INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interfacing to external devices  (Read 955 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Interfacing to external devices
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:04:13 pm »

Up to recently I have only used MC to play music. Ripping video discs did not seem viable. With the advent of huge TB hard discs that has changed the picture. I have some Oppo players and 4K wide screen display. I have failed so far to use DLNA to send the video to. No luck with this. So far I have a spare HDMI output from my workstation feeding to an Oppo 205. This does get the picture to the display, but is very awkward to use and the quality does not seem what it should be. Audio output is no problem so far, my CD collection and also the video output can be sent via to both optic and HDMA inputs on my entertainment system.

So, my thought is: take over a HDMI output on our computer for exclusive use of JR MC. So there is the option when ever playing a video it is send to this output. The same as selecting the audio output works now. That works effortlessly now.

Currently now to watch a video my choices are, watch on the computer screen, turn on the entertainment system and then either drag the MC window to the system or disconnect the small display window and drag it over. What is bad with this, when I shut the entertainment system down all these settings are lost.

One other small thing, when playing my music, using the optical output is preferred, for the video to get multichannel the HDMI is require. what about let us set Audio to use one output and Video a different output. Right now when changing from one to the other I have to change the options in the program.

If I could make the DLNA work this probably would not be an issue. Interesting on my smart phone I can listen to music and watch videos. My system is very nice to say the least, so listening to music or watch video on the small screen & micro-speaker on the phone when I have a 78 inch 4K display available, forget that.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Re: Interfacing to external devices
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 10:48:09 pm »

Another way to describe what I am requesting is: make MC appear to a home theater system the same as a Blu-ray player or cable set top box. This would be the simplest way to use MC other than on a PC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 07:19:45 am »

It's very common to connect a PC to a receiver or TV using HDMI.  That's how I watch movies and listen to music.

With MC28, you can rip BD's with MakeMKV from within MC.

Explore the settings under Tools > Options > General > Behavior.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 08:09:07 am »

Under Behavior the only option I see for video playback is "jump on play (video): Display View." Is that what I should be looking at? Right now my receiver acts like an additional monitor connected to the computer.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 09:16:41 am »

Tree & View > Full Screen

You can set your display output to your secondary monitor.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:55:29 am »

When you say you failed to use DLNA what exactly do you mean by that?

MC does not see oppo 205 as renderer? ... check your network settings to make sure MC and oppo are on same network (if you use NAS ... make sure NAS is on same network as oppo)

Playback is choppy? ... use wired connection ... preferably gigabit fot 4k stuff

EDIT: personally ... i prefer hdmi ... so @BryanC advice is best

As for outputting music to optical and movies to hdmi ... use zones for that
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 01:13:42 am »

Thanks to your replies major progress has been made.

Can play movies on my 78" display with out much hassle.

Selecting subtitles are a problem if the setup home screen does not come up. Right clicking on the display shows per the attached 0210624_120442.jpg file.

So far i have ripped about 1300 video discs, both DVD and BlueRay. Have been using RedFox AnyDVD8540 and ripped in the MC application. It appeared to work correct. But was doing some random checking and some will not play and give the error message in Capture_4.jpg file. Any thoughts on this.

Last I do not expect to need DLNA now, but all the equpted devices with DLNA show up on MC. On my display the error is format not supported. Perhaps if I wanted to use this I would have to rip or convert to a different format. In general I do not like to do much converting as the quality usually deteriorates.

Recently I bought a 4K Blu-ray player for my computer only to find out my CPU's do not support it. Just as well, that would take a huge bank HD's for storage. Already I have 12 18TB discs in BJOD's and about full already.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 03:55:06 am »

For subtitles ... use up down keys (can be mapped to remote control) to scroll through menus while movie is playing ... once get to subtitle menu, use left right keys to select what you want (MC will remember your choice and select that sub stream automatically when playing that movie again)

As for that message ... likely copy protection was not removed during ripping process
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:11 pm »

Pardon, I did not explain about the subtitles. The particular title has three different languages available. But no appear on the right list.

Non-playing discs. have done some researching and in the CERTIFICATE folder a file "app.discroot.crt" missing. Dose anyone have ideas of how to restore? Is this file unique to each disc or is possible to copy from another disc. Would appreciate any ideas.

Currently I am using AndyDVD and JRiver MC to rip my discs. Is there a alternative and better way to rip. I am interested.

An observation. I have a little android tablet with your app installed and surprised how well it works. In the markets here in Bangkok I see smart TV using Android system. This makes me think of the possibility of installing MC on smart TV's. If that works it could be much simpler to install and use.

BryanC's recommendation setting the second display works exactly to what I wanted. When this is operation it over rides timing out all the "turn off after". Would it be possible to only keep the one on and allow the  other monitors to turn off. In my situation I have three large monitors close to the display that I would to turn off when watching a movie.

On a totally different subject, in the past I was involved in an extensive music playback system. Some of the innovations implemented I believe would make simple but substantial additions to your program. I tried posting here and got nowhere. I would love to have a discussion with an interested party there and contribute. Perhaps a discussion group or??

It looks like we have a common preference for computers. Have a Supermicro SYS-209U-E1CRT here with some nice goodies. CPU count is 72. At times I see 10% utilization.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 11:15:10 pm »

A bit of a different subject. In the attached photo at the curser pointer is the last used command. If you could change this to the last two used commands you can save a lot of people a lot of time. Most of the time I find my self doing copy and paste operations. This change will save a lot of steps.

Regards, Harroun

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 11:59:15 pm »

A bit of a different subject. In the attached photo at the curser pointer is the last used command. If you could change this to the last two used commands you can save a lot of people a lot of time. Most of the time I find my self doing copy and paste operations. This change will save a lot of steps.

Regards, Harroun

This ability already exists

If you look under Tools >> Options >> Tree & View >> Advanced >> Right Click Recent Command Count - you can have up to 15 recent "right click commands" appear in the list
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 12:07:28 am »

Fantastic. Obviously I am not well acquainted with all the options available. Even if I spent the time to explore all the various options,  considering next year I will be 80. I will never remember very many of them.  Many thanks.

Harroun
Pages: [1]   Go Up