INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Mass Storage Devices  (Read 1094 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
USB Mass Storage Devices
« on: March 07, 2003, 11:35:16 pm »

Hi guys,

My digital camera arrived on Tuesday and I can't wait!

I have been doing a bit of research and it seems that my camera will connect to my PC and be seen as a USB Mass Storage device. This is grand, because it's easy to plug in a work etc. and XP handles such devices well.

However, I own a 64MB Flash Ram drive which is also seen and works as a USB MSD.

I've been experimenting with it a little and have a few comments (which may be unfounded, but here they are nevertheless!):

There doesn't seem to be any EASY way of downloading information from the device (which appears as a handheld device). Getting stuff up to it is a breeze (queue the files and then send).

Given that MC is a fully multimedia app, surely there should be some more intuitive ways of downloading images from cameras, handhelds and the like? For cameras, dataflow is not in the "normal" direction.

It is possible to do a file copy/move, but this is cumbersome and requires navigating around a tree in My Computer and the like. I would really like to be able to set up a default folder with some rules for creating subfolders (ie: each "roll of film" in its own folder, maybe the date of download etc...) and basically be able to find my camera in the handhelds section, right click on it and say "download".

Also, I don't know that there is anyway to do this (since it requires a full download, as far as I can tell) to show thumbnails of what's on the camera.

Much appreciated:)

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: USB Mass Storage Devices
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 02:26:09 pm »

I have a digital camera with a USB connection and also a USB card reader. Both show up as "Removable Drives" but when connected to the computer function just like another hard drive. Under "Windows Explorer" you can drag and drop to your hearts content. It's still a tree to navigate but so is Media Center. Surely you used "File Manager" in Windows 3.1 and before that DOSSHELL in DOS 4.0 through 6.2. It works the same way.
Having said all that, if MC could have a customizable "Send To ..." function, that might be just the thing. You could add or subtract whatever image files you wanted and send to whatever MSD you wished.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 02:35:54 pm »

We know we could do a better job of making this easy.  We just haven't gotten around to it yet.  It probably won't get in this version now but it won't be long.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 10:08:41 pm »

Hi Jim,

Will look forward to it!

Hi C8,

Yup, I know that I can do it that way, it just seems quite a convoluted way for something that supports images. Downloading stuff from a camera is a vital function which needs to be made easier.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 10:25:02 am »

P,
Yeah, I know. I agree. My delivery seems to need work.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up