INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why some tags do not update...  (Read 1551 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Why some tags do not update...
« on: March 25, 2003, 07:02:34 pm »

I have read several postings where a problem was reported that certain tracks' tags could not be updated. I have had this problem persistently and finally was motivated to solve the problem (at least for my library). I have about 16,000 tracks and about 2/3 of them are classical music. As per classical titles, the names are frequently verbose. When the file name + path exceeds the NTFS limit (and probably the same thing happens with FAT32), the tags cannot be written out to the file.

When I shortened file names on the hard drive, the problem was solved. However, this process pointed out the need for a 'YAFF' (yet another frivolous feature?). It would be great for those of us who use players such as the Archos or move content between machines in general, to have a combines update/reimport function in the library manager. Since some players (Archos, eDigital Odyessy, etc) do not read tags but read folder name/ file name for accessing content, it is helpful to store MC9 tracks in some kind of folder hierachy. This is also helpful when one has a large and complex library of music jsut to keep order in the relm.

The current workflow for my library is if I move folders around or rename files or fix anything that changes the physical database of tracks, I need to run "update library" to purge the old name and then run "import media" to recover renamed or moved content into the library. It would be great if a variation of "update library" would find and remove entries that are missing as well as discover new content to be entered (maybe call it "adjust library"?). If the update function got really cleaver, it could read a unique ID for each track and notice that only its physical location or file name changed and update the MC9 indexing as needed?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Why some tags do not update...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 11:02:17 am »

...if I move folders around or rename files or fix anything that changes the physical database of tracks, I need to run "update library" to purge the old name and then run "import media" to recover renamed or moved content into the library.

Have you tried the Move/Copy option in MC?  It should work for this.

fex

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 11:22:20 am »

"Similar" problem here:

- Download files.
- Play one or two songs.
- Then I update the tags (for ex. set artist in the matching field).
- Then I "rename files from properties". What happens?

Not all files are renamed (or moved). The last one or two files played are not renamed or removed. Note: I did stop playing before "updating". Happens with the current build (9.0.133). With build 131 this was not the case.

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 08:08:10 pm »

Jim,

Yes I have tried move/copy but it seems to only operate on the file level, unless I am missing a hidden feature. If folders (albums) could have a move/copy feature, that would solve the problem.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 11:33:24 am »

That's what the My Computer tree in MC is used for.

Find the folder you're talking about and move it to its new location. It should move the folder and update your library.

I'd test this out with a folder with a small number of files in it first. There was a bug a while back where it wasn't updating the database properly, and I can't remember if it's been fixed or not.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 11:37:25 am »

I'd test this out with a folder with a small number of files in it first. There was a bug a while back where it wasn't updating the database properly, and I can't remember if it's been fixed or not.

To the best of my knowledge, that bug was fixed quite some time ago.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 12:10:26 pm »

I thought it had been, but I didn't want to send the guy off on some great idea that would result in hours of repair work to his library.

I know it was a really nasty suprise for me when I found it. 2000 files all messed up in the library. Ouch. :P

Glad to hear it's fixed, though. That's a really great feature. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up