INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashes if DLNA reconnects  (Read 2671 times)

Jfranz

MC crashes if DLNA reconnects
« on: March 23, 2022, 07:48:18 am »

Hello,

MC regularly crashes when a DLNA renderer reconnects after being disconnected.

My system consists of JRiver MC 29.0.22 64 bits installed on a PC with Windows 10, two DLNA renderers created by BubbleUPNP from two Chromecast Audio devices. BubbleUPNP is installed on the same PC. Windows Defender has been treated following the recommendations. No other antivirus is present on the system.

The DLNA renderer can be disconnected and reconnected either within MC (by unchecking and rechecking the advanced option 'DLNA Controller (control other DLNA devices), or through BubbleUPNP, by unchecking and rechecking 'Create a DLNA renderer'.

The crash occurs only if the DLNA renderer has been previously used by JRiver since restart. If only the local zone has been used since restart then no crash occurs.

I have been experiencing this behavior for several years, always hoping that a new version would fix the issue.

This is quite frustrating because for some reasons BubbleUPNP briefly disconnects and reconnects the DLNA devices almost every night, with the result that almost every morning I have to restart JRiver because it has crashed during the night.

I am able to reproduce the crash, and I have a log of the event. Can you please help to solve this issue? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC crashes if DLNA reconnects
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 08:31:20 am »

Can you devise a test without BubbleUPnP?

Jfranz

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 12:15:40 pm »

Hi Jim, thanks for following up.

I stopped BubbleUPnP server on my PC, and used the BubbleUPnP app on my Android to create a local renderer. I enabled the local renderer, played something on it with JRiver, disabled it, then reenabled it. I tested this twice, and JRiver did not crash.

I forgot to mention that when I use BubbleUPnP and Chromecast, the crash does not occur immediately after reconnection of the DLNA renderer, but after about 45 to 50 seconds. Also, I tested the same sequence leading to the crash with foobar2000, which does not crash.

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 09:58:22 pm »

This sounds a lot like something others have experienced. Not related to Bubble.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130940.msg908113.html#msg908113

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 01:11:14 am »

My system consists of JRiver MC 29.0.22 64 bits installed on a PC with Windows 10, two DLNA renderers created by BubbleUPNP from two Chromecast Audio devices. BubbleUPNP is installed on the same PC. Music files stored on attached USB SSD.  Windows Defender has been treated following the recommendations. No other antivirus is present on the system.
My system is very similar, running for a couple of years with two original Chromecast Audio (CA) dongles, visible to MC as DLNA renderers through BubbleUPnP Server.  I have certainly worked through a challenging range of connection issues.  Reboot needed - yes many times to clear network issues while debugging - but in the last few months it is rare for MC itself to crash.   I use McAfee Total Protection, "not" Windows Defender.  I use a WLAN app to remotely wake up the server from sleep if necessary and then start playing from Android.

The DLNA renderer can be disconnected and reconnected either within MC (by unchecking and rechecking the advanced option 'DLNA Controller (control other DLNA devices), or through BubbleUPNP, by unchecking and rechecking 'Create a DLNA renderer'.

The crash occurs only if the DLNA renderer has been previously used by JRiver since restart. If only the local zone has been used since restart then no crash occurs.
I tried both of your disconnect/reconnect tests tonight, and neither crashed MC.  After reconnect I just started MC playing to the CA again without problem.

A smorgasbord of tips that work for me:
1) In MC server, set Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Run on Windows startup:  Media Center and Media Server.  In Windows Services, check that both BubbleUPnP Server and JRiver Media Center Service 29 are set for Startup Type: Automatic.   Together, these will leave Bubble, MC Server, and MC running after a reboot, even without logging in to your desktop.   
2) Very important to use latest version of BubbleUPnP Server (0.9-update42 or greater).
3) Be sure the PC server is using the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band.  While a dual band Wi-Fi router can sometimes play to the CAs on the 5GHz band, I find CAs can only be discovered on the 2.4GHz band with my NETGEAR router.
4) At least for testing, and a good idea in general, be sure there is only one MC Server on your network.  While multiple MC client PCs are fine, I do not set them up as servers, just to avoid any possible confusion.
5) In Win11 Network & Internet Settings, my home network is "Private", with its Network Discovery & File/Printer Sharing all turned on.  On another networked computer, my server PC appears under Windows Network > "Computer" (as well as under "Media Devices" and "Other Devices").
6) Lately any time I have a CA connection issue it is traceable to BubbleUPnP Server, never MC.  When BubbleUPnP is healthy (showing your MC Server, and CA Renderers as DLNA devices, as you describe), then all my Android apps are functional (MO 4Media, MC Panel, JRemote2, BubbleUPnP app).  If BubbleUPnP Server is not ok, then the Android apps all fail, except possibly BubbleUPnP app which might play directly through its local server (I think you saw the latter).
7) Be sure all firewall exceptions for Local TCP/IP Ports and Local UDP Ports are set up for MediaCenter29, BubbleUPnPServer, and Chromecast.
8 ) Set up Wi-Fi router to use static IP addresses.
9) On rare occasions, after significant network changes, it is necessary to power-cycle the Wi-Fi router as well as reboot the server PC.
10) In the MC server PC > MC left panel tree, check Services & Plug-ins > Media Network.  It should report that all 5 servers are running properly.
11) Use Whitebear DMRA to confirm normal operation of CA renderers.
12) As a test, set the MC server PC to never sleep (Windows power settings) and see if that eliminates your overnight "disconnect" issue.
13) If using Android apps to control MC Server over Wi-Fi, be sure phone is set to auto-reconnect to your LAN's 2.4GHz network.  Without auto-reconnect, phone app connection to MC is very sketchy, even when phone appears on router's attached devices list and otherwise functions normally.  On Samsung Galaxy S9 (Android Ver. 10, One UI ver. 2.5):
Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Current Network > Settings > Auto-reconnect.   (item added 7/8/2022)

Hope this helps.  I've thought about replacing CAs with Ras Pi many times, but so far have not jumped ship.

MC 29.0.22 Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 09:12:28 am »

The most useful thing here would be the crash dump generated when MC crashes.
Please send that to bob (at) jriver (dot) com.
Thanks.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 11:02:55 am »

Although I don't have concrete evidence to prove it, I think this is similar to what I reported recently:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132214.msg916501.html#msg916501

Since disconnecting the LG television from the network (since I never really used it as a DLNA renderer), MC has stayed up continuously for what seems like weeks at a time.  All of the other renderers on the network are constantly present.

I still have the log that was generated after the above reported event; I'll email it to you, Bob.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 08:58:08 am »

Although I don't have concrete evidence to prove it, I think this is similar to what I reported recently:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132214.msg916501.html#msg916501

Since disconnecting the LG television from the network (since I never really used it as a DLNA renderer), MC has stayed up continuously for what seems like weeks at a time.  All of the other renderers on the network are constantly present.

I still have the log that was generated after the above reported event; I'll email it to you, Bob.
Does it include a crash dump?

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 09:34:18 am »

Does it include a crash dump?

I've emailed you what I have.

The scenario doesn't quite match that of the OP, since I never had MC play anything to the LG television as a renderer.

Thanks,
  Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 10:17:13 am »

Got it.
No crash dump.
The log doesn't indicate why the failure unfortunately.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 03:47:29 pm »

I finally got our test chromecast (v1) and set it up with bubble.
I can't get a crash given the procedure above.
Mine plays just fine.
Now I don't have the bubble on the same computer as MC. I couldn't get it to run properly on windows (it wasn't finding the chromecast device).

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 07:45:43 pm »

Now I don't have the bubble on the same computer as MC. I couldn't get it to run properly on windows (it wasn't finding the chromecast device).
You are the network expert here, but that behavior sounds really odd to me.  I've always had MC, MC Server, and BubbbleUPnP Server on same Win 10 or Win 11 PC and their co-existence has never been an issue for me.  Also, I run BubbleUPnP only on the one MC Server PC (running it on client PCs simultaneously caused confusion).

Have you worked through my list above, particularly 3), 5), 7) ?
MC PC, Chromecast, and BubbleUPnP must be on same subnet.
Any updates waiting in Windows Settings menu (strangely, they almost always cause problems until installed)?
Reboot?

BubbleUPnP > Renderers tab > Chromecast device should show up, then check [ x] Create a DLNA renderer.
BubbleUPnP > Media Servers tab > the MC Server should show, checkmarked to make it available.

I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with your setup - after all you say it works.  I just find it is not necessary to run MC and BubbleUPnP on separate devices.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 09:00:59 am »

You are the network expert here, but that behavior sounds really odd to me.  I've always had MC, MC Server, and BubbbleUPnP Server on same Win 10 or Win 11 PC and their co-existence has never been an issue for me.  Also, I run BubbleUPnP only on the one MC Server PC (running it on client PCs simultaneously caused confusion).

Have you worked through my list above, particularly 3), 5), 7) ?
MC PC, Chromecast, and BubbleUPnP must be on same subnet.
Any updates waiting in Windows Settings menu (strangely, they almost always cause problems until installed)?
Reboot?

BubbleUPnP > Renderers tab > Chromecast device should show up, then check [ x] Create a DLNA renderer.
BubbleUPnP > Media Servers tab > the MC Server should show, checkmarked to make it available.

I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with your setup - after all you say it works.  I just find it is not necessary to run MC and BubbleUPnP on separate devices.
I'll try windows again, maybe use a different machine.
They are all on the subnet and I avoided the multicast through the router issue by putting everything on 2.4 ghz. (by the way, a decent router should let you control multicast filtering across the bridged lan/wireless networks on the same subnet).
I have only one internal lan network so subnetting isn't an issue.
I used the server installation on windows, not the user installation. It saw my DLNA devices like the Id's and TV but not the chromecast.
As soon as I moved bubble to a linux laptop the chromecast appeared.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 10:16:31 am »

Bob,
It could be something like Windows Defender.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 11:14:35 am »

Bob,
It could be something like Windows Defender.
Turned it all off.
Still doesn't see the chromecast from windows.
I'm going to try an ethernet connection, then a different machine if that doesn't work.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 11:22:21 am »

Turned it all off.
Still doesn't see the chromecast from windows.
I'm going to try an ethernet connection, then a different machine if that doesn't work.
It was the wifi.
Must be an issue with the multicast support for the driver of the built-in wifi.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 11:30:24 am »

Ok so since it's working all on one windows 10 laptop now and I created a DLNA (and OpenHome) renderer from the chromecast device I do the following.

1) Play a track to the chromecast DLNA device.
2) Stop the track
3) Go into media network, Advanced, uncheck controller. Save settings.
The renderers vanish from the Playing Now list
4) Go back into media network, Advanced, check controller. Save settings.
The renderers reappear in Playing now
5) Play a track
It works without issue.

Do you have more than one network attached to your windows machine (like a virtualbox virtual network, etc)?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 11:35:43 am »

(by the way, a decent router should let you control multicast filtering across the bridged lan/wireless networks on the same subnet).
Thanks for that.
Just say'in:  on my network with old NETGEAR AC1200 R6220 Smart WiFi Router, BubbleUPnP sometimes continues talking to the Chromecast on the 5 GHz band over an existing communication channel.  However, on my network, Bubble will never discover the Chromecast on the 5 GHz band.  So, for example, if I switch the Bubble PC from 2.4 to 5, then it may continue working, but if I restart the PC, things go AWOL.  Source of great mental anguish until I figured it out.

All this, despite the marking on side of the Chromecast Audio packaging, which states "2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi with adaptive antenna system".

Perhaps it has something to do with the way the Chromecast Audio is first set up in Google's Home Android app, but I never pursued that investigation.

MC 29.0.55    Win 10/11 (64-bit)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 11:46:28 am »

... if I restart the PC, things go AWOL.  Source of great mental anguish until I figured it out.
Adversity builds character.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 11:50:16 am »

Adversity builds character.
LOL, many times over. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 11:58:45 am »

At any rate it shouldn't be able to cause MC to crash.
It's really a shame that yours doesn't generate a crash dump.

If you can it might be worth trying to assign fixed IP address leases to the Chromecast and the windows machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up