INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR - Frame Drops w/AMD 6600XT [Solved]  (Read 1044 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
JRVR - Frame Drops w/AMD 6600XT [Solved]
« on: December 08, 2022, 10:28:33 am »

I have new PC W / AMD 6600XT video and core i7 12700k. 

With JRVR and video pre-select option at the lowest config option (performance for low end/laptops/older machines), dropped frames climb rather quickly on some of my 1080i videos.

Switching to red october madVR, and frame drops disappear, and the video is noticeably smoother.  When I select options such as JINC in MadVR (which I believe is more GPU intensive), playback is smooth and I don't see the dropped frames.

I can't post the ctl-j stats, but hopefully later on I'll be back at the computer. 

PS: This might sound a little silly to those better versed in video terminology, but .... Although I know how to view the statistics, I don't really understand what I am looking at.
If someone could point me to explanation of what they mean so I can better interpret what is going wrong, it would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, any thoughts on what could be going on?

Doesn't seem to be driver related, since I get good playback with madVR, and although graphics card is middle of road, it seems like if it can keep up with madVR it should do ok with JRVR on same videos.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRVR - Frame Drops w/AMD 6600XT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 10:47:14 am »

Your AMD 6600XT is more than 3 times as powerfull as my old GTX 960 (medium settings). So it should work for you at high level.
- Check if you have enabled hardware accelerate video decoding when possible
- Enable video clock
- Try to use JRVR Shader (YDAIF) for deinterlacing
- Check Display setting is minimum to automatic change mode
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:59:29 am »

I had problems with frame drops on ULPC Vega 3 iGPUs using JRVR that were seemingly unrelated to performance, which led me to switch to Intel.

But I don't have those issues on my 5600G w/ Vega 8, which sits somewhere between those chips and your GPU. I had always figured that more performance headroom was probably masking the problem, but maybe there is something else at play on AMD hardware.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 01:42:42 pm »

Here's some more info. 
Basically whenever Deinterlacing mode is configured as Video Hardware - D3D11, I have numerous frame drops even when JRVR is configured for lowest GPU configurations (old machine/laptop)

Changing deinterlacing from D3D11 to JRVR YADIF largely alleviates the issue, and I can increase processing power.  Of course, there is limit to advanced options that my card handles, but the increased options that work seem more indicative of what my card should be able to process.

Have no idea what this all means, but it seems as though the video hardware setting does not work properly for my AMD configuration.
Then again, as I mentioned earlier, I don't understand the stats from the ctl-j display ::)

Any ideas welcome, otherwise I'll just stick with MadVR for now.  Perhaps there is equivalent D3D11 option in MadVR that can be tested?  I'll have to look around for that.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 05:21:34 pm »

D3D11 deinterlacing causing such issues is not all that surprising. There is a bit of history with that being an issue on AMD.
madVR does not use D3D11 deinterlacing, it uses a much older way to do it, since madVR itself is still primarily a D3D9 renderer, which may not suffer from the same problems - but its not flexible enough to really be of use to us in JRVR, which is purely D3D11.

JRVR YADIF deinterlacing is not necessarily worse, in fact it can be better, if anything its quality is consistent and predictable. So if you are happy with that, no reason not to use it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:16:58 pm »

Well, that is very disappointing about AMD.  Talk about buyer's remorse, at least in this lower GPU price range.
At least I have options other than using D3D11, but really seems like their product should just work properly with D3D11.

PS: Overclocking the board seems to "fix" things, but it just doesn't seem right to overclock for something like this. 

Thanks Hendrik.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 09:42:55 pm »

Did you toggle hardware acceleration?

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 09:59:54 pm »

Yes, tried toggling the acceleration on and off, but made little difference.
It's hard to remember at this point, but I'm pretty sure that frame drops stayed around the same even when I turned off hardware acceleration.  That was surprising to me, as I expected them dropped frames to increase with acceleration turned off.

It's as if having D11 turned on kills the performance.  I even have frame drops with the lowest performance template selected.

Also, tried several versions of drivers. 

Anyway, I have other solutions that work, and can always put my older NVidia card into the machine.  Never had problem with that card.

Unless the card is defective (which I've considered), not sure what else I can do ....
Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 04:12:37 pm »

After a bit more testing ...
Turning hardware acceleration off improves the framerate.

I also played around with AMD's Adrenalin performance settings for overclocking.
If I overclock the GPU or the RAM while video is playing, the JRiver output will flicker and then start playing with dropping frames (with d3d11).  Doesn't matter which is overclocked, enabling either one will stop the drops.

If I then turn off the overclocking, setting back to default setting, the video continues to play without dropping frames.  Once the video is stopped and restarted the dropped frames start up again until once again go through the overclock performance settings.

Odd thing is that GPU usage looks the same with or without overclocking.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 09:48:29 am »

Hopefully, this is last post on issue.

It appears to be an issue with all of AMD's latest drivers.  When I initially downloaded drivers the AMD website was at something like 22.10.x (or thereabouts).  The site now only has two drivers listed for download - 22.11.2 and 22.5.1.

Drivers above 22.5.1 have a problem with D3D11.

22.5.1 seem to work fine. 

There is a very occasional dropped frame, but nothing that I am concerned about as playback looks very good.  This is with Jinc and FSRCNNX 8 selected.

So, with this driver version, I am getting the performance I'd expect from this card.
Anyone having problems on AMD with dropped frames, I'd say downgrade to 22.5.1 unless that newest driver has something you need for a game.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRVR - Frame Drops w/AMD 6600XT [Solved]
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 01:39:33 pm »

I can confirm AMD Catalyst 22.11 also has problems with HDR and D3D11 full screen/windowed modes with MadVR and MPC-VR. Catalyst 22.05 works fine.

For me v22.11 has 2 problems with HDR content:

- accessing the context menu or seek bar during play makes it to switch from "fullscreen" to "windowed fullscreen" (still fullscreen but a different composition mode), causing it to stutter and drop some frames. Closing the menu triggers the reverse toggle, dropping a dew more frames.

- the menu and seek bar are rendered in SDR without tone mapping about 80% of the times, making most dialogs unreadable or washed out. Sometimes it showed up fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up