INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 29 not reading custom tags from m4a files  (Read 533 times)

SamNorthernlights

• Recent member
MC 29 not reading custom tags from m4a files
« on: May 08, 2022, 09:59:37 am »

I have encountered a problem- just noticed it today. I use a few custom tags in my music files and one is ComposerSort. I have added the field to library fields  and rescanned all the files to refresh the tags info.  I just noticed today that some albums are not showing up in my Composers view using this tag. At first I was struggling to see what was wrong as I checked the tags using mp3tag, and they are showing up at my control points using the same tag with Minimserver. Then I thought to check is there a pattern with file type and this is the reason. Any m4a files I have (quite a lot - mainly ALAC) are not showing up if I filter by custom tags.

I had the same problem with Minimserver and Simon, the developer fixed it so it reads them no problem now. Looks like a similar issue affects MC 29. I can’t think of a work around short of converting all the files and I’m not doing that as there are too many. I wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 29 not reading custom tags from m4a files
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 11:31:01 am »

The case must match exactly in any custom tags.

SamNorthernlights

• Recent member
Re: MC 29 not reading custom tags from m4a files
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:16:46 am »

Sorry, just getting back to this now. I forgot about it for a while but came back to my attention. I did check the case and it was wrong. I corrected this but it made no difference. As an example, I have created a library view to show symphonies that are neither by Nordic nor Russian composers - i.e. all other symphonies albums. The view is by composer (using Composersort) and then I can click on each composer and then see a view of all albums for that composer. This works perfectly. However there is a group called 'Unassigned' - i.e. no composer identified. I checked the tags and Composersort is populated. The albums in the group are all either ALAC, AIF or DSD. So the only logical conclusion is Media Centre is ignoring the Composersort tag for these file types.

To verify I converted one of the ALAC albums to FLAC and put it back, and sure enough now that album appears under the respective composer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up