INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server: Run on Windows Startup ?  (Read 2263 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Server: Run on Windows Startup ?
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:38:23 am »

Hi all. I recently moved and long story short, I needed to move my JRMC server to a new computer. I have JRMC options set to Run on Windows Startup: Media Server but the server will not start unless I log in a user. On my previous system, I had a user auto log in so I don't know if 'Run On Windows Startup' actually means Windows Startup or if it means User Login? Should a user log in be required to start the server service?

And second question if user log in is required, I don't want the new system to auto log in at it's current location so if a user log in is required, has anyone been using a service starter like NSSM as a work around?

Thanks all!
Thanks!

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Server: Run on Windows Startup ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »

Is anyone running Media Server at boot without logging in successfully? I did find where it's mentioned that it can be done with FireDaemon, but I can't find info here on the forum for what actually needs to be set for the arguments for the service to start. :-\
Thanks!

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:48:08 pm »

I install MC 28.0.80 64-bit on Win10 pro and Win11 pro. 

JRiver MC options:
Media Network > "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" (Access Key: xxxx)
Startup > Windows Startup > "Run on Windows Startup: Media Server" (as described by OP). 

I find after PC login:

Task Manager > Processes tab > Background Processes:
   Media Center Service > JRiver Media Center Service
   Media Center 28
After opening the desktop MC GUI, Media Center 28 moves from Background Processes to Apps.

Task Manager > Services tab:
   Media Center 28 Service (Description:  JRiver Media Center 28 Service)

This PC > RMB Manage > Services and Applications > Services:
   JRiver Media Center 28 Service (set Startup Type: Automatic)

Prior to login  I can connect to JRiver Media Center 28 Service and use it as a music server, for example with BubbleUPnP App on Android, JRemote2 on Android, or a JRiver MC client on another PC.  It dishes out the MC library organized per my various MC views.   If the server PC goes to sleep, then I can use an Android WOL app to wake it up over WiFi and proceed as described, without login.  I think this is what the OP is asking for.

If in addition I install BubbleUPnP Server as a service and set “Startup Type: Automatic”, then  I can use JRemote2, BubbleUPnP App, or an MC client to play to my Chromecast Audio dongles (they appear as DLNA renderers), all without login to the MC server PC.

This works without any additional 3rd party programs to set up JRiver Media Center 28 Service as a Windows service.

Caveat:  My only experience is with audio media, essentially all ripped CDs or flac downloads, within a home network.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:06:38 am »

Thanks for posting that, Mark.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 01:59:47 pm »

My Windows 10 HTPC runs MC Server "automagically" whenever the computer starts up.  I have this particular Windows 10 PC set up so that it does not require a password to get it up and running.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:51:39 pm »

Just a quick follow up on this topic and then it could be closed. I ended up needing to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 11 21H2 on this box and Media Center Server starts up just fine now without having a user needing to logon. Not sure what may have caused the original issue as I did a compare of every related firewall & JRMC setting I could think of before, but it's working great after the system reinstall. Gonna chalk it up to those pesky gremlins! Thanks for the previous suggestions all, it was appreciated! :)
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up