INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Application Volume Always Disabled Edit:After Wake from Sleep  (Read 1356 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen

I have exasound plugin for volume control.  Had not used for a while until recently.

The configuration (that used to work) is: 
     Application volume  enabled / Enable Volume when Bitstreaming  (this is configuration recommended by Exasound)

This configuration no longer works properly and always ends up with the volume control disabled.

If I select internal volume, JRiver's volume control works as expected with the Exasound plugin.  But it is a bit weird, since in this instance, volume is not controlled by JRiver but rather via the DAC's hardware.

I'm wondering if this could be related to the following:

27.0.79 (4/1/2021)

1. Fixed: The system volume would not always work properly due to a recent change.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Application Volume Always Disabled
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 11:07:02 am »

The exaSound volume control plug-in works fine for me in all volume control options except "disabled."
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Application Volume Always Disabled
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:29:52 am »

Thanks for looking at this. 

The fact yours works properly  ....

I restarted JRiver, and with same settings Exasound/volume control is now working as expected.
Before restart, it definitely was not disabled so not sure what caused this, but something did.

When I get chance, I'll do some more testing and see if I can replicate.  Only thing I can think of, is that I used JRemote2, and that was when I first noticed the volume control was not working properly. 

I was about to reconfigure system and listen with DAC connected directly to amp.  For this setup I like to know that DAC's volume control working exactly as expected :)

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen

A little more testing.  I disabled the exasound plug-in (it is still installed).

I see issue consistently after computer sleeps for long interval.

By "long interval", my only test has been overnight. In this case the application volume stops working every time.  It behaves as though it is disabled and the application volume settings have no effect.  The only solution to get application volume to work is restart JRiver.

When application volume stops functioning, each of the other possible volume configurations i.e. internal, or system work as expected.

Interestingly enough, if I sleep and then immediately wake the computer,  the application volume has worked as expected. 

I have not tested with any other intervals except immediate / overnight wake cycles.

The overnight sleep seems to break the volume setting each time.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

DJLegba

Re: Application Volume Always Disabled Edit:After Wake from Sleep
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 09:09:13 am »

My NUC doesn't have a sound device other than the exasound. Windows reports "No input devices found" in sound settings. The exasound volume plugin used to work, but it hasn't now for a very long time, through several versions of MC and the plugin itself. I have an idea that either MC or the plugin needs to see a Windows sound device. Perhaps when your PC wakes from sleep your Windows sound device isn't online when the MC/plugin combo checks the system.

I'm happy disabling volume control in MC and using the exasound's remote, so I haven't put a lot of effort into troubleshooting.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:20:05 am »

I disabled the exasound plug-in, so I don't think that has anything to do with this. 

It seems to solely be an issue with application volume configuration and the sleep / wake cycle.

When the computer wakes, the application volume will not work correctly until JRiver is closed/restarted.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 03:13:17 pm »

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue. 

Any suggestions as to troubleshooting? 

I have JRiver installed on two machines.  It happens on each of them.

Select Application volume for the zone
Enable volume when bitstreaming

Put machine to sleep.  Let sit for a couple of minutes.

Wake up machine

The volume control looks ok.  If you click on the control it is disabled and cannot be modified until JRiver is restarted.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 07:27:31 pm »

I have a similar problem at home, using HDMI from the PC to the receiver.  I think it's HDMI related.

I use Internal Volume and it's often silent when I haven't used the maching for a few hours.

To fix it, I can just switch to Application Volume.  I can switch back or not, but it still works.  I don't think it's our problem but we might be able to find a workaround.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 09:53:31 pm »

I am not using the HDMI for audio, but interesting you mentioned, since I had just noticed the issue without PC going to sleep.  I was suspicious HDMI could be involved.

So what I do is play music via USB ASIO, but the computer is connected to one of my TV's HDMI ports, and used as the computer's monitor.  After I start music playing,  I'll sometimes switch TV's input to cable box and watch TV while music is playing. 

Tonight after I switched TV back to the computer's input I noticed Windows had put HDMI to sleep. 
Music was playing just fine via USB, but the JRiver's volume control was no longer working.

I'll test sleep / wake cycle on a couple of machines with / without HDMI ports and see if that makes difference.  I think this will rule HDMI in or out as culprit.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:16:37 am »

Completed some testing. 

1) Disconnecting HDMI appears to prevent issue.
2) With HDMI connected,  configuring default audio input to anything other than HDMI seems to prevent issue.  I'm going to leave it like this for a while and see what happens.

I also use RDC with this machine.   Closing RDC always seems to break the volume control functionality - no matter how audio options are configured / connected. 

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 09:01:10 pm »

Revisiting issue.  The one option that always seems to work is the internal volume configuration.
When internal volume is selected this also seems to work correctly with the exasound plugin.

Is there any reason to not use the internal volume as a workaround since it seems to control the DAC correctly?
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 07:17:50 am »

Internal Volume is MC's.  MC sets the volume.  It's fine.

There's a wiki topic on Volume:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 08:47:03 am »

When MC is set to internal volume and I change the volume setting, I would expect the volume to stay static on the DAC hardware.  JRiver is controlling volume in this case.
But that's not what happens.

The exasound plugin seems to override MC's internal volume and changing volume control changes the volume using the DAC hardware. 

So, as far as I can tell JRiver internal volume is being overridden by the exasound plugin integration.   

Is that what is supposed to happen?
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 09:09:16 am »

When MC is set to internal volume and I change the volume setting, I would expect the volume to stay static on the DAC hardware.  JRiver is controlling volume in this case.
But that's not what happens.

The exasound plugin seems to override MC's internal volume and changing volume control changes the volume using the DAC hardware. 

So, as far as I can tell JRiver internal volume is being overridden by the exasound plugin integration.   

Is that what is supposed to happen?

The plugin docs say:
For best results set JRiver to System Volume or Application Volume mode.

You should probably contact exaSound for advice here.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 11:14:58 am »

If MC thinks the plugin should not override MC's internal volume control i.e. the plugin is doing something it should not, then I can ask Exasound about correcting that behavior.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 12:00:38 pm »

Exasound provided nothing new.

@JimH - You mentioned that you might be able to do something about this?

Any chance you can look at it as part of the JRiver 28 cycle?

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up