructions in a "for dummies" format I would really appreciate it.
Kindest regards,
Charlie

agzorig

• Recent member
  • Lord, grant me the patience... RIGHT NOW!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2021, 06:59:16 pm »

Hi Hendrik,
I have had JRiver like forever, and just upgraded to Ver28 and excitedly just read that I can play Netflix noe via JRiver.
I am old school, and have never really understood the nesting / navigation options in theatre view.
To add the Netflix to navigation and I am not succeeding. Is it possible for you to write up instructions in a "for dummies" format I would really appreciate it.
Kindest regards,
Charlie

Go to TOOLS | OPTIONS | THEATER VIEW | ADD | Netflix
Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2  Build 22000.466 64-bit | SMSL AD18 AMP | SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKⅡ DAC | Wharfedale 210 Bookshelf Speakers | JRiver Media Center 28.0.100 
Raspberry Pi OS 10 Buster arm64 (Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB) | Innomaker Raspberry Pi HiFi DAC HAT | JRiver Media Center 28.0.100 (arm64)

armyplace

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »

Just added netflix and it just works.. This is awesome!

Any plans to add any other streaming services to JR media player?

Ah nevermind, just re-read the thread and it's something that "may" be implemented later on if at all.

Great work though!

isaccasi1234

• Recent member
  • Enough Is Enough
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2022, 08:12:21 pm »

I know many members report all sorts of problems with Bitdefender.
I have had Bitdefender Total Security for many years now & I have not experienced any issues. :)

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 10:59:59 am »

does it use jrvr?

maid

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 01:01:19 am »

will this work using bitstreaming?
how about adding Stan?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2022, 11:07:23 am »

will this work using bitstreaming?
how about adding Stan?
This is one of the nice things about it yes to support DD5.1

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2022, 12:17:55 pm »

Will you be adding a Core Command to navigate directly to Netflix in Theater View?  I couldn't find one. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2022, 04:26:23 pm »

I'll hook that up tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2022, 03:33:49 pm »

Matt:  Looked for a Core Command on Dev Zone to navigate to new Netflix capability.  Is there a core command yet? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2022, 03:56:14 pm »

In 26.0.60:
NEW: Added SHOW_THEATER_VIEW_MODE_NETFLIX (12) to MCC_THEATER_VIEW.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2023, 04:27:38 pm »

I use a FLIRC USB device for remote control, and so I am reliant on keyboard keystrokes to control Media Center from within Theater View.  What is the key combination to get back to the main Theater View screen from Netflix?  I have tried esc and backspace without luck.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2023, 06:11:28 pm »

In build 73, escape escape gets you to Standard View.

Standard View is also Ctrl-1
Pages: [1]   Go Up