INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different playback behaviour of MC in my network  (Read 273 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Different playback behaviour of MC in my network
« on: October 21, 2021, 04:08:53 pm »

Sorry – some complicated stuff:

MC behaves different in my metwork. I have three computers. One server – two MC clients which are all Win 10 based and not Win 11 compatible. So before upgrading and spending a certain about of money (next year?) I thought about consolidation with a different architecture and made some tests:

The Workstation is connected through the router to the internet and the router is also connected to a repeater via (~580 Mbit real transfer rates) + switch in the living room. Server (in a separate small room) and Media Renderer (Living room) are connected through 1 Gb Ethernet to the switch.

Scenario 1: Default  Playback in Living Room (Video & Audio Playback perfect)
Path to Router:
Media Server → Ethernet → Switch → Ethernet → Repeater → WiFi → Router
Playback Path:
Media Server→Ethernet→ Switch→ Ethernet → Media Renderer

Scenario 2: Playback in Home Office  (Video & Audio Playback perfect)
Path to Router:
Media Server → Ethernet → Switch → Ethernet → Repeater → WiFi → Router
Playback Path:
Media Server→Ethernet→ Switch→ Ethernet → Repeater → WiFi → Router → Ethernet → Workstation

Scenario 3: Workstation as MC Server playing to Media Renderer (Issues: Buffering, huge writing to SSD)
Path to Router:
Workstation → Ethernet → Router
Playback Path:
Workstation→Ethernet→ Router→ WiFi → Repeater → Ethernet → Switch → Ethernet → Media Renderer

If using a 29i BD in the Scenario 3 transfer rate is a factor 3-5 higher than  in the other scenario's up to 250 Mbit/s and MC buffers to my SSD because playback needs only the bit rate of the ripped bd.

I think playback in Scenario 1 and 2 are OK. In this scenario's I have typically transfer rates equal to the bit rate of the movie.

Scenario 3 has the very high transferrates leading to buffering. Why is this the case?  Specially compared to Scenario 2. In both cases the path uses Wifi only the direction is different?

Any ideas?

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up