INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC30, Windows 11, Media Network - problem controlling DLNA device [Solved]  (Read 2323 times)

gmpugh

I'm reasonably experienced and have never gotten stuck before, but I simply can't figure out how to solve my problem despite looking through many forum posts.

System: Dell XPS 13 9320 laptop, ethernet connection to private network in my house
MC 30
NAD C338 (built-in Chromecast) in living room
JRemote controller on iPhone
Windows Defender (exceptions entered)
Windows media streaming options allowed for local network (shows Media players on this computer, Laptop, and Living Room Speaker)
Media network set up
NAD shows up under Playing Now
NAD shows up in JRiver
Network directory shows:
     Laptop (Properties: MC 30.0.26 at IP address chosen by DHCP and port 52199)
     Laptop (Generic DLNA) (Properties same as above)
     Laptop: JRiver (Properties: Microsoft Window Media Player Sharing)
     Living Room Speaker (Properties: NAD Amplifier C338 connected to IP address on same network)

Plays fine to local speakers via Line Out
Try to play to NAD and get "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device.... Something went wrong with playback"
Whitebear Analyser finds server and renderer
Renderer info: all seems fine, all supported except SetNextSupport and SyncPlay, so disabled SetNextSupport in DLNA Controller Options
Server settings match
Whitebear renderer tests play tones via NAD

BUT, no matter what audio format I try, I always get the error when trying to play from MC

Suggestions? I've tried everything I know. Thanks!

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC30, Windows 11, Media Network - problem controlling DLNA device
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 12:35:41 pm »

MC does not do Chromecast natively, the renderer needs to look like DLNA to MC. 
Based on NAD C338 specs my guess is it does not appear as a DLNA renderer on the network.  Chromecast-built-in and Bluetooth specs yes, but no mention of DLNA.  Unfortunately that is typical of NAD.
But then I'm a little surprised Whitebear plays to it - what does the Whitebear Renderer Information tab say about the NAD?

You don't mention anything about BubbleUPnP https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/ .

Have you tried running a BubbleUPnP server on your Dell XPS so that the Chromecast looks like DLNA to the MC Server?
With old Google Chromecast Audio dongles I get the same MC error message as you if I do not run BubbleUPnP on the server.  My preference is their "Windows service installer" which runs automatically without login.

gmpugh

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 01:50:38 pm »

I should have mentioned: this worked fine on a previous computer running a previous version of MC. No issues at all with the NAD not appearing as a DLNA renderer. So, something seems to have changed, either in Windows 11 or in MC.

gmpugh

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 01:54:49 pm »

Here's the screenshot of the Whitebear renderer info tab.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 02:16:07 pm »

MC30 has a new SSDP utility under Services > Media Network.  It might tell you something.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 02:22:04 pm »

Whitebear report is very interesting. 
FYI, attached is the Whitebear report for one of my Google Chromecast dongles with BubbleUPnP server running.
The UPnP Device Type is identical to that of the NAD, as are the three renderer Services.

Is port 38400 open to MC on your router / security software?  Per your Whitebear, that's where the Renderer Services are located.

Updates:  Now I am not sure if your Port 38400 really needs to be open.  I've attached the list of five ports used by my MC Servers: 1900 is UDP, the other 4 are TCP/IP.  For sure, these are all opened in my firewall software.   However this list (and my firewall software) does not include renderer Port 55012 shown in Whitebear, AFAICT (my other Google Chromecast dongle has the same renderer Port 55012 with the rest of its address somewhat different).  Since Whitebear finds and plays to your NAD, seems to me there are no issues about the NAD being discoverable on the network.

I should have mentioned: this worked fine on a previous computer running a previous version of MC. No issues at all with the NAD not appearing as a DLNA renderer. So, something seems to have changed, either in Windows 11 or in MC.
"Silly" question - have you power-cycled the NAD and rebooted computer?

Try setting up router to use fixed IP addresses for all devices on the LAN (LAN setup address reservation), rather than DHCP for everything.

As a test, can you re-install previous working version, side-by-side with MC30, then restore previous version from one of its backups?  If that still works, it eliminates Win11 and current state of the NAD from the equation.  Then maybe try restoring MC30 settings from the same backup.  Always reboot computer and power-cycle the NAD when trying stuff like this.

You can always install BubbleUPnP Server - it's quick, easy, free, works out of the box for me with MC.  Maybe that will reset something in your system, and then you can always shut it down, even uninstall it if no longer needed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 02:33:59 pm »

It looks like you're running on a custom port: 38400.  Try 52199. 

Which ever port you use, it may need to be opened in the firewalls of the machines.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 02:50:06 pm »

I didn't see anything useful for this issue in the MC Tree > Services & Plug-ins > Reporter screen.

However MC Services & Plug-ins > Media Network > Summary (All Servers) lists the ports used by MC servers.
The SSDP (Device Discovery) button in the same screen lists all your network devices as seen by MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 03:10:52 pm »

The SSDP (Device Discovery) button in the same screen lists all your network devices as seen by MC.
Does your device show up?  Try opening it.

See if you can use Panel to play to it.

gmpugh

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 02:53:32 am »

Well, after trying static IP assignments and port forwarding and having no luck, I cleared all of it and installed BubbleUPnP, per markf2748's advice. Another version of NAD C338 with (DLNA) after it is now listed under playing now and it works! Things don't look any different in the overview from the Media Network service or SSDP, except the latter now shows the BubbleUPnP Server Service, JRiver on my laptop, and the NAD C338 with the same IP address.

To answer some lingering questions:
Yes, I had restarted everything before - modem, router, computer, NAD, the works - to no avail.
My device showed up in SSDP and I could open its web page. I have never used Panel so didn't try that.
The obvious question about looking at my old setup is valid. I moved the computer and hadn't set it up with another monitor, etc., and was loathe to bring it back. But it's a very good question as to just what changed. I might check it out at some point, but right now I'm just happy it's working (thanks for the tip, markf2748!) and happy I get an extra hour of sleep tonight after staying up to get this sorted.

GoodEnoughGear

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 03:21:23 am »

Hi folks, getting freezing/locking up type behavior on Win 11 21H2 as well as 22H2. This manifests as excessive buffering when loading a radio station (Radio Paradise as an example), but also when starting up and closing down and sporadically in between.

Testing on 21H2 at the moment, disabled DLNA/network to reduce startup work, and took a look at execution times in the log. I noticed there is an 8 second span to initialize the view, which seems long to me:

0000454: 27852: General: CMCViewContainerWnd::Create: Initializing
-- A bunch of CMediaInfoArraySort::Sort: calls, all fractions of a millisecond
0008505: 27852: General: CMCViewContainerWnd::Create: Finish (8051 ms)

There does not seem to be anything to account for the time taken in the logs that I can see, but maybe this helps. I'll post more as I find it.

Windows Specs:

Edition   Windows 11 Pro
Version   21H2
Installed on   ‎2021/‎10/‎17
OS build   22000.1165
Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1165.0

Intel 10700K, 32GB RAM, 1tb NVME SSD

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 11:12:23 am »

Well, after trying static IP assignments and port forwarding and having no luck, I cleared all of it and installed BubbleUPnP, per markf2748's advice. Another version of NAD C338 with (DLNA) after it is now listed under playing now and it works! Things don't look any different in the overview from the Media Network service or SSDP, except the latter now shows the BubbleUPnP Server Service, JRiver on my laptop, and the NAD C338 with the same IP address.
Really glad to hear it's working for you!  Thanks for sharing.

Re static IP addresses - I personally prefer that, knowing the addresses of all my devices are fixed and clearly recognizable.  It is often recommended in the blogs to solve home LAN issues.  Port forwarding is not needed for playback inside your LAN.  "(DLNA)" following the device name in MC's Playing Now is normal with BubbleUPnP - I see that for the Chromecast dongles.  It also appears that way in my Android player apps, sometimes duplicated as you describe, depending on the app.  Re backwards testing, I meant for that to be tried on your new Dell XPS, but separate hardware side-by-side is an alternative if ever so inclined.

FYI, I run an original classic NAD Stereo Amplifier 3020 in my bedroom, my first piece of real stereo gear, purchased a few decades ago.  So NAD has a special place in my heart!   However I am a little disappointed in NAD's modern line up, because it is so focused on BluOS and at least appears to intentionally omit DLNA - a marketing error in my opinion.

I "updated" the 3020 to wireless with a Google Chromecast dongle (originally $35) and its optical SPDIF out to iFi nano iOne DAC, all "powered" by MC and BubbleUPnP server for a few years now.  Initially there were some stability issues (mostly WiFi related), but they've been wrung out and all has been pretty solid for the last year, especially with latest Bubble versions.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 10:41:42 am »

However I am a little disappointed in NAD's modern line up, because it is so focused on BluOS and at least appears to intentionally omit DLNA - a marketing error in my opinion.

I agree 100%. I was looking to buy the NAD 778 but ended up purchasing an Arcam AVR10 instead because it supported DLNA and the NAD didn't.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 11:09:13 am »

I agree 100%. I was looking to buy the NAD 778 but ended up purchasing an Arcam AVR10 instead because it supported DLNA and the NAD didn't.
This should not turn into a vendor rant thread, but the new NAD just irks me so much.  How can they advertise "WiFi" in new products, yet not support UPnP/DLNA, even at just the renderer level?  Based on other threads, that has outright misled multiple buyers.  The OP is lucky to at least have Chromecast support, which is not provided in their more expensive recent products.  Yet NAD was an early and vocal supporter of MQA, still another regrettable position.  Likely many customers are delighted with BluOS, but I remain disappointed in their move towards a proprietary player at the price of basic inclusivity.

FYI - further info on NAD 338 / Chromecast / BubbleUPnP App (independent from BubbleUPnP Server discussed above):
https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500010469862-How-to-Connect-My-NAD-C-338-via-UPnP-
I have the app installed on my Android phone, alongside JRemote2, JRiver Panel, and MO 4Media. 

SamNorthernlights

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 11:17:12 am »

Hi Folks. I thought I report my problem here as well. I run MC 30 on an Intel NUC (8gb ram) running Windows 11 22H2 I think (the very latest updates anyway) connected directly to my router via Ethernet with a fixed IP address and control it with JRemote to play to various end points.

Unlike other posts it plays to everything fine. However over the past couple of weeks my NUC has crashed almost daily leaving me unable to access it and needing a forced switch off. I initially  thought of Windows file corruption so ran all repair sequences I could think of and all seems ok. So maybe drivers out of date, so have looked for all optional updates in Windows Update and applied these. Still crashed out completely yesterday.

On a whim, not sure why it occurred to me, but I went back to using MC 29 today and I have to say, so far this has been the longest period I have enjoyed without a complete Windows crash. Listening now and all well. Will see how it goes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2022, 12:40:35 pm »

Could be antivirus.  Check the Windows Defender thread here.  Don't use anything else.

SamNorthernlights

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 12:42:53 pm »

Thanks JimH for the suggestion. I think you maybe intended to put a link in your reply, but I did find a post about Defender and adding exceptions. I have tried this but my NUC is still crashing with MC30 running. I have gone back to MC29 now and it has not crashed in weeks so it seems I’m stuck on that version.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 12:35:44 pm »

With MC 30, did you try Help > Logging ?
Also, in Windows, there is Computer Management > Event Viewer, which is seldom useful but you never know, it may give a clue.

SamNorthernlights

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 03:53:00 pm »

Thanks markf2748 for the logging suggestion and it seems to have provided the answer. I am not going to pretend for one second I understood anything within the logs, but I figured if I looked at the last entries in the log something might jump out. What I did see was a lot of reference to my Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer. At first I wasn’t sure if this meant anything, then I remembered the crashing problems had started to happen not long after I decided to connect my NUC directly to the CXNv2 via USB and installed the Cambridge Audio ASIO driver. But not immediately which deflected my attention from that as a possible issue. I’m now pretty sure the crashes started very soon after I selected the Cambridge Audio driver as an output device from within MC30. But I never did this with MC29 so I now think that is why when MC29 was running there were no Windows crashes.

So I unplugged the CXNv2 from the USB and restarted MC30 and all has been well. I have even reconnected the CXNv2 via USB to the NUC (for Qobuz streaming purposes) but NOT used this from MC30 and all is still well.

Sorry about the late reply but wanted to be sure of the outcome before posting. So it would seem something about USING the USB connection to the CXNv2, not just that it is plugged in, is the catalyst for the Windows crashes. Thanks again for the suggestion and it seems sorted. I don’t need this connection for MC30 as I use JRemote to push music over Ethernet to the CXNv2.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 06:12:45 pm »

This should not turn into a vendor rant thread, but the new NAD just irks me so much.  How can they advertise "WiFi" in new products, yet not support UPnP/DLNA, even at just the renderer level?  Based on other threads, that has outright misled multiple buyers.  The OP is lucky to at least have Chromecast support, which is not provided in their more expensive recent products.  Yet NAD was an early and vocal supporter of MQA, still another regrettable position.  Likely many customers are delighted with BluOS, but I remain disappointed in their move towards a proprietary player at the price of basic inclusivity.
To be fair, I'm happy to see that NAD just announced a relatively low-cost, Endpoint Network Streamer, Model CS1 (WiFi and ethernet) that will support UPnP/DLNA.  It is intended to work with third-party music players  :), and there is not even a mention of BluOS in the specs.  Makes me wonder if they are responding to this thread!
https://nadelectronics.com/nad-electronics-announces-cs1-network-audio-streamer/

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 09:23:08 pm »

Sorry about the late reply but wanted to be sure of the outcome before posting. So it would seem something about USING the USB connection to the CXNv2, not just that it is plugged in, is the catalyst for the Windows crashes. Thanks again for the suggestion and it seems sorted. I don’t need this connection for MC30 as I use JRemote to push music over Ethernet to the CXNv2.
@SamNorthernlights - Thanks for reporting back, glad to hear you narrowed it down and sorted with a use-case work around.

Normally MC has no problem driving a USB DAC directly connected to the PC it is running on.  I do this every day with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS plugged into an Intel NUC (updated Win 11 Pro 64-bit), using RME's drivers (either ASIO or WASAPI versions).  I also did it with an iFi USB DAC in the past, using iFi's drivers.  If you have ruled out the USB cable (swap cables) and the NUC's specific USB port (plug directly, no hub, try different port), then I'd say it points to an issue with the CXNv2 ASIO driver.  Does Cambridge provide a WASAPI driver alternative?  Confirm your MC driver selection and settings in Windows > Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Device > Properties.

To pursue the USB issue further, I suggest:  Load latest version of MC30 and the CXNv2 driver, generate a new log file, and send it to JRiver for deciphering (or try posting a few lines here).  If confirmed the crash is likely due to a Cambridge driver, then send the info to Cambridge Audio and get their guidance / request driver update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up