INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Zones to define output from my media computer  (Read 948 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Using Zones to define output from my media computer
« on: September 22, 2021, 10:11:11 pm »

I have two pieces of equipment I'd like to connect to my Windows media computer: a pre-pro and a 2-channel DAC.  I intend to use my pre-pro for video files and the 2-channel DAC for stereo music files.

Can I use Zones to set up rules to send video (or any multi-channel file) to the HDMI port on my computer and Audio files to a certain USB port?  How?

I did read the Wiki, but when I started a trial set-up (I didn't save any of my settings changes) it didn't seem like there was a way to define which comm port you want certain files sent to.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Using Zones to define output from my media computer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 11:17:25 pm »

To use ZoneSwitch first you must define the Zones you wish to switch to, so for your example:

Create a Zone named HDMI, manually select that Zone and set the Options>Playback>Audio Device to your HDMI device.
Create a Zone named USB, manually select that Zone and set the Options>Playback>Audio Device to your USB device.

then

In ZoneSwitch:

Create a rule to select video files and playback in the HDMI Zone.
Create a rule to select audio files and playback in the USB Zone.

See my reply to this post for more info on setting up Zoneswitch rules https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130654.0.html

Terry

" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 02:26:53 pm »

Thank you.  I will try that.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »

This may not be the place to ask this question, perhaps it should be in a separate thread, but:

Something is funky with the output from my computer.  I haven't tried creating any Zones yet, and I am currently playing 2-channel audio files through the USB port to my Schiit Eitr (then on to my pre-pro and the rest of my analog system).  I have hardly any volume, and even stranger, increasing or decreasing the volume level on my pre-pro has NO effect on the loudness from my speakers.

I have double checked my Audio settings in Windows: exclusive mode is enabled, system volume is set to 100%, the Eitr is recognized as an output device.  Is there something I need to set in MC28?

Also, I've checked a couple of times, and now that Eiter is recognized as an output device, my HDMI output seems to have been disabled, whether the Eitr is connected or not.  That means I can't play video through my pre-pro to my TV.

Any suggestions?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 03:32:08 pm »

That is quite funky.
Are the Eitr and HDMI available in the sound control panel?

Having hardly any volume and no control suggests that the sound is not coming out of the device you think it is.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:22:27 pm »

My advice on your issue is to be VERY METHODICAL.

First disconnect your USB device and concentrate on using Windows tools like Device Manager and Sound Control Panel to verify that the HDMI output is working and can output audio, then verify that MC28 can output to this device.

When that is working then reconnect the USB device, check the HDMI is still working fine, then work through the same process with the USB device.

WHEN both devices are working correctly THEN move on to the 'icing on the cake' of automatic selection of Zones using ZoneSwitch.

Good luck!

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 06:28:49 am »

Thanks, @fitbrit and @terrym@tassie.

I'm not sure my HDMI output/ comm port was working properly to begin with.  I have tried watching a couple of videos and had volume problems.  It occurs to me there may be a driver for my pre-pro?  I didn't need one with my Mac installation, the bits were simply sent to the input of my pre-pro. 

I'll leave my USB output disconnected for now, as suggested.  If I get my HDMI output working I can listen to 2-channel that way, two.  That USB device is an audio experiment anyway.

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 12:46:13 pm »

Update: I don't remember what I did with JRiver volume and Windows volume, but things mostly work.  There is still something I don't understand going on inside my computer.  I do have a work-around, though.  If I have only my pre-pro connected (to the HDMI port), everything works the way I am used to.  I still have to select what audio processing I want my pre-pro to perform (Matrix, DTE, none/stereo...), but I get sound.  If I connect my Eitr (2-channel device, via USB), then output to the HDMI port goes wonky, and if I try sending a multi-channel signal to the Eitr I get an error from MC28 (the latter is understandable).  So if I want to watch Video, my Eitr in unplugged from my computer; if I want to listen to music, I plug in my Eitr's USB cable.

I think I might be able to fix this using Zones and Zone Switches.  Before I try constructing my Zones and Zone Switches later this week, I have another question.  My Eitr shows up in Windows Control Panel as a Device.  However, my pre-pro does not.  If I can find out what the ID for my HDMI port is, can I set up a rule to route all Video files to that port, rather than a Device?  I think my 2-channel rule is easier: IF [Media Type] = Audio, THEN [Device] = Eitr.

This may be something you guys can't answer, and I understand if it is.  I'll experiment anyway.

macdonjh

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 04:05:24 pm »

I tried the, what is now obvious, action of unplugging my pre-pro from my computer and seeing what device disappeared.  My computer thinks my pre-pro is a "generic PnP monitor".  I guess it sees the HDMI receiver board and thinks it's a TV.  Makes sense in a twisted sort of way.

I guess it's time to start making Zones and Zone Switches.

macdonjh

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 05:18:20 pm »

OK, it's working.  I have created two new Zones:

2channel uses the Schiit Eitr (Direct Sound output) Device
   Multichannel uses Generic PnP Monitor / HSR41 (Direct Sound output) Device

My pre-pro appears as Generic PnP Monitor in Control Panel -> Hardware & Printers, but as HSR41 in available Devices in Media Center -> Playback -> Options.

I currently have both HDMI and USB cables plugged in and my 2-channel audio is happily playing through 2channel.

I stopped playback, switched Zones to Multichannel, switched the input on my pre-pro and restarted playback.  Sound!
I stopped music and started a video, and got video at my TV and sound through my speakers.

Having dedicated Zones for each of my output Devices (pre-pro via HDMI and Eitr via USB) solved my previous problem of not being able to have both devices plugged into my PC at the same time. 

Next experiment: Zone Switches to make MC28 operations automatic so all I have to do is switch inputs on my pre-pro, like in the old days.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 07:07:27 pm »

Some good progress! 
For optimum sound quality it would be best to select WASAPI rather than Direct Sound, as MC interfaces directly with the device in WASAPI mode thus bypassing the Windows mixer/resampling layer. So select the device with the [WASAPI] suffix rather than [Direct Sound].
When using WASAPI it is best to use Options>Audio>Volume>Volume mode : Internal Volume and also Options>Audio>Audio Device>Device settings>select 'Open device for exclusive access' and select 'Maximize device volume during playback'.

Good luck with Zone switching!

macdonjh

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 08:02:01 pm »

For optimum sound quality it would be best to select WASAPI rather than Direct Sound, as MC interfaces directly with the device in WASAPI mode thus bypassing the Windows mixer/resampling layer. So select the device with the [WASAPI] suffix rather than [Direct Sound].
I can do that.  I didn't know there was a difference, other than WASAPI having been around for a long time.  I chose Direct Sound because that's how I was configured and it worked.  As you've said, methodical, one change at a time if possible.

Changed.

When using WASAPI it is best to use Options>Audio>Volume>Volume mode : Internal Volume
I will double check to be sure that's how I have things set up.
Setting changed from [Device Volume].  Curious, what is the difference, operationally?

and also Options>Audio>Audio Device>Device settings>select 'Open device for exclusive access'
Already set.

and select 'Maximize device volume during playback'.
Setting changed.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:28:16 pm »

Setting changed from [Device Volume].  Curious, what is the difference, operationally?

From the Wiki:
'Internal Volume applies volume inside the 64bit JRiver audio engine. This is the highest quality possible software volume'

macdonjh

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 04:00:45 pm »

From the Wiki:
'Internal Volume applies volume inside the 64bit JRiver audio engine. This is the highest quality possible software volume'

Oh yeah, the Wiki...  That's what it's for. :)

macdonjh

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 08:30:04 pm »

Two very simple Zone Switches created and working just fine.  Thanks for your help, everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up