INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Bandwidth for High Res Formats?  (Read 707 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Network Bandwidth for High Res Formats?
« on: June 04, 2022, 04:24:54 pm »

Are there any stats somewhere on what kind of network bandwidth would be required for pulling High Res audio over ethernet?

I.E. DSD256, DSD128, DSD64, FLAC 384Mhz, FLAC 192 (2 Channel Vs. 5 Channel?)

I seem to have a lot of issues with some of the higher end audio formats (DSD256 especially) and anything higher than 192kHz if I am trying to do anything else at the same time (Renaming / moving files, Converting files etc...)

I think the issue is network bandwidth just want to see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.
Carl.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
Re: Network Bandwidth for High Res Formats?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 04:52:10 pm »

I stream DSD256 or DXD (24/352.8 or 32/384PCM) in 6 channels without any problems over an unexceptional but competent wired GigaBit LAN.  Average read/download throughput is 820 - 900Mbps.     I also casually edit metadata and manipulate files while streaming.

Get a copy of LAN Speed Test from totusoft.com and see what throughput you are getting. 
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 10:16:39 pm »

I stream DSD256 or DXD (24/352.8) or 32/384PCM in 6 channels without any problems over an unexceptional but competent wired GigaBit LAN.  Average read/download throughput is 820 - 900Mbps.     I also casually edit metadata and manipulate files while streaming.

Get a copy of LAN Speed Test from totusoft.com and see what throughput you are getting.

I don't have issues with casual manipulation while listening.  it is more heavier stuff like converting from SACD ISO to DSD/DFF or converting from a 192kHz FLAC image file to Separate files etc...

But I will download that utility just to see what I am actually getting. Windows Task Manager / Performance Tab is showing me maxxing out @ 100Mbps when thinks are crapping out.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 10:54:34 pm »

I should also mention that the issues are occurring when I am sending full DSD / FLAC to my Yamaha DAC over network.  If I am playing the same files to my receiver via HDMI it has to reduce everything to 192kHz at most and I don't have the same issues.

I suspect that using the full bandwidth for playing DSD128 or higher and / or FLAC higher than 192 combined with Converting one of the aforementioned SACD ISO's or 192kHz Cue / FLAC images is just too much bandwidth in too many directions. From NAS to PC to HDMI plus From NAS to JRiver for converions at the same time?

1 other think I will try is I used to have the number of simultaneous conversions set to 8.  I had to lower it to 4 due to some issues.  I may lower it again to 2 and see if that helps?

Carl.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 02:15:06 am »

Just tried streaming on my PC with Roon

192kHz - ~13Mbps streaming
DSD128 -  (converted to FLAC 352) ~24Mbps

Don't have any DSD256.

Should be ok on a 100Mbps network.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 03:04:08 am »

Carl,
Why don't you upload 5 to 10 files to Cloudplay and I'll tell you if I can play them?

I don't think your problem is network bandwidth.  Hi Res files should work on 100 mbit Ethernet, maybe less.

If you're converting formats, the CPU may be struggling.

Or if you've never tamed Windows Defender, it may be reading every file every time it's opened.

Drive speed can be a problem if you're using any USB drives and have them plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

... anything else at the same time (Renaming / moving files, Converting files etc...

Don't do that while you're testing.  Then test each case, one at a time, in order to identify where the problem occurs.

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 03:09:50 pm »

Carl,
Why don't you upload 5 to 10 files to Cloudplay and I'll tell you if I can play them?

I don't think your problem is network bandwidth.  Hi Res files should work on 100 mbit Ethernet, maybe less.

If you're converting formats, the CPU may be struggling.

Or if you've never tamed Windows Defender, it may be reading every file every time it's opened.

Drive speed can be a problem if you're using any USB drives and have them plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

Don't do that while you're testing.  Then test each case, one at a time, in order to identify where the problem occurs.

Will Cloudplay leave DSF / DSD256 as it?  Or will it convert it to FLAC or something else?

Not that I really have much DSD256. Probably only 1 or 2 albums.  But I do have a bit more DSD128 & Lots of DSD64.  I don't really have any issues with the DSD128 or DSD64 though.

Carl

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 01:19:40 am »

Cloudplay doesn't convert.  Just try a small playlist.  It will tell you if it can't use the file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up