INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing JRiver Media Center 28 on MacOS / OSX  (Read 7990 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Installing JRiver Media Center 28 on MacOS / OSX
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:37 pm »

Special note for Monterey 12.0.x
If MC crashes on start after updating a machine running MC to Monterey.
It appears there is a privacy and security permissions issue change in Monterey (12.0.x) that is solved by re-installing MC after the Monterey update is done.
Go to the Download Page for the stable build or the post at the top of this forum for the latest build.
Download and install it according to the instructions below.

Download and Install
Please download the version that matches your license.  MC28 is on the Download Page.  Older versions are in the Old Versions topic on our wiki.

Double click on the .dmg file to unpack the disk image and show the install window.

Drag Media Center 28 to the Applications shortcut shown in the install window (see the enclosed image).

Close the installer window and eject the Media Center 28 installer disk image (control-click or right click on the installer image and do eject).

Run Media Center 28 from the Applications folder (from the finder menu, Go->Applications and double click on Media Center 28).
If you are asked for accessibility permissions you must accept that (it's how MC deals with retina displays).
If you are asked for screen recording permissions, you need to accept that for MC's user interface to operate properly, MC uses that permission to copy from part of it's window to another part of it's window. It's not used for anything else.

Once MC is running you can control-click or right click on the Media Center 28 icon on the Dock, choose "Options" and select "Keep in Dock".

Converting Data from a previous version
You can back up your library from the File Menu in your older version and restore from the same menu in your new version.  MC will convert the data and settings and use them.  Your files won't be moved or altered.

More
Apple Support for Installing Applications

If you're upgrading, you can leave your older version installed until you're happy with the new one, and then uninstall the old version.

Licensing
The easiest way to enter your license without removing old versions of MC is to copy and paste it from your registration email into MC either at the startup splash screen if asked for it there or via Help->Registration Info when in the program. Using the .mjr with an old version installed may try to run the registration from the old version which is why we recommend the copy and paste method here.

More
Installing and Removing MC on a Mac

lwschwartz

Re: Installing JRiver Media Center 28 on MacOS / OSX
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:14:56 am »

Hi,

I updated my license to version 28 master on May 18.  When I tried installing on May 23, and again today July 9, the system charged me again each time for a license with the charge today being full list price.  I only need the one license and do not need 3 licenses.  There is no place on the site that lets me contact customer support to get help on this issue.  Please let me know where to go and what I should do.  Thanks, lwschwartz  lws@dbao.com

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 10:21:18 am »

Hi,

I updated my license to version 28 master on May 18.  When I tried installing on May 23, and again today July 9, the system charged me again each time for a license with the charge today being full list price.  I only need the one license and do not need 3 licenses.  There is no place on the site that lets me contact customer support to get help on this issue.  Please let me know where to go and what I should do.  Thanks, lwschwartz  lws@dbao.com

You don't need to go through the purchase routine to reinstall.

If you get the dialog that the trial is expired when you open MC you can just choose "Restore License" or "Find License" if you don't have your code.

lwschwartz

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:16:59 pm »

I didn't go through the purchase routine.  I left the last page with the code on it in a tab in my browser.  Each time I opened the browser, the page sent the form again and caused a new charge on my card as if I had bought the program again.  Now that I have learned that, I have closed the tab.  I have used the software for many years and in fact used ICE for my Unix server in the 90's and 2000's.  I had the mri file saved so I could install the new updates.  I just didn't realize that each time I clicked on the tab where I thought I was saving the installation code, it would send   the form again to purchase another license.
I don't need the extra licenses since I only use the software on one machine.  Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 05:45:49 pm »

I didn't go through the purchase routine.  I left the last page with the code on it in a tab in my browser.  Each time I opened the browser, the page sent the form again and caused a new charge on my card as if I had bought the program again.  Now that I have learned that, I have closed the tab.  I have used the software for many years and in fact used ICE for my Unix server in the 90's and 2000's.  I had the mri file saved so I could install the new updates.  I just didn't realize that each time I clicked on the tab where I thought I was saving the installation code, it would send   the form again to purchase another license.
I don't need the extra licenses since I only use the software on one machine.  Thanks.
Oh, thanks for that information. It's odd that it's sending the form again, not sure why that should be.
Cool to see an ICE user, I still use it ;)
We'll get that multiple purchase taken care of.

marcbab

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »

Hello,
Downloaded latest version, install it but does not run. Got a lengthy error message and exit directly. Mac ask if I want to try again and it redo the same the same over and over. Tried a second download, reinstalling and got same error. I join the file with error message. See if you can help me to find what I am doing wrong.
Thank you
Marc

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:21:05 pm »

Hello,
Downloaded latest version, install it but does not run. Got a lengthy error message and exit directly. Mac ask if I want to try again and it redo the same the same over and over. Tried a second download, reinstalling and got same error. I join the file with error message. See if you can help me to find what I am doing wrong.
Thank you
Marc
What are you running on (MacOS version and hardware please)?
Did you drag it into the Applications folder when the disk image was mounted?
When it asked for permission to for accessibility and screen recording did you answer yes?

marcbab

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:00 am »

Hello Bob,

Mac OS X 10.15.7 Catalina (19H1323)
Mac Air Book Version mid 2012.

Did you drag it into the Applications folder when the disk image was mounted? No.
When it asked for permission to for accessibility and screen recording did you answer yes? Do not recall having had that question/request.
Tks again for your help.
Marc

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 09:21:21 am »

Hello Bob,

Mac OS X 10.15.7 Catalina (19H1323)
Mac Air Book Version mid 2012.

Did you drag it into the Applications folder when the disk image was mounted? No.
When it asked for permission to for accessibility and screen recording did you answer yes? Do not recall having had that question/request.
Tks again for your help.
Marc
Hi Marc,

You do need to drag the Media Center 28 into the Applications folder when you open the disk image.
Then you run it from the Applications folder (from the top menu, Go->Applications and double click on Media Center 28)
Once it's running you can control-click or right click on the MC28 icon on the Dock, choose "Options" and select "Keep in Dock".
It will ask you again for those permissions the first time it's run since it's now running from a different place than when you were first asked those questions.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 09:39:17 am »

Added more detail to the install instructions at the top of this thread.

marcbab

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »

Hello Bob,
Tks.
I got it! Now very clear. it worked!
Very happy. Tks for your patience!
Have a good day
marc

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 09:10:31 am »

Download and Install
If you are asked for screen recording permissions, you need to accept that for MC's user interface to operate properly, MC uses that permission to copy from part of it's window to another part of it's window. It's not used for anything else.

I had this unaccepted without any problems. Is this necessary when running the only audio mode? I switched it on only now.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 10:08:45 pm »

I had this unaccepted without any problems. Is this necessary when running the only audio mode? I switched it on only now.
If MC works for you without it on you are free to decline that permission.
IIRC the only functions that use it deal with tagging windows.

Milwaukee Dave

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 02:02:32 am »

Hi
Followed install instructions to the very letter.
New imac - all updates current.
Click JRiver to open get error message that it has closed unexpectedly. No other options listed except try and cry again and same result.

I have had support from an experienced JRiver user but we are done. Any ideas please?

DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 08:02:46 am »

What is the version of your OS?  Requirements are next to the Mac download here: https://jriver.com/download.html

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 10:17:48 am »

Hi
Followed install instructions to the very letter.
New imac - all updates current.
Click JRiver to open get error message that it has closed unexpectedly. No other options listed except try and cry again and same result.

I have had support from an experienced JRiver user but we are done. Any ideas please?

DT

Did you get a system update?
Have you tried re-installing the current version after the system update?

Milwaukee Dave

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 02:21:14 am »

What is the version of your OS?  Requirements are next to the Mac download here: https://jriver.com/download.html

Hi Jim
macOS Monterey version 12.2

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 03:23:38 am »

install one of earlier versions of JR; 96, for example and then the latest one. Keeping 96. Weird things happen.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:03 am »

Assuming you have a backup of your library, if nothing else works, remove all versions of Media Center from your /Applications folder.
Then remove the Settings files.
They are under your home folder in Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 28/Settings
You can show the Library folder in your Finder window by holding down the Option key while selecting GO from the Finder menu. The Library folder will then show up there.
Try removing the Settings folder then reinstalling Media Center 28.
Note that you'll lose your license and library, hence the reason for the backup which you can restore from after MC opens.

If this still doesn't work, remove the entire Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 28 folder using Finder and try again.
If that doesn't work, remove the entire Library/Application Support/J River folder and try again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up