INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.126 beta  (Read 5745 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.0.126 beta
« on: March 11, 2003, 12:51:03 pm »

This is the second build after MAJOR changes -- expect many problems and crashes.

Please wait a few builds if problems could upset you.

If you are sure you want to continue, 9.0.126 is available here: (we warned you)

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90126.exe

Changes

1. Fixed: Ripping to mpeg plus format (enc_mpc plugin) would hang at unpredictable times.
2. Fixed: Added all the buttons to the toolbar.
3. NEW: Ctrl+Alt+0, Ctrl+Alt+1, etc. quickly sets the rating of the currently playing song.
4. NEW: Added MC command system for controlling MC from external places.
5. Fixed: mjextman.exe wasn't working with the new MC command system.
6. NEW: Added \MCC ability to mjextman.exe.
7. NEW: Improved "Quick Play" functionality. (added "My Computer", added shift+click mode, toolbar button, etc.)
8. Fixed: Media Center was not saving last frame position.
9. Fixed: Burning audio CD's from mp3 files with large ID3 headers could result in incorrect track divisions.
10. Fixed: Checkbox for "decode files directly..." on the CD burning options dialog didn't synch with the playback settings dialog.
11. Fixed: Image import was using the filename for the 'Name' field -- even if the image was tagged.
12. Changed: More menu reorganization.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

Re: Media Center 9.0.126 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 01:02:24 pm »

MC is still not remembering if it was previously maximized only if it has been resized...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 01:06:55 pm »

Can the toolbar be on the second line underneath the menu ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 01:07:43 pm »

Not sure about the new right click menu...tools aren't any more easy to get to in terms of nesting the nesting is just different...Would still be useful to be able to set particular tools to the top level eg. rename from props, clean file props, get cover art...these are the tools I use most regularly and could do with being available right on the menu :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 01:12:17 pm »

I have lost MP3 encoders and WM9 encoders.  they were there before the install of this build...

They are still showing as present but I get an error when tryingto use them...says cannot create encoder control...gonna try a reinstall

Adam

UPDATE:  Plugins were okay after a reinstall

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 01:16:08 pm »

The Find button is not there anymore

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 01:18:14 pm »

After customising the toolbar/menu, when trying to customise again, the toolbar resets to the default one and loses all my customised settings.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 01:25:08 pm »

MC just crashed on me...without warning, without an error message, nothing... it has not done this for a LONG time!!  I was playing a track and it kept popping at the beginning...I know there isn't a pop on the file so I tried restarting the file stop, stsrt a couple of times and then MC just disappeared...

Adam

MachineHead

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 02:17:47 pm »

So much for a nice looking desktop icon. This one looks like it was run over by a truck. :P

Slideouts are wrong color. More details in the 'Menu' thread started by Matt last night. Also about this, the Tools slideout is a different color than the Commands slideout. Shouldn't they be the same?

New icons are not shown during the install series of windows as well.

And as long as I'm on a roll, any ETA on an updated help file? This thing is starting to look close to final stages and some documentation would go a long way about now.

Additional:

Matt, I bugged you in a PM about (windows) explorer displays (cursor hover) a while back. I know that 'Format' in file properties does pretty much the same thing, but would be even better as part of the shell integration when used in windows explorer.  This shows about the same info as the app I had mentioned, and I would think it could be added instead of just  pronouncing, 'Media Jukebox File' couldn't it? Too late? Low on the list? Got the headphones on and ignoring the world for a bit? ;)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 02:23:04 pm »

Fix 11: Works! Thank you!

Bugs:
1) Install License not greyed out with valid registration!

2) When creating a new library, MC only creates default fields and does not create user defined fields. Cloning library does not seem to work either!  If you have a dozen user defined fields, it is pretty annoying to recreate them for every new library!

3) When importing files into a new MC library and some fields are not defined in the library, MC does not import the missing fields. Sample: Image files have tags such as Gallery, PaintStyle and Movement.  When importing these image files, only standard fields are imported, but not the extra tags! Have to create fields by hand each time!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2003, 02:25:18 pm »

Serious Help docs won't happen until the program stops changing.  Should be soon now.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 02:44:11 pm »

When trying to edit properties in the grid there is no longer an edit option in the right click menu meaning you cannot edit multiple files...this was one of the most powerful features in MC the ability to batch select a group of files in the grid, right clicck->edit and cahnge a field...Please, Please, PLEASE bring this back...

Adam

TimB

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2003, 02:45:19 pm »

Option for "icons/no text" and "icons/some text" on top menubar but not "icons/all text" which I think was there before.

:)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 02:45:34 pm »

I found it.  It is nested under edit and is called rename...please rename this to edit field or something like that and return it to the top level...it really sped up tag editing

Adam

UPDATE: I just found the new edit button and this is much better than the old method...I take it all back ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 02:51:27 pm »

>> I found it.  It is nested under edit and is
>> called rename...
yep seen it yesterday, weard name for "edit field"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 03:30:28 pm »

1)I like the new menus!  They are much more intuitive; but I agree that "RENAME/EDIT" and "PROPERTIES" SHOULD BE MOVED BACK TO THE TOP LEVEL.

2) Logitech keyboard player control buttons don't work anymore.

3) The keyboard shortcut for changing Zones (Ctrl ~) doesn't work anymore.

4) The new 'file associations' setup box, that pops up during installation, is messed up -- several extensions on one line and random parentheses scattered throughout.

5) The button toolbar can't be moved under the menu bar.  This makes the player window too wide once I add all the buttons I use.

6) Direct Sound only outputs to the front two channels bypassing the Audigy Surround Sound and digital effects software.  If I attempt to use the MC9 DSP effects and JRSS, it does map to all of my 4 channels, but sounds like crap -- lots of crackling.    

7) ASIO crashes about a minute into an internet audio stream (MP3 web radio), or if you click on another link while playing a stream.      

Media Center Registered 9.0.126 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\    

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)    
Intel Pentium 4 2782 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB    

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)    
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer    

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max    
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max    
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767    
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\notify.wav    

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD+RW  DRU-120A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes    
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes    
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2003, 04:10:22 pm »

The keyboard shortcut for changing Zones (Ctrl ~) doesn't work anymore.

Look under the "Player" menu -- the shortcut changed to Ctrl+T

Can the toolbar be on the second line underneath the menu?

We may make this optional, but it seems like a waste of space to have all that gray after "Help".

Slideouts are wrong color. More details in the 'Menu' thread started by Matt last night. Also about this, the Tools slideout is a different color than the Commands slideout. Shouldn't they be the same?

They use the skin's colors so they match a lot better with MEGA-ME skinning.  Maybe we should use system colors if skinning is off...

Matt, I bugged you in a PM about (windows) explorer displays (cursor hover) a while back. I know that 'Format' in file properties does pretty much the same thing, but would be even better as part of the shell integration when used in windows explorer.  This shows about the same info as the app I had mentioned, and I would think it could be added instead of just  pronouncing, 'Media Jukebox File' couldn't it? Too late? Low on the list? Got the headphones on and ignoring the world for a bit?

Shell extensions would be slick, but it won't happen for 9.0 -- just too late in the game. (remind us again when we start in on the next version)

When importing files into a new MC library and some fields are not defined in the library, MC does not import the missing fields. Sample: Image files have tags such as Gallery, PaintStyle and Movement.  When importing these image files, only standard fields are imported, but not the extra tags! Have to create fields by hand each time!

This probably won't change for 9.0.  It'd require a bit of a plugin architecture rework.  We'll fix the other library field problems though, so maybe it won't be too big of a deal then.

Menus

We're still working on this, and may add some sort of most recently used system like "Send To" has.

Quick Play toolbar button

I was really excited about this -- especially the addition of the "My Computer" part.  Nikolay thought it was stupid.  Am I alone?  Is it a bad default toolbar button?

Thanks everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2003, 06:21:17 pm »

Bugs:
1. The Copy Listening To toolbar icon doesn't work (nothing is copied to the clipboard).
2. The toolbar 'No text' setting is not remembered on MC restart.
3. Customizing the toolbar always resets to default layout each time you customize.
4. Custom sorting options for My Computer nodes are not remembered (don't stick)

Observation/Request:
1. I use the Locate In feature all the time...it is buried way to deep in the right-click menuing...can this me moved so it is one or two clicks away (preferably one)?  Also, a toolbar icon to get to it directly would be nice...I know...I've been requesting better/faster Locate In navigation for way too long.

PsychShack

• Recent member
  • Mmm, donuts!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2003, 07:21:04 pm »

There is now a problem with creating CDs.  I'll use the Send To menu to send an album to the CD burner (Audio CD when it asks me).  Then, if I select other files and add them, it asks me what kind of CD again.  Finally, when I click the Burn CD button to view the queue, it asks me once again what type of CD I want to create.
David Schachner

Get lost in the Psychotic Shack: http://psychshack.netfirms.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2003, 07:31:57 pm »

I hope we're not too close to a release, because I'm not seeing my list of bugs dissapearing very fast. :P

Granted not many of them are real show stoppers anymore, but still...

The Search stuff still needs some work, for one thing.

But enough of the negative talk. There are a ton of really exciting features in the last couple of builds. This thing just keeps getting better and better. And I have to say that I'm kind of happy to see the new icon and the new logo. The antique jukebox logo isn't the kind of thing you want for something sporty like MC9. ;)

Anyway, back to business.

A couple of things I've noticed.

You can no longer customize the toolbar by double clicking on the the available buttons. You have to select the button then click the  -> button. Which just slows things down.

Along those lines, I always thought it would be nice if the seperator choice was it's own button that didn't scroll like the rest of the choices. Since you tend to use more than one seperator, it would be nice to be able to add one without having to scroll all the way back to the top each time. Being able to drag buttons over and up and down would be really helpful too.

Also, the Favorites list could be a good addition to Quick Play & Send To.

LisaRCT

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2003, 07:36:12 pm »

Last 2 builds, when watching TV................
if I close the channel's panel, the channel scroll-bar remains in place encroaching on the TV image.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2003, 07:36:31 pm »

The "Toolbar" button in Options doesn't do anything anymore.

The Favorites toolbar button looks identical to the Quick Play button, which makes it rather difficult to tell the two apart when you're not using button text.

The Quick Play menu isn't sorting playlists the same way they are in the Tree. In the Tree, playlist groups are listed first, followed by stand-alone playlists. In Quick Play, everything is alphabetical.

Quick Play still doesn't let you choose individual songs from a menu unless the View Scheme it's based on is set to show Name.

RemyJ

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2003, 08:53:13 pm »

I thought I was going to do a full bug report tonight but I just got home, so the only thing I can comment on is the context menu.  It's nested too much.  Can't see how this is convenient for either a novice or expert.  Thanks for moving Convert to the context menu though.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

michel

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2003, 10:16:46 pm »

The button 'artist info' (-> AMG) is no more there  :'(
It was a very useful button.

Marty3d

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2003, 11:55:59 pm »

MC 9.0.126
*NEW
- Seems that MC doesn't show the tag for Replay Gain "COMM(Replay Gain)" at all anymore! What's going on with the tags anyway??? I think a list of whats available and not is in it's place.
- In Mini-Me, MC doesn't display cover art (Display: None) when transparent unless MC's transparent when song changes
*OLD
- Sticky views doesn't remember sort order in 'Recently Imported' or in Playing Now. Suspects that 'Seq' overrides.
- Sticky views doesn't remember columns in smartlists or in playlists
- Can't search for '&' in search panel
- Tooltip in notification area display ' ' instead of '&'
- 'Last played' and 'Number of plays' behaviour wrong. Changes the song to +1 directly past 50% instead of waiting until song is stopped/next is played. Compare with how it worked in MJ8 before MC beta, that's the way it SHOULD work.
- Auto Smartlist "Top Hits -- haven't heard for over a year" doesn't include numberplays keyword, so it really doesn't show any "Top Hits". Same issue for "Top Hits -- listened to today"
- The slider in File Properties (state docked or not, doesn't matter) flickers between skinned and windows standard when dragged or clicked
- Bug with resizing MC. You can't resize Mega-me at all after doing the following steps:
1. Select a smartlist
1. Right click on an item in the search panel and select "Edit by typing".
2. Try to resize MC. It doesn't work until you change view to another playlist or scheme.
 Alt+TAB after trying to resize MC also shows a hidden window "JRiver Playback Engine Window"
- Media Center is named Media Jukebox in Task Manager - Processes
- View Scheme doesn't work with Date Imported. Shows the different date in the tree, but nothing under each item (search panel shows: [Date Imported]=[16 days, 10 hours ago]...perhaps it should convert to a date?). With grouping, it only shows 0-9...
- Copy/paste in Search panel, you can't select an item and copy it, nor paste it.
Haven't tested, but not reported as fixed:
- Installer doesn't remove old install entries in add/remove programs. (Media jukebox entry) Can't check, have made a reinstall of Windows, please confirm
- Undo doesn't work when pasting from one search panel to another
*FIXED
- Mouse wheel scrolling at the bottom of a playlist scrolls the list to the right, but not back to the left and up

Marty3d

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2003, 11:58:19 pm »

- Quick Play. If you scroll down, the list continues to scroll until the end of the list. Seems to happen when you go through all files (a VERY big list)

Herakles

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2003, 05:39:32 am »

Hi, here are some bugs/suggestions:

1) Bug: In the import tool, when i select some file types, the selection is messed up when i come back later in the tool. Some times the file is just unselected but at other times a file type above or under is selected instead.

2) Bug: The words that i type in the search bar to filter my files are erased after i use the import tool. This happens only on the search bar in view schemes and playlist (on playlist media center ask if we want to save it).

3) Suggestion: Sorting would be much more user friendly if there was a "Sorting..." option on the right-click menu on view schemes, playlist and column headers. This could bring a window with a selection list where we could add sort files and the order that we want them sorted, in a way a little similar to what we used to see in the "Tree & View Settings". Some nice options that could be added in this sort window: Make all views like Current, Make all underlying views like current (so we can reset the sorting made on those).

Thanks  :)

Herakles

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2003, 06:15:09 am »

Bug: If i choose No Text Labels in the customize toolbar and click on OK, everything's fine, even if i quit MC. But if No Text Labels was already selected when i enter the customize window and that i just move a button up or down, the Text Options still says No Text Labels but if i quit MC and come back, MC reverted to Selective Text on Right.

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2003, 06:53:32 am »

1. Fixed: Ripping to mpeg plus format (enc_mpc plugin) would hang at unpredictable times.

Not fixed at my end. Same thing happens as the last two builds.

Another thing re mpc: when converting one format to mpc, I notice that the encoding process until freeze, is very very very slow, compared to the normal encoding speed of mpc. Something is wrong.

It was cool when you did the new mpc plugin for v9, but something went wrong since the last 3 builds.

JohnT

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2003, 07:37:55 am »

Not fixed at my end. Same thing happens as the last two builds.
The updated plugin didn't get posted on the web site yesterday. It is there now. The correct version is 2.0.9.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2003, 07:49:39 am »

I liked the new grouping of playlists.

It will make global filtering much more useful. (You can collect the playlists to be used in a filter in a single FILTER group).

JohnT

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2003, 07:52:05 am »

Another thing re mpc: when converting one format to mpc, I notice that the encoding process until freeze, is very very very slow, compared to the normal encoding speed of mpc. Something is wrong.
Wait for version 2.0.10 of the plugin to be posted. It fixes this problem as well. It will be posted in the next hour or so.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2003, 08:01:38 am »

This is a problem with 124 but I don't know if y'all are still monitoring that bug thread and I'm afraid to use either of the last 2 builds.

Ripping or playing the last track on a purchased cda will sometimes cause MC to crash.  And when this happens my Yamaha 2200 cd player will show numerous errors in XP's event log then sometimes disappears entirely for the device manager.  But, XP's Media Player will play/rip those last tracks fine.

TimB

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2003, 08:50:16 am »

Sorting by clicking on column headers still isn't working. :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

farmore

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2003, 09:05:51 am »

Importing files into MC only imports JPG files and skips all MP3 files. If I import files from an external application all works well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up