INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opus Cover Art tag changes? Ogg Vorbis also affected  (Read 899 times)

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Opus Cover Art tag changes? Ogg Vorbis also affected
« on: August 06, 2021, 12:40:58 pm »

I am trying to track down an issue I am having with Cover art and flac to opus exports from MC and Poweramp (on my android phone) not seeing the embedded art.

Has there been some change in how MC is embedding art into opus files during conversion from flac? 

When I export a file and look at that file with a pc based tag editor, the embedded art appears to be there. When I examine the file in poweramp on my phone the embedded art does not appear to be in the tag. MC itself also sees the embedded art. I am using the external opus encoder for the export (that same I have always used).  If I re-save the tag in an external tag editor like mp3tag, then Poweramp is able to see the embedded art.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Re: Opus Cover Art tag changes?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:39:30 am »

...Bueller?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 12:14:23 am »

It's possible the phone has requirements about the image format.  Just guessing.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:46 am »

This started happening in the last 2 weeks, so I am not sure the phone changed its image format requirements in that time- prior to that, no issues with embedded art.  As a workaround I am having the export create a folder.jpg file.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Re: Opus Cover Art tag changes? Ogg Vorbis also affected
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »

Decided to give ogg vorbis a try. I get the same results.  When I do a conversion in JRiver, just as with opus the embedded album art is not visible in Poweramp on my phone.

When I use a non-jriver encoder (such as dbpoweramp) to ogg vorbis or to opus, the embedded album art is visible in Poweramp on my phone.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 08:44:26 am »

I have posted two files. One encoded with MC and the second encoded with dbpowerapp.  I don't know enough about tagging to examine what might be the difference between these two files from a coverart perspective, but thought it might be useful for troubleshooting:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12n9sSw6RlcgXR0ylhrHhlmM335Mr2tTd?usp=sharing

Also, when i tried opening the files with VLC on my PC, VLC can see the album art in the dbpoweramp encoded file, but not the jrmc encoded one.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:01:50 pm »

After examining a number of files it appears to that the "Picture Bits Per Pixel" tag is causing errors with reading the embedded artwork in the file. MC is writing to that tag.  MP3Tag strips it out and also strips out the picture dimension tags. and the DBpoweramp converter writes the dimension tags but not the "Picture Bits Per Pixel" tag.  Is it possible the writing this information into the file is new behavior from MC?

Here is the EXIF info:

File 1 (embedded art not showing in poweramp):
Picture Type                    : Front Cover
Picture MIME Type               : image/png
Picture Description             :
Picture Width                   : 700
Picture Height                  : 700
Picture Bits Per Pixel          : 32
Picture Indexed Colors          : 0
Picture Length                  : 905796
Picture                         : (Binary data 905796 bytes, use -b option to extract)

File 2 (working, tags resaved by mp3tag)
Picture Description             :
Picture Width                   : 0
Picture Height                  : 0
Picture Bits Per Pixel          : 0
Picture                         : (Binary data 905796 bytes, use -b option to extract)

File 3 (working, encoded with dbpoweramp)
Picture Description             : Cover artwork
Picture Width                   : 700
Picture Height                  : 700
Picture Bits Per Pixel          : 0

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 04:10:03 pm »

I'll take a look tomorrow to see what might be different between them. I don't think its the metadata if the one from mp3tag basically just zeroes all the data.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 07:56:14 am »

I'll take a look tomorrow to see what might be different between them. I don't think its the metadata if the one from mp3tag basically just zeroes all the data.

Thank you. Anything stand out?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 06:35:24 am »

I noticed that we save our tags with extra line breaks, which are technically valid but totally useless, and thats really the main difference here. Removing those and the tags start working for me in other tools. This will be fixed in a future build.
You will have to make it re-save the cover art though, which isn't something thats just a single button somewhere. I copied it to the clipboard and re-added it from the clipboard, but thats not great for multiple files.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 10:52:48 am »

Thanks for tracking this down! I will figure something out for re-saving the cover art.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:30:08 am »

Just to close the circle- the new build does indeed solve this issue for my ogg vorbis and opus exports and using those files with Poweramp. Thanks to everyone who worked on this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up