INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed configuring a Sonore microRendu network device  (Read 1625 times)

fataxeman

• Recent member

Good morning,

My old microRendu failed and I eventually (long story) got it replaced.  It is working with Roon which I don't particularly like.  Hence my question.

I have some notes from the old setup and believe I have it set up the same way, but it is not even recognized by MC.

Here are the Media Network settings:

Use Media Network to share this library & enable DLNA.

DLNA servers - Audiophile 24-bit DAC
Mode: specified output format
Format: PCM 24-bit

under Advanced:
DLNA and DLNA Extra are selected

What do I need to check next or other troubleshooting should I do.

Thank you in advance for your time and any suggestions you have.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help needed configuring a Sonore microRendu network device
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 07:32:50 am »

Could be firewall or antivirus related.  In the Media Network section, there is a test for whether the network is open.  You only need local access on the LAN, not access via Internet.

Configure Windows Defender.  There is a thread here.

Try turning Media Network off and back on to generate a new Access Key.

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 01:55:35 pm »

I'm not at the microRendu at the moment.  I'll check Defender, but I don't see the link on your post.

I did turn Media Network off/on...or maybe I just deleted the 24-bit audiophile setting and added another...I'll have to check with that.

And the "test the network" part...already looked at it and it said I had access on the local network, but I needed to open a port I think for internet access.  But, I've never had internet access to my NAS and JRiver, so I ignored that part.

Thank you for the tips.

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 06:41:39 pm »

Hi all,
Again, I'm not in front of the pc running JRiver, but have a little more information.

I turned Media Network off/on again and it still does not generate a new code.  It has a code but it is the same one that was being used prior to the microRendu hardware dying and the ensuing problems with getting that device replaced.  I've done this 2 times now with no change.

I saw that Network Discovery was off (and I have no idea why...not something I'd do on purpose).  I turned it back on and somewhere in some kind of media network setting (in Windows 10), it showed/recognized the Sonore microRendu.  However, it still does not show in Windows File Manager under "Network" or anywhere at all in File Manager. 

I went in to Defender and allowed a folder that I believe had to do with the Library file as it was on the C: drive. 

The microRendu still works with Roon, which as I stated before, I don't like and don't particularly want to use.

Thanks in advance for any more ideas. 

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 06:18:50 pm »

Today I did the following with no change:
Tools>options>Media Network>un-click Use Media Network to Share this Library>re-click the same.  (I did a save in JRiver and Shut Down of the pc in between).  Defender never asked me to allow anything and it's still not working.

I did a reset and got a new Access Key, but I thought that was just for setting up a Gizmo remote.  There was no change.

I supposedly opened UDP port 1900 and that did not work either.  There is still no sign of the micoRendu in JRiver.

The menu area that used to have all the ASIO settings that I recall going to and picking the driver...I can't find that area.  Maybe that isn't available unless the network node/player is recognized. 

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:11 pm »

Today I did the following with no change:
Tools>options>Media Network>un-click Use Media Network to Share this Library>re-click the same.  (I did a save in JRiver and Shut Down of the pc in between).  Defender never asked me to allow anything and it's still not working.

I did a reset and got a new Access Key, but I thought that was just for setting up a Gizmo remote.  There was no change.

I supposedly opened UDP port 1900 and that did not work either.  There is still no sign of the micoRendu in JRiver.

The menu area that used to have all the ASIO settings that I recall going to and picking the driver...I can't find that area.  Maybe that isn't available unless the network node/player is recognized.

Don't worry about any ASIO settings, those don't pertain to what you are doing here, they only pertain to direct connection of a USB DAC to a Windows computer running the JRiver instance.

For your microRendu setup, you do need to have it connected to a DAC via USB, the final setup won't happen until you have that unit connected to a powered USB DAC.

Also regarding the microRendu, just leave the Roon Ready operating mode entirely, and use the Sonicorbiter's App Switcher to set the unit for the MPD/DLNA operating mode.

Once in MPD/DLNA mode, if you still don't see the microRendu as an available endpoint/Zone in JRiver, enter Sonicorbiter's Settings tab. Press the blue Save Changes button, again ensuring you had already selected the MPD/DLNA mode using App Switcher as described above, and you do have a USB DAC connected to the microRendu (and powered ON if it isn't a bus powered DAC).

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:19 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for reaching out. 

That looks promising!  I'm upstairs and on my old MacBook Pro.  I'm not sure I ever looked for the microRendu on the Mac because I usually play to the Mac locally and use headphones or play to another upstairs system (microRendu is on a system in the basement and has never lived upstairs).

But it IS showing now!  Thank you so much!  It seems like the microRendu used to just show "mrendu0286EA", but now shows "mrendu0286EA-UPnP/AV".  Once again this is on the Mac.

Still, I am very hopeful and will try it tomorrow morning on the Windows 10 microRendu system in the basement.

Thanks again MikeyFresh!!!

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 10:04:09 am »

Hi,
Thanks for reaching out. 

That looks promising!  I'm upstairs and on my old MacBook Pro.  I'm not sure I ever looked for the microRendu on the Mac because I usually play to the Mac locally and use headphones or play to another upstairs system (microRendu is on a system in the basement and has never lived upstairs).

But it IS showing now!  Thank you so much!  It seems like the microRendu used to just show "mrendu0286EA", but now shows "mrendu0286EA-UPnP/AV".  Once again this is on the Mac.

Still, I am very hopeful and will try it tomorrow morning on the Windows 10 microRendu system in the basement.

Thanks again MikeyFresh!!!

Sounds good, it will most certainly work, I've used a microRendu as a DLNA/UPnP endpoint in conjunction with JRiver's media server function since 2016.

One part of what you are describing is confusing me, the aspect of the microRendu "showing" on either a Mac, or a Windows machine. I'm not sure what you are really looking for there, or where it is you think it needs to "show", but don't get sidetracked with all sorts of macOS or Windows network BS there.

Simply launch an instance of JRiver that is configured to be a media server, and look along the left-hand side of the UI for the microRendu as an available "Zone" to select and play to. There is no need to go looking around in anything else but JRiver, and you can even do that from a web browser too using Panel, or from a compatible Control Point app such as JRemote.

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:46 pm »

Yes, I'm back in business.  Thanks again.

I was 99% sure it was going to work when I checked it today and it did.  For some reason, I thought I might have to pick DLNA on the mRendu software, but of course I did not have to as I had done that last night (proven empirically by the Zone showing up again).

When you said "just leave the Roon Ready operating mode entirely", I finally saw what you were talking about.  I had seen that the various icons when working with Sonore tech support, but don't recall ever clicking/selecting it to get Roon to work.  Similarly, I am almost certain that I never selected the DLNA/UPnP endpoint icon to get the mRendu to work initially.  My original mRendu worked for about 18 months before failing and me eventually having to get it replaced.

As far as looking for the device to "show" (be recognized) on my OS, I reasoned that if the computer did not identify the device, JRiver would not either.  I just checked my Win 10 machine and on File Manager and under Network it has "mrendu0286-media server" showing.  It has a new icon that looks like a penguin with headphones.  Definitely not seen that until tonight, but it had some kind of icon before.  On the Mac (which I am currently on), when I go to Network, it says "MRENDU0286EA."  So just trying to explain what I was looking for. 

I know enough to be dangerous, but sometimes miss obvious stuff.  I had rebooted (and Shut Down) the mrendu several times via Sonicorbiter, but didn't even really know that the mrendu was considered DLNA.  I thought that was different topology for some reason.

So, once again, thanks for everything!

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 10:19:02 pm »

Yes, I'm back in business.  Thanks again.

I was 99% sure it was going to work when I checked it today and it did.  For some reason, I thought I might have to pick DLNA on the mRendu software, but of course I did not have to as I had done that last night (proven empirically by the Zone showing up again).

When you said "just leave the Roon Ready operating mode entirely", I finally saw what you were talking about.  I had seen that the various icons when working with Sonore tech support, but don't recall ever clicking/selecting it to get Roon to work.  Similarly, I am almost certain that I never selected the DLNA/UPnP endpoint icon to get the mRendu to work initially.  My original mRendu worked for about 18 months before failing and me eventually having to get it replaced.

As far as looking for the device to "show" (be recognized) on my OS, I reasoned that if the computer did not identify the device, JRiver would not either.  I just checked my Win 10 machine and on File Manager and under Network it has "mrendu0286-media server" showing.  It has a new icon that looks like a penguin with headphones.  Definitely not seen that until tonight, but it had some kind of icon before.  On the Mac (which I am currently on), when I go to Network, it says "MRENDU0286EA."  So just trying to explain what I was looking for. 

I know enough to be dangerous, but sometimes miss obvious stuff.  I had rebooted (and Shut Down) the mrendu several times via Sonicorbiter, but didn't even really know that the mrendu was considered DLNA.  I thought that was different topology for some reason.

So, once again, thanks for everything!

I'm glad its sorted out and you are up and running.

For clarity, I should have said "exit the Roon Ready mode entirely", as Leave could be misconstrued as "leave it alone" or something to that effect.

Anyway, you no doubt did initially have to configure the older microRendu for the MPD/DLNA mode to get it working initially, and similarly, you would have needed to change that using the App Switcher in Sonicorbiter to enable the Roon mode in order to get that to work.

It's easy to forget these things some years later, but it would have needed to happen at that time because Sonicorbiter will only operate in one "Renderer" or endpoint mode at a time, you can't have more than one mode of operation active simultaneously.

Having the unit "show" in either Windows or macOS is of course never a bad thing, but with Windows network discovery in particular, sometimes people beat themselves over the head needlessly with that. So long as you see the microRendu (or any endpoint) as an available playback Zone in JRiver, you should be all set to go and don't worry about any stupid Windows or macOS stuff beyond that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up